diy solar

diy solar

24v trolling motor setup lifepo4

MikeWh

I will be using a minn kota 24v 60amp trolling motor (80lbs) . I need to maintain a speed of 2knots runtime 7 hours minimum (more is better). I'm expecting to use at least 30amps to maintain that speed . I'm planning to use 8 cells 3.2V 280Ah varicore . I would like to use overkillsolars 8s BMS 100a but its on backorder again. (No delivery update)
I guess something like daly smart LiFePo4 8S 24V BT 150a should work fine. I sure would like to find a faster charger but Victron Energy Blue Smart IP67 24V 12a should work .

Last edited:
You are right that that 12A charge rate could be a problem. It's going to take more that twice as long to re-charge if you are using at a 30A rate.
That could be a problem if you go multiple days in a row.

I did a quick search and didn't seen other Ip67 chargers that I liked the look of .... If I see one I will post a link.

charger doesn't need to be ip67 rated its just the only charger I could find at the moment . I would just like to be able to set the charging voltage to 27.6v or maybe even down to 26.8v (and then once a month charge to 28.8v to re balance it would be nice if the microprocessor of the charger
could do this automatically I think this could give the longest life and least hassle . if only the charger could be really smart and use a shunt so it could really know how much power is left in the battery bank and charge accordingly.. At least a 30amp charger would be nice. Everything will be mounted in dry space.

Last edited:
I'm planning to buy a dc to dc charger victron orion tr smart 12/24-15a to charge the electric trolling motor drive battery from my 200 ah 12 v starter battery. My boat has a main motor that I will use to go fast and I could use it to charge the electric trolling motor batteries when on a long trip. (50 Amp 12V alternator on main engine)

Last edited:
I will be using a minn kota 24v 60amp trolling motor (80lbs) . I need to maintain a speed of 2knots runtime 7 hours minimum (more is better). I'm expecting to use at least 30amps to maintain that speed . I'm planning to use 8 cells 3.2V 280Ah varicore . I would like to use overkillsolars 8s BMS 100a but its on backorder again. (No delivery update)
I guess something like daly smart LiFePo4 8S 24V BT 150a should work fine. I sure would like to find a faster charger but Victron Energy Blue Smart IP67 24V 12a should work .
Here is the 24volt charger I just received. 'I am not affiliated': https://www.altestore.com/store/cha...-dls-27-40-40a-24v-ac-convertercharger-p3029/ add the IQ plug-in for $20. and you have a good versatile 24 volt source.
'Edit Sorry' I missed the IP67. For your application does the charger need to be waterproof?

Using the 2 step voltage jack you can change the 27.2v to a high stage voltage of 28.4volts. In your later post I see you don't need IP67

What kind of boat do you plan to move at 2 Kn (3,7 kmh) with your 80 lbs minn kota ? I build 2 x 280ah for moving my fishing boat 17’ at 5 kmh and I have 2 motor install , min 80 lbs at the front and a 120 brushless at the back and with the wind it is difficult to maintain it .

Its a 20’ boat and a minn kota engine mount 80 if I need more power I will add a haswing venture f which is also 24v 160lbs
I mostly need to be able to troll downwind and no wind . I plan to use the main engine for anything else if necessary

Last edited:
Back