diy solar

diy solar

16Ah Headway Battery

atatistcheff

Solar Enthusiast
I just finished building a LiFePO4 battery for a used APC UPS. I wanted a bit more runtime than the lead acid battery would provide but that's another story. I figured about 16Ah would do me fine and decided to go with Headway cells from batteryhookup.com. In reality, I've been bit by the lithium bug and just needed an excuse to build another battery!

The description is long and boring so if you just want to see it feel free to scroll down to the photos.

If you're not familiar with Headway these are LiFePO4 cells that look sort of like oversized 18650s. What makes them different than typical LiFePO4 though is their crazy C rating. It's on the order of 10C continuous and 25C for short pulses. That means an 8Ah cell can pump out 200 amps! I haven't personally tried it but there are Youtube videos of folks staring a car with four of these in series.

Well, I don't need that kind of power for the UPS but the Headways were cool and the price was really good on these "engineering sample" from Battery Hookup. I bought the plastic holders, bus bars and BMS on eBay. Total cost for the whole battery was about $180. It will run a 220W load for about 35 minutes (the UPS is only about 75% efficient so 35 minutes of runtime is about 90% of the battery pack capacity).

The pack is a 4s2p configuration, the BMS is rated at 60A continuous which is more than enough for the 720VA UPS. The BMS is a 3 wire and I have a separate LiFePO4 charger which I will connect to the BMS charge input. Charger and load use separate XT-60 connectors.

I plan to put it in a plastic ammo box and will probably add some external terminals that bypass the BMS. That way I could use this battery to start a car in an emergency. Heat has not been an issue with my testing. At the 3C discharge rate my UPS needs, the batteries and BMS are barely showing any signs of warmth.

Should have the box this week and I'll update with more photos.

20191201_192314.jpg

20191201_192338.jpg
20191201_192409.jpg
20191201_191210.jpg

The last photo compares the Headway 16Ah to my solar generator with a 60Ah Sinopoly pack from RUiXU. As you can see the Headway pack is nearly as large as the RUiXU battery so these aren't the most compact batteries out there. But they are cool none the less.

20191201_093653.jpg

Last edited:
Some additional photos. Put it in a Plano field box from Amazon and connected some external posts to use for as an emergency jump starter. It starts my Miata just fine! Need to find something to cover those posts and protect against a short though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 8.48.27 AM.png Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 8.48.11 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 8.47.54 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 8.47.40 AM.png Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 8.47.21 AM.png

Very nice build? Thought about that in a harbor freight plastic ammo box.

Another member came up with an effective cover for an exposed terminal that I used for protection on my positive terminal. Works well. Find a pvc pipe cap that fits snuggly over the head of the bolt.

511046B5-A3EB-4BD8-99FF-0A422910132D.jpeg

Or the plastic protectors on a 6 volt torch battery
Or rubbers off a chair leg

If it's a APC Smart Ups you can adjust the charging voltage via the UPSs programming so you're not over/under charging it. The BMS'll handle the low voltage cutoff.

If it's a APC Smart Ups you can adjust the charging voltage via the UPSs programming so you're not over/under charging it. The BMS'll handle the low voltage cutoff.
Thanks for the tip, it is a BackUPS 725 not a SmartUPS so I'm not sure it can be adjusted. For now, I'm using a deep cycle flooded battery with it so I'm not sure this Headway will ever be pressed into service with the UPS.

hi, why dual cables to the terminals? thanks
To allow for more current handling. This battery can put out 400A at 12V and a single 10ga wire is less than adequate by itself. Not saying that 2x10ga can handle this for long but it's better than just one.

Back