diy solar

diy solar

1200 Amp bus bars?

Darcy Costa Rica

Hello, this is my first post. I recently ordered a system with 2 battery racks capable of outputting 600 amps each. They need to be joined to connect to the inverters. The vendor said I needed to source 1200 Amp bus bars, but so far I have not been able to find any. I'm sure they are out there. Any leads would be appreciated.

Hello, this is my first post. I recently ordered a system with 2 battery racks capable of outputting 600 amps each. They need to be joined to connect to the inverters. The vendor said I needed to source 1200 Amp bus bars, but so far I have not been able to find any. I'm sure they are out there. Any leads would be appreciated.
Please provide a product link to the inverter.
Also to the battery and rack.

Welcome!

Could you provide a bit more detail on your set up? A battery rack capable of 600 amps would be rather uncommon. Is each rack six 48v batteries in parallel? If that was the case you've likely got a battery rack capable of 100 amps continuous.

Welcome!

Could you provide a bit more detail on your set up? A battery rack capable of 600 amps would be rather uncommon. Is each rack six 48v batteries in parallel? If that was the case you've likely got a battery rack capable of 100 amps continuous.
6x 100a BMS's is capable of 600a continuous, no?

14,000-14,300w at 275a depending on batt voltage. So its pretty close. Either way, what loads would you have to power to do that continuously??

14,000-14,300w at 275a depending on batt voltage. So its pretty close. Either way, what loads would you have to power to do that continuously??
Can’t imagine anything residential.

The Victron Power In is another option. Bought for around $150 on Amazon and it solved a lot of issues for me. I couldn’t construct both a negative and positive bus bar for that.

At 11600w I see around 198 amps, I'm using .25 copper plate. Looks like they are listed 6800W each so the max amps would be just slightly more than what I see.

Found my camera: 3rd image is my blue sea 1000 amp busbars I use to combine the batteries, scc, inverters.

Attachments

• P9260056.JPG
    P9260056.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 16
  • PB220207.JPG
    PB220207.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 16
  • PB220210.JPG
    PB220210.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Well I would size my Bus bars according to max load and then some. For me I have a Sol Ark 15 (275 A max). I currently have 4 230Ah batteries (soon to be 6). Each battery BMS can output 200a. So I wouldn’t need an 800 amp bus bar although my bus bar is rated at 1000a. When I get my additional 2 batteries using their logic I would need 1200 a bus bars which is incorrect. The wire would fail way before the bus bars went. So size your bus bars to the max load of the inverter with some headroom.

Battery voltage will play a big part in that. Current difference from 48v to 56v is a big difference.

Sig Solar strikes again.
Is this good or bad? :confused:

I know there are an infinite number of options for solar but I chose this system. I will need to live with it. Hopefully, it will serve my needs in Costa Rica. I will be assembling it myself, so you may get tired of my posts. :)

One of the reasons I purchased it this way is the duty in Costa Rica. Separate components (batteries) have 46% duty. If they are part of a kit, the duty is 13%. Huge difference when buying 2 racks.

Is this good or bad? :confused:

I know there are an infinite number of options for solar but I chose this system. I will need to live with it. Hopefully, it will serve my needs in Costa Rica. I will be assembling it myself, so you may get tired of my posts. :)

One of the reasons I purchased it this way is the duty in Costa Rica. Separate components (batteries) have 46% duty. If they are part of a kit, the duty is 13%. Huge difference when buying 2 racks.
Sig Solar sales and support drop the ball more often than a blind basketball team.
Hopefully that is just growing pains.

The kit comes with a PDP(power distribution panel).
I would like to see what is in the PDP before we start to make balance of system purchases.
Also as has been already said you don't need 1200 amps.
800 fault amps(640 service amps) would be fine.

Last edited:
You will be ok in the end we are haggling over semantics. I would have made the same decision. 50 ways to skin that cat

diy solar

diy solar
Back