diy solar

diy solar

12v DC motors

Rogli

Hey mates. I recently came across some 12v DC motors. The one I have right now is 12v takes 12A on load (installed in screw pump to lift water from underground tank to the upper tank).
The new motor that I came across a scrap shop was said to be 500 watts. Can I replace my 12v 12 amps motor with that 500 watts motor (assuming it really is 12v because nothing mentioned on the motor, it is used but in working condition) to increase the lift and pressure of water? I am assuming that I will need to input more amps to the motor then or motor will take how many amps it needs itself? But the load shall be the same (lift height since my upper tank is fixed) but will the pressure increase? After all, it is a 500w motor much heavy duty than my current motor.

Are you referring to an Archimedes' screw pump? I've seen them operating, but I've never tried to run one of them. I'd assume the new motor would be using 500W/12V = 41.66A of current. That's almost 4X the amount of current your previous motor draws, so I would not try to recycle any of the wiring utilized by the original pump. I'd assume with a more powerful motor, it would turn the screw faster? Just guessing here, considering I've never operated one.

I don't think there is any kind of pressure increase here, assuming both tanks are vented? I think you would get larger volume, not greater pressure?

What's powering your motor? If it can't supplt 12 volts at 40 or 50 amps, I think you'll have problems. I agree you'll need all new wiring and fuses

Don

The new motor that I came across a scrap shop was said to be 500 watts. Can I replace my 12v 12 amps motor with that 500 watts motor (assuming it really is 12v because nothing mentioned on the motor, it is used but in working condition)
Get someone to take a look to see what voltage it is.
500w...probably mains voltage!

Back