diy solar

diy solar

2/0 wire fuse

thepartyhound

Christian Prepper
What size fuse should I use for 2/0 cable (short...<5') into a 12/3000 victron? I was thinking 150A or 200A fuse would be about right, but it was suggested I run a 250.

At 12V nominal a 3000W inverter will draw 250A. 2/0 is the minimum perhaps small for 250A.
If battery(-ies) are lithium you need a Class T fuse on the battery pos(+). 250A might even blow with a surge.

Is this an original MultiPlus?

To handle the surge (6000 watts) Victron suggests a 400 amp fuse. If you plan to use the entire capacity of that unit you will need to double your 2/0.

Look in the owners manual. My Multiplus 12/3000 asks for 2x 2/0 (that’s two reds and two blacks). I had to use the OEM wiring, so I have one pair of 4/0 wires. If I remember correctly it wants a 400a fuse. (FYI - two 2/0’s will deliver a little more power than one 4/0).

You will use to full amps occasionally and may go over them. For us it is when we are heating something up in the microwave and then we drop toast into the toaster. Usually the inverter shuts down for 30 seconds and I think it tells me, “Hey dummy- you did it again! Let not overload me -ok?”. lol. But occasionally it surprises me and runs the load.

We use a 12v Victron Multiplus II 3000. Our highest projected continuous load is 175a. Use a 200a Blue Sea MEGA fuse. We prefer to fuse based on highest anticipated load which by design should be less (IMO) than the inverter's maximum rated current. If we're pulling anywhere near the maximum rated current of our Multiplus II 3000, we have a problem. Prefer to catch our problems early rather than later.

The 200a MEGA handles the inrush for the a/c, microwave and an occasional 3/4 - 1hp motor we've powered just fine. The only downside to the 200a MEGA is a bit more voltage drop (heat) vs. a higher rated MEGA fuse.

Last edited:
This is going into a slide-in camper. In all honesty, it will likely never run anything bigger than a TV, a few lights, and perhaps a small RV fridge. The only reason I am even getting the 3k instead of a smaller unit is that I may reuse this in a structure sometime in the future.

Reactions: JRH
Back