diy solar

diy solar

160 amp wiring

reiters

I have done some searches and found a LOT of information but I'm having trouble zeroing in on one definitive answer. Forgive me if this has been answered 1000 times.

I have 6 x EG4 (48v 100AH) batteries connected to 4 x 5000es inverters. I am pushing 160 amps to the batteries when charging. Right now each inverter has #2 connecting to battery busbar in battery cabinet. That is fine but I am having balancing issues. The cables all connect to the top of the busbar and the batteries charge and discharge at different rates based on distance from the cables. As much as 10% over a full charge cycle. Going from 30% in the morning to full, the top 2 will be 100% then 3-6 will be 93% 92% 91% 90%. I would like to bring them closer. I have flipped the busbar in the battery rack on the negatice side and plan to hook the power that way but cables are too short. The plan now is to get 2 busbars to hook the inverters to and one cable from the busbar to the batteries. Still hooking positive to top and negative to bottom. All that to ask this... What size wire would be proper for 160amps constant. I typically push 160amps for several hours each day to fill batteries. The charts seem to say 2/0 for 200 amps (wiggle room). Other places say smaller is fine. I don't want to waste money but also don't wanna do it over or start a fire.

The real problem I have with the charge difference is that 160amps for 6 batteries is fine but when 2 finish before the rest now I am pushing 160 amps to 4 batteries. So on and so forth.

Bonus points if you can tell me the best size chunk of copper to use for the busbar. I'm thinking 1/2 x 1.

Would I be better off using 2x #2 cables from each battery busbar to each invberter busbar. Have 2 negative from the battery to the negative busbar. it it's a 12" busbar then have each cable go to each end of the inverter busbar. Do the same for the positive. I already have some #2 that might be enough if that is an acceptable solution.

Thanks All

Are the cables from the bus to each battery the same length?
Possibly the batteries actually have different internal resistance.

Assuming the battery that gets discharged first also charges first.... I would be tempted to fine tune the batteries, like a musical instrument, with different length cables.

I would make all the battery cables exactly the same length. Then land them all very close together on the same buss bar. That’s how we do it on cell phone sites.

2/0 should be fine. If you flipped the bus, this may solve the problem.

Are the cables from the bus to each battery the same length?
Possibly the batteries actually have different internal resistance.

Assuming the battery that gets discharged first also charges first.... I would be tempted to fine tune the batteries, like a musical instrument, with different length cables.
The cables are the same length from each inverter to the battery cabinet busbar and all the cables from the batteries to the battery cabinet busbar are the same length. The inverters are using their own #2 to the busbar and all 4 inverters are connected to the top of the bus bar within 1 inch of each other.

2/0 should be fine. If you flipped the bus, this may solve the problem.
I agree and was looking for a second opinion. If I am buying a new 2/0 set of cables I am thinking I should add 2 busbars because the inverters hook directly to the battery busbars currently. I found an online cable supplier that will cut to length and add the crimps and heatshrink for me. I've been using welding wire because its so much easier to work with. He charges $5 per end and that includes the end itself. I don't think that too bad. I dont want to buy a crimper. As I get older I try to only buy quality now and just dont wanna spend that money on something I may never use again.

Back