diy solar

diy solar

120V generator on Grid input of Sol-Ark 15K

I have a Sol Ark in an offgrid setup and would like to utilize a 120V generator (EV back charge) to charge my batteries on cloudy days. Would this setup work:

1) Use a step up transformer to convert to single phase 220V. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yinleader-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-VTUS-5000/dp/B09LQXP8R2

2) Connect that to the Sol Ark and select the "220V Single Phase" generator input setting on Sol Ark.

How would this compare to the Chargeverter? It's a little cheaper. Maybe less efficient? Thanks.

I'm getting a 15k installed soon and will be following up with batteries.
I currently have a 120V generator that I have wired to supply both legs of the house (ie: 240V devices see 0V, everything else sees 120V -- don't do this if you don't know what you're doing and if you have any shared neutral wiring).

I am 100% going to use a Chargeverter. Yes, there is a small efficiency hit from going AC (gen) to DC (batt) to AC (house), but there is a massive benefit to not caring about the generator power quality. Everything in the house will only see AC from the 15k.
Furthermore, the Chargeverter can easily be set for the maximum output of the generator. So I can start the generator, run a certain amount of fuel through it and dump the energy into the batteries, and then turn it off -- I don't have to go baby-sit the generator. The 15k can probably do this too, but I'll just find the Chargeverter simpler.

As an aside, I'm really looking forward to having the batteries enabling me to stop caring about the peak power the house uses (assuming it is within the much higher limits of the 15k), and only care about the average power.

Back