diy solar

diy solar

2 Victron Orion 30a dc to dc & alternator issue not enough amps

envelope

Hi,

Had one Victron Orion tr smart DC-DC 30A charger for over a year and bought a second one hoping to get 50-60A to lifepo4 batteries while driving.
Unfortunately 165A smart alternator only supply 40A at any time.

I tried to switch alternator BMS no lack, higher voltage, but 40A output remains the same.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Hi,

Had one Victron Orion tr smart DC-DC 30A charger for over a year and bought a second one hoping to get 50-60A to lifepo4 batteries while driving.
Unfortunately 165A smart alternator only supply 40A at any time.

I tried to switch alternator BMS no lack, higher voltage, but 40A output remains the same.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Are you saying that your alternator has a BMS?
If yes please provide a product link to this alternator?

Are you saying that your alternator has a BMS?
If yes please provide a product link to this alternator?
Perhaps I am wrong, but I think called battery monitor system and it's supposed to work with smart alternator by limiting input output...
You can switch it on/off via OBD port using software.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am wrong, but I think called battery monitor system and it's supposed to work with smart alternator by limiting input output...
You can switch it on/off via OBD port using software.
This is an example of the kind of bms I was talking about.
It has nothing to do with the ODB port on your vehicle.
I guess you are talking about something else.

This is an example of the kind of bms I was talking about.
It has nothing to do with the ODB port on your vehicle.
I guess you are talking about something else.
Yes I know what you mean. In ford vehicles they also called bms; battery monitor system but probably less advanced see link

If you have a Ford Transit, there is a 70A fused uplift access point in pillar behind passenger seat. How that would extract more from alternator is beyond me though. But I have connected an Orion there for a friend. Ask if you want specifics.

If you have a Ford Transit, there is a 70A fused uplift access point in pillar behind passenger seat. How that would extract more from alternator is beyond me though. But I have connected an Orion there for a friend. Ask if you want specifics.
Did you connect 2 Orions in parallel? I have one already connected for a year and it gives me 30a charge, but I thought I could connect a second one to double that up. Unfortunately 40a is the maximum I'm getting atm. Perhaps someone knows a workaround?

Did you connect 2 Orions in parallel? I have one already connected for a year and it gives me 30a charge, but I thought I could connect a second one to double that up. Unfortunately 40a is the maximum I'm getting atm. Perhaps someone knows a workaround?
No, just one.

So how do you have the 2 of them connected that the alternator knows to limit the current they get?

I was thinking if you have one connected as you do now (the secret) and connecting a second one (assuming it a materially different connection), to the upfitter port. With little to go on, I can only guess.

No, just one.

So how do you have the 2 of them connected that the alternator knows to limit the current they get?

I was thinking if you have one connected as you do now (the secret) and connecting a second one (assuming it a materially different connection), to the upfitter port. With little to go on, I can only guess.
I think alternator is limiting output to 40A regardless of victron orion connected or not.

In would suggest disconnecting the shunt at the engine battery( It's a 2 wire connector) To see if the amps through the DC to DC chargers output increases. ( This will cause a full field event )

In would suggest disconnecting the shunt at the engine battery( It's a 2 wire connector)
Good that someone knows this! Part of the secret is revealed.
But doesn’t this assume the 2x Orions are connected to the battery (side), rather than to the alternator itself as hinted by the OP? (I dunno, just asking).

But doesn’t this assume the 2x Orions are connected to the battery (side), rather than to the alternator itself as hinted by the OP? (I dunno, just asking).
When the shunt is disconnected the alternator defaults to full field as the PCM can no longer see what is going in and out of the battery. If they are smart the DC to DC chargers are connected at the battery (It acts as a buffer for transients.)

specificity-middleman.gif

In would suggest disconnecting the shunt at the engine battery( It's a 2 wire connector) To see if the amps through the DC to DC chargers output increases. ( This will cause a full field event )
How would that effect starter battery ?

How would that effect starter battery ?
Ford uses a calcium silver AGM battery that can handle 18 volts (short term in cold weather ) The regulator in the alternator controls the output to 14.75 volts when the PCM defaults the charging system.

Ford uses a calcium silver AGM battery that can handle 18 volts (short term in cold weather ) The regulator in the alternator controls the output to 14.75 volts when the PCM defaults the charging system.
By factory default pcm set to charge starter battery to 80% if I remove shunt what happens to starter battery charging profile?

The voltage regulator controls the alt. output by varying the voltage to the field coil, assuming a high enough RPM [1500 or so].

I'd look there to see why you're not getting rated output.

Back