diy solar

diy solar

16S NMC system (60V nominal)

yabert

Solar Enthusiast
Hi

My goal is to use the highest voltage available from regular 48V components.
I'm designing my electric sailboat system around used EV battery*. So despite 14S NMC is the perfect voltage for 48V system, battery modules from EV are regularly 6S, 8S, 10S or 12S (6S and 8S modules are never in the same battery pack). Up to 23-25S for Tesla 3/Y battery modules.
I thought about going 12S (45V) with 6S or 12S battery module, but two 8S modules look interesting to me (60V) and offer 25% more power.
By example, my ME1507 BLDC motor will output 9.4 kW continuous instead of 7kW. The same is right about peak power (36kW vs 27kW).
So that good for motor/controller, now other components with a voltage range of 51.2V - 65.6V :

Inverter: It look like some 48V inverter can take up to 66-68V at input. Nice! I'm open to suggestion for 120V model (2-3kW is enough).
MPPT: The Victron MPPT is the plan, but I can't find anywhere what they mean by ''adjustable'' (see picture). Still, 64.8V seem good.
Charger: I don't know, I will probably find. Suggestion are welcome for 120-240V 60-50hz adjustable water proof charger who can output up to 66V.

So, any clue about Victron MPPT charge voltage?
Is there something wrong with this plan?

*I will also look at LFP battery module from EV, but at the moment really few information are available except for Tesla 3 LFP 108S battery.

Victron charge voltage adjustable.JPG

Last edited:
Here some nice information about solar panel voltage requirement from Victron MPPT.
So once the MPPT is started, the voltage at max power only need to be +1V than the battery charged.
So, around 66V in my case for a fully charge 16S battery at 65V (4.06V/cell).
Victron voltage solar panel.JPG

Any input or thoughts about my first post?

I've found this charger for 16S https://www.chargerystore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96
Can charge up to 68V and I realized that the voltage adjustment can be really handy as I will probably have other battery onboard with different voltage.
45V or 51V nominal for the dinghy battery and 12V for some other components.

The best should be a little adjustable hobby charger like the Icharger 12X who can act as a super DC-DC converter to charge any battery from any battery.
Like taking energy from the big 60-100 kWh 60V propulsion battery and charge a 1 kWh 51V battery or the 12V battery.
Or even take energy from the 12V battery to charge the 51V battery.
Sadly, this Icharger 12X have an input limited to 53V 😕

diy solar

diy solar
Back