diy solar

diy solar

18kpv Issues

When you get a chance can you review this behavior for me...it's got me a bit spooked.

I am getting strange spikes that are occurring as my DC coupled array is working through the shading period. Big spikes in export, weird AC coupling fluctuations, battery SOC spikes as well.

Anything I need to be worried about or just part of the DC coupled array working itself out with shading?

It didn't do this yesterday and I did have "Battery priority" enabled today so maybe I did change that?

I'm going to leave that disabled for tomorrow's shading period and see if that was the culprit.

View attachment 176433View attachment 176434
Absolutely! Give me a little bit of time so that I can get some responses taken care of, and I will take a look! Shouldn't take me any longer than an hour of so.

I wont know until summer when I rum my AC. Does no good to cycle it when it's cold out

I made a deal that I would stick it out until summer to see. Besides the ac load issue it works great. But if it can't run my 4 ton with soft start it does me no good

Last edited:
I had micro air before i got the inverter. It wouldn't start it at all at first. After numerous updates it's still hit or miss even with soft start. I have already contacted eg4 and they are going to honor the return. I have no idea what is up. 2 6548's ran my AC for 2 summers never a issue.

I'm trying to get someone to check my AC to make sure that there is no issue with it. But I have had 3 people tell me not interested when I tell them I'm running it off inverter. Telling me that's my problem. I tell them they better get up to speed. Now days it's real hard to find someone that really know's how to fix stuff. They just want to replace stuff.

Last edited:
Well, two 6548's would have 13KW of output vs 12KW on the 18kpv. I took no chances, and bought two 18's running in parallel. I'd say your 4T is right on the line needs just a hair more than what a 12KW will do. I did start my Goodman package unit with only one inverter running after I put in the Micro Air as a brown-out test. This was later in the summer, so not when it hit it the hardest starting.

The 6548's have a 12000VA surge rating, so 24000/100A instantaneous from two. Apparently the 18kpv isn't quite that good, couldn't find a spec. SolArk is rated at 24000 for 10 sec.

I'm puzzled why you would replace functional running gear and "upgrade" it with something slightly smaller and more expensive than what you already had. Glad they are taking the return.

Because they were noisy and I wanted to have a inverter that was CA legal. I really like this inverter. It just doesn't have the normal surge of other inverters. Not knowing that is the problem. It's not listed anywhere.

I could careless that it can do more then 12,000w for a short time. That's like playing rusian rullet. It's just a matter of time before you loose and the house shuts down when you go over 12k. It needs a higher surge like almost every other inverter.

Options are sol ark 15k or 2 10k NHX. The NHX surge to 20k and 15k ea for 10 seconds. 30k at 240v. But I really like running one unit.

Right now I'm trying to get someone to check my AC.

Have you monitored you AC start amps over a period of time? That's where I get different numbers from start to start

What to firmware version are you on?
Mine has no problem running the whole house here in Florida with a 3-ton HVAC system and a microair.
It has sustained 13.1 KW whilst the stove was cycling the oven and cooktops plus other house loads.

1312. Has no problem running it. It's starting it.
There is your problem. You need to update.

1717 onward is likely the fix to your issue:

FAAB-1717​

2024-01-18​

• Changes log (Same as fAAB-1717)based on FAAB-1616
  • 1. New feature: On-grid load balance and PV Sell for parallel system
  • 2. New feature: Parallel settings synchronization
  • 3. Flicker optimization: Voltage drop when heavy load start
  • 4. Optimization for generator application, such as transfer time, warm up, cool down, exercise, and quick start&stop remotely.
  • 5. Issue fixed: Generator End volt/SOC setting not work
  • 6. Bug fixed: Cannot exit EPS mode when RSD active
  • 7. Raise default value of start&stop volt/SOC for ACCouple, if PV inverter donot derate power at over frequency, customer can set lower value to disconnect it by generator relay
  • 8. Enable Share Battery Function by default for US verison

I will have them install. But the problem is surge capacity. Until that is raised I don't think it's going to fix it.

Funny how another guy is having the same exact issue in another thread with 4t AC

FAAB-1818​

2024-02-26​

• (Same as fAAB-1818)based on FAAB-1616 and FAAB-1717
  • 1.New feature— Parallel Setting Data Sync, synchronize the settings of primary and subordinates inverters.
  • 2.New feature— Gen Boost, which enables the PV and battery to work with the generator together when the generator power is insufficient to handle the load.
  • 3.New feature— Battery Backup Mode. When Enabled, the bateries will stay at the appointed SOC (default 100% SOC) unless there is no grid or grid abnormality or no generator port input.
  • 4.New feature—N PE relay control
  • 5.New feature—Gen over load alarm, if the generator power is greater than GenRatedPower+500w for 1 minute, an alarm prompt will appear.
  • 6.Newly added—127/220V GridType. When set GridType to 120/208V, set EPS Voltage to 220V, the grid protection rules can be automatically adapted.
  • 7.Newly added—Grid Peak-Shaving Power 2 kW, effective for corresponding time period 2.
  • 8.Newly added—EPS overload recovery time is upload.
  • 9.Newly added—Generator Cool-Down Time (Min) setting. After the generator is charged to the cut-off voltage, the inverter will not switch back to the generator for power supply unless it has not been shut down before exceeding the cooldown set time.
  • 10.Improvment—Optimization of generator related logic. When manually starting the generator, as long as the GeneratorChargeEndSOC/Volt setting is not reached, it can still be charged. After stopping charging at GeneratorChargeEndSOC/Volt, there is a delay of 5 minutes for allowing to recharge to prevent repeated switching.
  • 11. Improvment—Optimization of Quick charge.The inverter will automatically change its settings and use the AC charge function for the next one hour. After the charge is completed, the settings will be restored.
  • 12. Improvment—The range of AC Couple Start/End Volt/SOC are enlarged.
  • 13. Improvment—AC Couple can be used normally, when Micro grid enabled but generator is off.
  • 14. Improvment—Adjust the range of lead-acid battery Ah settings from 50Ah to 5000Ah.The triggering current entering float charge mode can be changed (defaults to 0.01C).
  • 15. Improvment—Surge protection supports EPS output by1.35 times rated power for 1 minute.
  • 16. Improvment—Balanced load during parallel and on-grid mode.
  • 17. Change—The Share Battery function in the US version is enabled by default.
  • 18. Problem fixing—Fixing the issue of generator can not be able to shut down after being started up by Quick Gen start. Generator will be automatically shuts down after 20 minutes of startup.

Obviously they are going to update you to 1919, but every firmware update is likely further fixing your issue.

FAAB-1818​

2024-02-26​

• 1.New feature— Parallel Setting Data Sync, synchronize the settings of primary and subordinates inverters.
  • 2.New feature— Gen Boost, which enables the PV and battery to work with the generator together when the generator power is insufficient to handle the load.
  • 3.New feature— Battery Backup Mode. When Enabled, the bateries will stay at the appointed SOC (default 100% SOC) unless there is no grid or grid abnormality or no generator port input.
  • 5.New feature—Gen over load alarm, if the generator power is greater than GenRatedPower+500w for 1 minute, an alarm prompt will appear.
  • 6.Newly added—127/220V GridType. When set GridType to 120/208V, set EPS Voltage to 220V, the grid protection rules can be automatically adapted.
  • 7.Newly added—Grid Peak-Shaving Power 2 kW, effective for corresponding time period 2.
  • 9.Newly added—Generator Cool-Down Time (Min) setting. After the generator is charged to the cut-off voltage, the inverter will not switch back to the generator for power supply unless it has not been shut down before exceeding the cooldown set time.
  • 10.Improvment—Optimization of generator related logic. When manually starting the generator, as long as the GeneratorChargeEndSOC/Volt setting is not reached, it can still be charged. After stopping charging at GeneratorChargeEndSOC/Volt, there is a delay of 5 minutes for allowing to recharge to prevent repeated switching.
  • 11. Improvment—Optimization of Quick charge.The inverter will automatically change its settings and use the AC charge function for the next one hour. After the charge is completed, the settings will be restored.
  • 13. Improvment—AC Couple can be used normally, when Micro grid enabled but generator is off.
  • 14. Improvment—Adjust the range of lead-acid battery Ah settings from 50Ah to 5000Ah.The triggering current entering float charge mode can be changed (defaults to 0.01C).
  • 15. Improvment—Surge protection supports EPS output by1.35 times rated power for 1 minute.
  • 17. Change—The Share Battery function in the US version is enabled by default.
  • 18. Problem fixing—Fixing the issue of generator can not be able to shut down after being started up by Quick Gen start. Generator will be automatically shuts down after 20 minutes of startup.

Obviously they are going to update you to 1919, but every firmware update is likely further fixing your issue.
So what is the actual surge capacity? Is that based on 12k or?
With PV: 14.7kW (10 min), 15.5kW (5 min) Without PV: 13.5kW (10 min)

Be nice if a number was given. Instead of a guessing game

FAAB-1818​

2024-02-26​

• 9.Newly added—Generator Cool-Down T
  • The updated firmware will fix it, I personally guarantee it. BTDT.

• ime (Min) setting. After the generator is charged to the cut-off voltage, the inverter will not switch back to the generator for power supply unless it has not been shut down before exceeding the cooldown set time.

Obviously they are going to update you to 1919, but every firmware update is likely further fixing your
The updated firmware will fix it, I personally guarantee it. BTDT.
Update worked so good that now my AC won't start at all. It's 67 degrees here and would run it fine when it's cool out. Now it starts and runs for 5 seconds and says power interrupted or over voltage.

I should have know better and left it alone

Back