diy solar

diy solar

12VDC Router w/ 40W Max

SolarNewbTPA

Hello, I am wanting to power my Peplink Balance 30 Router from my solar system. This router runs native 12V, but ships with an AC adapter which is 110 AC to 12V DC / 5 AMP / 60 Watt. The device itself lists 12V with a 40 Watt Max. I am attempting to eliminate the AC adapter, but the device will not power on that way. I am thinking the issue here is with the 40W max specification on the device. Thankfully I did not toast the router on my first attempt as it still runs correctly from the AC adapter.

I am thinking of adding a 4Ω resistor and trying again. Will this solve my problem? If so, did I do my Watts to Ohms math correctly? If not, what am I missing? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of adding a 4Ω resistor and trying again. Will this solve my problem? If so, did I do my Watts to Ohms math correctly? If not, what am I missing? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Hope you are not trying to power the router directly with an unregulated output directly from solar panels? Any solar panel even if its marketed and sold as 12V is going to have output variations based on outdoor conditions that almost certainly will at times be outside the operating range of the router. Normally a battery would be used as the power source for the router then solar would be used to maintain the battery via a solar charge controller.

A resistor is not needed since the router will only draw what it needs to as long as the voltage is in range. Hypothetically if you had a 24V system you could either use a small 24 to 12V DC DC buck converter or a resistor. In the case of a resistor, it would be best to measure the actual current usage of the router and then choose the resistor to limit current at that value based on the voltage of the source. As stated 40W is the max, not necessarily the typical operating current.

Bottom line: The router needs a regulated power supply otherwise your next post may very well be in the section of the Forum titled. "Up in Smoke".

Hope you are not trying to power the router directly with an unregulated output directly from solar panels? Any solar panel even if its marketed and sold as 12V is going to have output variations based on outdoor conditions that almost certainly will at times be outside the operating range of the router. Normally a battery would be used as the power source for the router then solar would be used to maintain the battery via a solar charge controller.

A resistor is not needed since the router will only draw what it needs to as long as the voltage is in range. Hypothetically if you had a 24V system you could either use a small 24 to 12V DC DC buck converter or a resistor. In the case of a resistor, it would be best to measure the actual current usage of the router and then choose the resistor to limit current at that value based on the voltage of the source. As stated 40W is the max, not necessarily the typical operating current.

Bottom line: The router needs a regulated power supply otherwise your next post may very well be in the section of the Forum titled. "Up in Smoke".
BentleyJ, no I suppose I should have posted more details about the system. I am not attempting to connect anything directly to the panels. I am new, but I am not that new LOL. I have 400 Watt panels connected to a 40 AMP MPPT Controller. The controller connects to buss bars containing (3) 12V LiPo 100Ah batteries in parallel. I am attempting to eliminate the AC power supply and connect the router to the output side of my 12V system. Is it possible that this device needs a perfect (regulated) 12V? If so is there such a thing as a DC to DC regulated power supply. The router is angry about something, maybe its is the ~14V on the bus bar?

I don't follow you on this.

Are you using battery voltage or regulated 12V?
sunshine_eggo. I am attempting to use Battery voltage. I think the missing link might be the regulated power supply. The other response from BentleyJ also cited a regulated power supply. So, it seems that I need to start searching for regulated power supplies.

I use a trash-picked Belkin UPS for regulated power to my sensitive wireless router and fiber modem. Output and charging is 3A. Everything else in my office (Surface tablet car charger, fan, lights, USB ports) I connect direct to the battery as they are unaffected by the swing in voltage. Easy to find used cheap units on eBay.

Measure the amp draw on your router, 40W seems suspect.

Attachments

• 12V UPS.jpg
    12V UPS.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
sunshine_eggo. I am attempting to use Battery voltage. I think the missing link might be the regulated power supply. The other response from BentleyJ also cited a regulated power supply. So, it seems that I need to start searching for regulated power supplies.

I suspect that's the issue.

Amazon has plenty of 8-40V to 12V regulated supplies. I use one for my wifi access point and MiniPC running my BMS software.

Thank you both for your help and input! I have some cheap regulated supplies on the way. I also have a bunch of old UPS’ that have not been recycled yet. I will definitely cannibalize a few of those.

Back