diy solar

diy solar

24v solar system for van

I'm using EPEVER 60amp MPPT Charge Controller 48V/36V/24V/12V Negative Ground Max 150V 4500W Input fit Litium/AGM/Gel/Flooded/User Backlight LCD Display Large-Amp(60A-MPPT)

I had the 40 amp / 100 volt version of that, great charge controller. Nice to see that they increased the voltage from 100v to 150v, since you can series two 46 volt panels without having to worry about peaks going above 100v. But personally, if your roof has room, I'd just parallel 3 300-watt(ish) panels. Or even 4 if they fit. The nice thing about parallel is you don't have to worry about partial shading, which is often an issue with RV's.

Remember that when you parallel more than two panels you need to put fuses on all of them. Can keep it simple by using something like this:

Fuse:

Joiner:

That joiner has a 30 amp limit. 900 watts of panels @ 46 volts = 20 amps. Or 1200 watts of panels @ 46 volts = 26 amps.

Edit: if only doing 3 panels this one looks like higher quality:

Or maybe these:

Last edited:
I had the 40 amp / 100 volt version of that, great charge controller. Nice to see that they increased the voltage from 100v to 150v, since you can series two 46 volt panels without having to worry about peaks going above 100v. But personally, if your roof has room, I'd just parallel 3 300-watt(ish) panels. Or even 4 if they fit. The nice thing about parallel is you don't have to worry about partial shading, which is often an issue with RV's.

Remember that when you parallel more than two panels you need to put fuses on all of them. Can keep it simple by using something like this:

Fuse:

Joiner:

That joiner has a 30 amp limit. 900 watts of panels @ 46 volts = 20 amps. Or 1200 watts of panels @ 46 volts = 26 amps.

Edit: if only doing 3 panels this one looks like higher quality:

Or maybe these:

hey, great suggesstions-thanks. any suggestions on 24v panels?

any suggestions on 24v panels?

Yup, I'd highly suggest not using them. Get "house style" panels, which are either 60 or 72 cell panels. Those will be 30 or 36 volts, probably a bit more than 300 watts. Which is fine with your 24 volt battery bank. Let me know if you still don't understand why that is.

Do a bit of shopping and you should be able to find them for under $150 each, or at most $200 each. And remember that's for more than 300 watts. I've never had a reason to have panels shipped since that style panel is so ubiquitous and can usually be found locally. Call the various solar suppliers near you, there's usually lots of them. Remember these aren't 12 volt panels, these are the panels people install on houses, so they're common.

Yes, 60 or 72 cell that's what I meant. I was just looking at some online for $0.49/watt for 300W.

Yup, I'd highly suggest not using them. Get "house style" panels, which are either 60 or 72 cell panels. Those will be 30 or 36 volts, probably a bit more than 300 watts. Which is fine with your 24 volt battery bank. Let me know if you still don't understand why that is.

Do a bit of shopping and you should be able to find them for under $150 each, or at most $200 each. And remember that's for more than 300 watts. I've never had a reason to have panels shipped since that style panel is so ubiquitous and can usually be found locally. Call the various solar suppliers near you, there's usually lots of them. Remember these aren't 12 volt panels, these are the panels people install on houses, so they're common.
@wrybread I found some new panels locally-Heliene 300W 60-Cell $139 each and 3 will fit on my van so going to wire in parallel!

That's great! Before making the purchase, can anyone comment on 60 cell panels in parallel with a 24 volt system? I read somewhere when I was researching it last night that the voltage of non-series'd 60 cell panels aren't high enough for a 24 volt battery bank. I don't think that's correct, and I wish I saved the link, but curious what other people think.

The alternative is to get 72 cell panels, which will definitely be high enough voltage.

Edited to add: Or you could run the 3 60-cell panels in series, which would also certainly work.

Last edited:
No, you've got it. Unfortunately this is common when it comes to the various standards and online guides/calculators, especially at the 'boundaries' (e.g. the engineering toolbox table has 4AWG supporting up to 120A, whereas your expected load is 125A). The BlueSea calculator uses the ABYC (American Boating and Yacht Club) standards. Are these better or more specific to those used for the engineering toolbox tables? I don't know. I do know that the engineering toolbox tables tend to be more pessimistic, which means that you end up with a safer, better performing system. The manufacturer's datasheet for the cable being purchased should always be your authority.

Sounds good, the 25% is a ballpark figure, just something above your expected load (125A) else suffer nuisance activation.

-

Sounds good, per point (2.).

@wrybread comment above is perfectly valid and anything above the required ampacity is basically safe so you are then making judgement calls based on potential future scenarios, cost/budget, aesthetics etc. Some people are simply not aware of the currents flowing in various system elements e.g. the PV-side current is almost always significantly lower than the battery-side of an SCC - but people think they should use the same cable and, sometimes, waste a lot of money, especially if their PV array is quite a way from the SCC.

Assuming you mean, "10AWG wire", sounds good.

OK

Absolutely not.

Like any cable, you should determine the fuse as the LOWER of (a) the ampacity rating of the cable and (b) the expected load +25%.

The Orion 12/24|15 (360W) has a nominal output of 15A but a maximum output of 25A, giving a maximum input of 50A (ignoring losses). So for alternator side (input) you should use a minimum of 10AWG (according to here) but you also have to also consider the length of cable from the alternator to the Orion AND the fact the cable is going to be inside a hot ambient temperature area. Assuming a 12' round-trip distance 8AWG cable carrying 50A will get you to a 3.14% voltage-drop (according to here) but I would recommend taking that up-one (temperature) to 6AWG. 6AWG cable has an ampacity rating of 95A, expected load is 50A +25% = 62.5A, so fuse at 62.5A (or closest to it e.g. 60A.)

Battery side is at 24V and should be expected to carry a maximum of 25A so a minimum of 12AWG cable would be required and, I'll assume only a short distance from the Orion to your battery, say 5' round-trip, so using 12AWG cable you already have a <3% voltage drop at 0.83%. 12AWG cable has an ampacity rating of 34A, expected load is 25A +25% = 31.25A, so fuse at 31.25A (or closest to it e.g. 30A).

Having the battery cable support the maximum current your battery is capable of delivering (without shutting down) makes a lot of sense for future-proofing your system, but it's a balance, I mean, 2/0AWG cable is more expensive than 1/0AWG cable. Your fuse selection should always be, however rated for your system as it is now, they can be upgraded later if needs be.

Edit: Corrected typo.
@tictag I made changes that you suggested. I do understand that length of wire may impact these sizes. Also I will need to see if manufacture has recommendations. As far a shore power and generator connections to inverter charger, does that look good?

Attachments

• eletric diagram III.pdf
    250.6 KB · Views: 9
No.

Some considerations:
  1. You are treating the AC-side like it was DC, you must not do this. AC runs at 110/230V with far lower currents so components need to specified as such. For example, 10AWG cable would support up to 50A, which, at 110V is 5,720W, probably way over-specified for your needs. A second example is that the circuit breaker depicted is for DC circuits and would not be rated for AC. Cables should be spec'd for AC - you must not use typical DC cables, which will only be specified for circa 32V.
  2. Instead of switching between genset and shore power, have you instead considered a single external connector that either genset or shore power connects to? No need for the switch.
  3. Does your inverter have an in-built ATS (automatic transfer switch)? If it does not, consider adding one so that when external AC power is attached, the ATS switches to that to power your loads, on disconnection it switches to backup (i.e. inverter). If it does, you're fine.
  4. Consider outputting your inverter (or ATS) into an AC consumer box, complete with at a minimum 1 x GFCI/RCD and 1 x MCB per circuit.
  5. Be sure earth from your external power supply is passed through to your system bonding and out to the sockets, this also means ensuring your genset is earth/neutral bonded.
  6. I have not looked at the rest of the updated circuit diagram, I assume you have implemented any changes from previously provided advice.
Good luck with you project.

The Orion 12/24|15 (360W) has a nominal output of 15A but a maximum output of 25A, giving a maximum input of 50A (ignoring losses). So for alternator side (input) you should use a minimum of 10AWG (according to here) but you also have to also consider the length of cable from the alternator to the Orion AND the fact the cable is going to be inside a hot ambient temperature area. Assuming a 12' round-trip distance 8AWG cable carrying 50A will get you to a 3.14% voltage-drop (according to here) but I would recommend taking that up-one (temperature) to 6AWG. 6AWG cable has an ampacity rating of 95A, expected load is 50A +25% = 62.5A, so fuse at 62.5A (or closest to it e.g. 60A.)

Battery side is at 24V and should be expected to carry a maximum of 25A so a minimum of 12AWG cable would be required and, I'll assume only a short distance from the Orion to your battery, say 5' round-trip, so using 12AWG cable you already have a <3% voltage drop at 0.83%. 12AWG cable has an ampacity rating of 34A, expected load is 25A +25% = 31.25A, so fuse at 31.25A (or closest to it e.g. 30A).

Thanks for calling this out. I plan on using the same Orion for my system and hadn't noticed that spec. I will include that info in my wiring design.

Cool stuff.

No.

Some considerations:
  1. You are treating the AC-side like it was DC, you must not do this. AC runs at 110/230V with far lower currents so components need to specified as such. For example, 10AWG cable would support up to 50A, which, at 110V is 5,720W, probably way over-specified for your needs. A second example is that the circuit breaker depicted is for DC circuits and would not be rated for AC. Cables should be spec'd for AC - you must not use typical DC cables, which will only be specified for circa 32V. OK, so 110 wires and fuse should be based on AC 110V with fuses rated based on whether it 15, 30, ? amp feed. You're right I was treating like DC; everything leading up to inverter charger is 110V
  2. Instead of switching between genset and shore power, have you instead considered a single external connector that either genset or shore power connects to? No need for the switch. I will do away with switch-no need for it!
  3. Does your inverter have an in-built ATS (automatic transfer switch)? If it does not, consider adding one so that when external AC power is attached, the ATS switches to that to power your loads, on disconnection it switches to backup (i.e. inverter). If it does, you're fine. It comes will AC auto-transfer switch.GFCI socket
  4. Consider outputting your inverter (or ATS) into an AC consumer box, complete with at a minimum 1 x GFCI/RCD and 1 x MCB per circuit. Yes, I make sure that I do that
  5. Be sure earth from your external power supply is passed through to your system bonding and out to the sockets, this also means ensuring your genset is earth/neutral bonded. Yes, I make sure that I do that
  6. I have not looked at the rest of the updated circuit diagram, I assume you have implemented any changes from previously provided advice.
As alway thanks so much! The following two websites have be very informative and helpful! https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html and https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html material=copper&wiresize=5.211&voltage=24&phase=ac&noofconductor=1&distance=10&distanceunit=feet&amperes=1&x=94&y=23.

No.

Some considerations:
  1. You are treating the AC-side like it was DC, you must not do this. AC runs at 110/230V with far lower currents so components need to specified as such. For example, 10AWG cable would support up to 50A, which, at 110V is 5,720W, probably way over-specified for your needs. A second example is that the circuit breaker depicted is for DC circuits and would not be rated for AC. Cables should be spec'd for AC - you must not use typical DC cables, which will only be specified for circa 32V.
  2. Instead of switching between genset and shore power, have you instead considered a single external connector that either genset or shore power connects to? No need for the switch.
  3. Does your inverter have an in-built ATS (automatic transfer switch)? If it does not, consider adding one so that when external AC power is attached, the ATS switches to that to power your loads, on disconnection it switches to backup (i.e. inverter). If it does, you're fine.
  4. Consider outputting your inverter (or ATS) into an AC consumer box, complete with at a minimum 1 x GFCI/RCD and 1 x MCB per circuit.
  5. Be sure earth from your external power supply is passed through to your system bonding and out to the sockets, this also means ensuring your genset is earth/neutral bonded.
Now the scary part; I have to start buying as these items. Still debating if spending the extra money on certain components may be worth it. What one componet would you up grade in my system if you had the money? I would think the inverter charger or the SCC. I think that I'd go with Victron??

You really can't go wrong with Victron kit but, you know, it is pricey.

I was thinking about the Venus. Pricey, but very cool.
Thanks.

I design Arm Cortex M4 and M33 based products so I can create the equivalent of a Color GX myself if I am willing to invest the time into it.

That would make a great open source project. I am going to need a new hobby once I get my van conversion done.

I will probably will buy a Color GX anyways so I can fully understand what it does. Figuring out "what" to do is usually harder than actually doing it.

In case you haven't come across this yet the VenusOS runs on the raspberry pi. Its not officially supported, but Victron is unofficially quite supportive of it, and have done a few blogposts on it, and have an FAQ and github page for it, including install instructions on the Raspberry Pi.

Victron VenusOS github
Victron Blog Post

Victron.com/OpenSource

In case you haven't come across this yet the VenusOS runs on the raspberry pi. Its not officially supported, but Victron is unofficially quite supportive of it, and have done a few blogposts on it, and have an FAQ and github page for it, including install instructions on the Raspberry Pi.

Victron VenusOS github
Victron Blog Post

Victron.com/OpenSource
Haven't done much with the Raspberry Pi. This might be a good way to learn. The Raspberry Pi uses an Arm 9 core I believe.

The new one is basically a £30 laptop. Amazing what it can do for the price. 8GB RAM, 4K HDMI output with hardware h.265 decoding, USB3, quad-core 64-bit CPU, Bluetooth, WiFi, PoE etc with a massive software library and support community. Hats off to them.

The new one is basically a £30 laptop. Amazing what it can do for the price. 8GB RAM, 4K HDMI output with hardware h.265 decoding, USB3, quad-core 64-bit CPU, Bluetooth, WiFi, PoE etc with a massive software library and support community. Hats off to them.
I haven't stayed current with Raspberry Pi. Not a huge fan of Linux.

Arm A72 Core. My knowledge base about these is a more than bit out of date. I have been really focused on the Cortex M33 dual core parts like the NXP LPC55S69 lately.

Thanks for twigging me about them. I know my reticence about linux is more about the enthusiast community than the technology itself.

Looking at UI options now. The "Official" 7" touchscreen display seems a bit limited on resolution. What is the hot option for the a compact display?

Adafruit do quite a few models. From memory, some are designed to plug directly into the DSI (?) port, whereas others connect via HDMI. Loads of resistive and capacitive touch options.

Looking at UI options now. The "Official" 7" touchscreen display seems a bit limited on resolution. What is the hot option for the a compact display?

The 7" display @ 800*480 has a higher pixel density than my 1080p desktop display, but if that is not to your liking and you want something smaller, there is a 4" 800*480 display, or many aftermarket options using either DSI or mini HDMI.

The 7" display @ 800*480 has a higher pixel density than my 1080p desktop display, but if that is not to your liking and you want something smaller, there is a 4" 800*480 display, or many aftermarket options using either DSI or mini HDMI.
I am using 2160P (4K) on my desktop. What can I say, I like it.

Back