diy solar

diy solar

120 v to 120 v inverter Switch

DavidD

I don’t know if you guys are going to understand this question, the title may not be very good, but…

I have a small trailer conversion that is wired for 120v hookups. After I bought it I installed a 12 v solar system since we plan on doing some dry camping also. I have 3 appliances that run on 120 v, 2 of which can use either 120 v or 12 v. One of these will need an inverter to run off the battery. They all plug into regular house type outlets.

Is there a way, to switch from shore power going through the 120 v wiring to 120 v from the inverter? (when the inverter is switched on) I would like a convenient way to switch between the 2 sources without having to go around and unplug an replug things and mess with extension cords, etc. — without the danger of mixing the 2 sources and burning something out… or worse.

I hope you get what I’m trying to say.

I guess you need a power inverter with ac transfer switch,such as

AIMS Power PWRIX200012SUL 2000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter with Transfer Switch 12 VDC to 120 VAC ETL Listed

Designed for the UK 240v ect. but I'm sure you can find similar in the states

This one automatically switches between inverter & ths mains (utility) , generally prioritises the mains . Even with this you will still have to turn your inverter on and off manually

The other option is to find an inverter with 'ac pass-through' ,

The simplest option to work with your existing equipment is a transfer switch.

Hi,

I have a small trailer and have an inverter and transfer switch installed. Here's a picture. The transfer switch has input from 120 and inverter and output to the fuse/breaker box. The transfer switch allows all the 120 outlets and devices to work, using the inverter, when running off battery power. 120 V has priority (via a relay inside transfer switch) when receiving power from shore power and inverter.

Electrical Compartment.jpg

Back