diy solar

diy solar

200A Manual Transfer Switch?

I see everyone advising to use a 2 pole double throw transfer switch. Is sharing a neutral between the power grid and inverter not an issue? In the event of a power outage isn't that an issue?

Is sharing a neutral between the power grid and inverter not an issue? In the event of a power outage isn't that an issue?
I do not know why it would be an issue. 120 volt switches do not switch the neutral. The circuit breakers do not cut off the neutral. My inverter does not cut off the neutral when it goes off grid. The only caveat is that I have no idea if there is a code requirement one way or the other.

Last edited:
Which 3 pole transfer switch did you go with? I'm interested in getting a 3 pole 100A too.
There's a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of a three pole vs a two pole. Without getting into all that, I opted for the three pole 100a Siemens. The best deal I found was Home Depot.

Based on the specs I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. That said, if you look at the pictures with the cover open the Siemens looks like a lot more switch to me. I didn't see the GE when I was looking or I certainly would have considered it. Maybe someone on here has experience with both.

Edit: Looking again at the pictures, that's a two pole switch, not a three pole. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work but you're back to the two pole vs three pole discussion.

Based on the specs I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. That said, if you look at the pictures with the cover open the Siemens looks like a lot more switch to me. I didn't see the GE when I was looking or I certainly would have considered it. Maybe someone on here has experience with both.
Yeah one is two pole the other three. I need 200 amp.

For the Solark 15k, do you only need to switch the 240v black/red? Do you also need to switch the neutral? Maybe not?
I just installed a 15k and used an Eaton safety switch/shutoff, 600v 200A, fused, 2 pole, as main shutoff and first means of disconnect. For switching between grid and and the solar to feed my load panel I opted for the 2 pole double throw/3 position, 600v, 200a non fused, transfer switch from GE referenced in this thread.

The Eaton safety switch/shutoff being first downstream from the meter and my first means of disconnect is where grounds and neutrals are bonded, neutrals run thru continuous from there to the inverter and the load centers downstream, new grounding installed at the switch and then runs parallel but separated to the inverter and load centers and array/panels.

No faults or errors and everything runs and operates as it should.

Last edited:
I see everyone advising to use a 2 pole double throw transfer switch. Is sharing a neutral between the power grid and inverter not an issue? In the event of a power outage isn't that an issue?
I know this is an older thread, but no, it is not an issue to share. In most cases you are better off sharing than switching the neutral. If you do switch the neutral you need to have an overlapping neutral-- no "off" position, and you need neutral-ground bonds on both sources. Current will always flow back to the source, so if it is the grid then that will be the source, and if it is the inverter that will.

diy solar

diy solar
Back