diy solar

diy solar

14 - 455 Watt panels (49.35 Voc, 11.44 Isc) one EG4 6500 EX Optimal Array

LunarLaura

What is the optimal array configuration for 14 panels that are ground mounted?
14-455 Watt panels (49.35 Voc, 11.44 Isc)
one EG4 6500 EX controller/Inverter
offgrid only.

Charge controller:
Rated PV - 8000W
Max PV Array Open Circuit Voltage Input - 500Vdc
PV Array MPPT Voltage Range - 90Vdc~450Vdc
Solar array:
2 rows of 7 serially connected panels - can I connect 7 in serial?
49.35 VOC x 7 = 345.45 volts
11.44 ISC (amps) x 2 = 22.88 amps
Total watts = 345.45 x 22.88 = 7904W (below 8000W controller rating)

Last edited:
It depends... Any shading issues?
7S2P would be my first choice.
Have you looked at PVWatts or SunCalc?
Location?

Edit, listen to bones1 below, 7 on each input.

Last edited:
Sounds exactly like the panels I have.

Like @bones1 said, you could do 7 in series on each mppt. The max amperage on each mppt for the 6500s is 18a, so you really wouldn’t be able to parallel those panels together.

yes, the inverter/charger has 2 MPPTs
so two rows of 7 in series, each row connected to one mppt and no hybrid/parallel connection. If during the day, part of the array is shaded, will it get any charge? Solarever HC 144 455 Watt has a feature called "low light performance"

Direct shading will diminish the charging capability of the array. All depends on if something is partially or completely covered. I have my arrays in different positions so if one does get shaded, the other one should be in full sun.

I think the "low light performance" is different that "shading performance". If it's cloudy, the panels may perform better because there's no actual shading on the panels. Anytime there's shading, it will hurt your performance unless you put optimizers on each panel (at least I think they're supposed to help. never used them).

yes, the inverter/charger has 2 MPPTs
so two rows of 7 in series, each row connected to one mppt and no hybrid/parallel connection. If during the day, part of the array is shaded, will it get any charge? Solarever HC 144 455 Watt has a feature called "low light performance"
Did you get these setup? If so, did all go as planned? The panel specs sound like Canadian Solar bifacials. I have twelve panels setup with 3 strings of four but I want to add more.

Back