diy solar

diy solar

16kw DC Solar with Sol-ark 15k

Not home so cannot confirm but based on the weather at work it is clear blue sunny winter sky and 16F. Looking at the input of the sol-ark I have quite the imbalance on the MPPTs. The only reason I can think of for L1 being so low is that the uphill side of the array, the panel is "close" to the ground and it's possible snow has piled up covering the panel.

In the end I don't think the sol-ark can provide me any more power than it is doing right now, but being able to monitor the system and see these differences makes me want to start investigating....the Sol-Ark says it is outputting 14,789 Watts with that input power.
1705509448084.png

Not home so cannot confirm but based on the weather at work it is clear blue sunny winter sky and 16F. Looking at the input of the sol-ark I have quite the imbalance on the MPPTs. The only reason I can think of for L1 being so low is that the uphill side of the array, the panel is "close" to the ground and it's possible snow has piled up covering the panel.

In the end I don't think the sol-ark can provide me any more power than it is doing right now, but being able to monitor the system and see these differences makes me want to start investigating....the Sol-Ark says it is outputting 14,789 Watts with that input power.
View attachment 189500
The limit on DC PV input power is ~17.9kW so if the batteries aren't full then it could go higher than what you're getting in the screenshot.

The limit on DC PV input power is ~17.9kW so if the batteries aren't full then it could go higher than what you're getting in the screenshot.
No batteries, all excess can be exported to the grid though. L1 though still lagging behind peak wattage wise, haven't been able to go physically go look and see what is up.

No batteries, all excess can be exported to the grid though. L1 though still lagging behind peak wattage wise, haven't been able to go physically go look and see what is up.
It can't export anything over 15kW to the grid

True. Still doesn't explain 3 identical strings with one being so much lower than the other two. Two days ago in similar conditions they were all equal with +/- ~60 watts of each other
I think it might do that when it's output limited

I doubt that would mean it is your costs, for example, your looking at about 10K for having a ground mount array ( vs roof mounted ) based on your number of panels and the msrp of the racking you mentioned the manufacture. ( Add in concrete and other materials to dig, mix, pour, brace and shipping )

Then there is distance, further away, costs go up fast, you need trenching, conduit, wire which is expensive.

My point is not that I am suggesting you are wrong, it's that you do not have your own spreadsheet of costs for your proposed system, so you really don't know. In any solar system, it starts with full plans and bill of materials and labor and quotes on all parts, as every installation is unique.

Getting the money and permits are the last step in the process, from what you have wrote you need a costed BOM.
Project Done. Applying Federal, NYS tax credits AND throwing in the estimated interest on the loan if I don't make any additional principal payments, I'm sitting at 7.5 year ROI. I plan on throwing the much larger refund to the loan which will drop that total interest way down.

Uuuggghhhh, after a windstorm I now have L2 under producing, appears similar to an issue I had before with a loose/bad connection. I must not have zinched down the cabling enough and something moved.

Update: Oops, I must have not had a panel torqued down enough somehow and it was half dangling across some other panels :oops: I blame myself for installing panels during cool fall nights. All back together and working as expected so got lucky there.

Last edited:
At today consumer interest rates, the payback is never for solar, so I am curious what is your reasoning for this? You won't have batteries, so this is just one big gridtie system?
I know this is an old post, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that. My ~$30k system was ~20k after tax credit, and my interest rate was only 4%. My payoff is in 6 years.

Don't try to scare anyone away. Just make sure you run your numbers and ENSURE it makes sense. It doesn't for everyone.

The Sol-Ark 15K can export up to 32kW to the grid. I have mine limited to 25kW as that is the limit for my Qualifying Facility agreement with my utility. I have a mix of DC and AC Coupled PV.
I should have clarified that it won't export more than 15kW without additional AC coupled sources

Back