diy solar

diy solar

280AH LiFePO4 too much in Small Package?

The Winstons are available to us. Of course they are pricey.

I think Sinopoly or CALB too (upto 400Ah at least, maybe 700). Its the 300+ Ah capacity aluminum cased cells that I haven't seen yet. Who knows, maybe that has something to do with the good prices for 280Ah, maybe large volume buyers have mostly switched to newer generation higher density cells.

Last edited:
I think Sinopoly or CALB too (upto 400Ah at least, maybe 700). Its the 300+ Ah capacity aluminum cased cells that I haven't seen yet. Who knows, maybe that has something to do with the good prices for 280Ah, maybe large volume buyers have mostly switched to newer generation higher density cells.

Oh...ok. It will be interesting to see if larger than 280ah aluminum cased cells are produced, and the fixture and compression required as well as the other specs. I would think the aluminum used to house the pouches would have to be thicker.

So... I wonder how long I could run my pop up on a 12v 1000ah.

I wouldn't limit yourself, give yourself some room to grow. 16 x 10,000Ah cells would be a good starting point. Can always expand if need be later.

WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg

WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg

WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg

WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg
WB-LYP10000AHA.jpg

Last edited:
FYI I believe the 280ah cells are rated at 2C for 30 seconds now in the latest specs. The batteries themselves should be just fine for any burst (7k watts at 12v). I can't imagine anyone will get close to that.

I think they sag when current drain is heavy. It may be one weak cell in my pack and I am still trying to duplicate the results. Ocassionally I see 0.3 volt sag in one cell when my inverter puts a 20 Amp load. My pack is 2P16S so I can't tell which cell is pulling the pair down.

I think they sag when current drain is heavy. It may be one weak cell in my pack and I am still trying to duplicate the results. Ocassionally I see 0.3 volt sag in one cell when my inverter puts a 20 Amp load. My pack is 2P16S so I can't tell which cell is pulling the pair down.

20A is not much; that's weird. I'd check your wiring at those two cells first.

I wouldn't limit yourself, give yourself some room to grow. 16 x 10,000Ah cells would be a good starting point. Can always expand if need be later.

LOL.

For real, though, people would be crazy today to buy these ancient-generation plastic shell cells, with their literally-twice-the-volume energy density and nearly twice the mass density as well. Not to mention the higher prices.

Now, if we start seeing these ultra-dense aluminum shell cells (I'm talking about the 280Ah ones we're all buying and worrying about clamping and seeing expand, etc.) fail early, that would be a different story. But even then, the sturdier Frey 100Ah and their ilk have already proven the test of time in real packs, and they are a packaging technology from many years ago and nevertheless still much better than plastic shell density.

For real, though, people would be crazy today to buy these ancient-generation plastic shell cells, with their literally-twice-the-volume energy density and nearly twice the mass density as well. Not to mention the higher prices.

I have a lot to learn still, but I kinda disagree with this ^

It very much depends on (1) use-case (2) priorities (3) availability of cells that meet your specs, from sellers your willing to buy from, at prices your willing to pay, in a region that makes sense for you.

If you have a use-case where ruggedness, robustness of components, and physical durability, are more important than maximizing size/weight, the plastic cells stand out. (marine, off-road/overland, or other harsh environments come to mind).

If you have a use case where minimizing volume/space and weight is the top priority, aluminum cells stand out. (Electric vehicles, DIY portable power stations, space constrained builds, come to mind).

Price:
For matched and verified A-grade cells, you are paying $$$$ for either Aluminum or Plastic cased cells.

Comparing a sampling of: warrantied, grade A, matched, US stock, sold through official channels:
Capacity​
MaterialMaker
Price​
Price per Wh​
Mass Density​
Volume Density​
280 AhBlue AluminumETC$3200.35 $/Wh160 Wh/kg257 Wh/L
180 AhGrey PlasticCALB$2300.39 $/Wh101 Wh/kg161 Wh/L
100 AhBlue AluminumFortune$1250.39 $/Wh107 Wh/kg191 Wh/L
(src 1, src 2)

Of the 4 brands I could find for sale through official channels on alibaba price per watt-hour was (Frey 100's (aluminum) 0.22, GBS 400's (plastic) 0.28, ETC & EVE 280's (aluminum) 0.28)

On the grey market, for unmatched & unknown quality/origin cells, you can get substantially cheaper prices, for all three of these cells (actually I'm not aware of any unofficial Frey/Fortune cells, but they are cheaper bought direct from China. But this becomes much harder to do a comparison since their are dozens or hundreds of sellers with different prices and the cell quality is very unknown.

But as a generalization, for unverified, unmatched/basic match, grey market cells, blue aluminum's will be the cheapest cost per kWh by a decent margin. And with the 280Ah EVE cells as cheap as they are right now, the case for aluminum cells has become much stronger.

Size/Weight/Physical Durability:
I think both of the below statements are very uncontroversial:
  1. Aluminum cased cells achieve higher volumetric (Wh per liter) and mass (Wh per kg) density than plastic cased cells.
  2. Plastic case cells are more durable and robust, both in casing and terminals than aluminum case cells (with the possible exception of some small premium cells like Frey/Fortune, or CALB's aluminum cell)
For some applications durability won't be a big deal, for some applications maximizing energy density won't be a big deal, or maybe both or neither matter much for you. For EV's energy density undoubtedly matters a lot, for some other applications not so much.

A further consideration is an external case, any volumetric advantage can potentially be partially or fully negated if you will case the aluminum cells but would have only secured the plastic cells (as is common). This is case specific.

Like so many things in life, I think the type of cell that ultimately makes sense for someone very much depends on their situation. Personally, based on the info I have (which is always evolving), if price were equal, I would go with CALB or Sinopoly or Winston cells for my particular situation, but I can very much understand why someone else would find EVE or Fortune cells better suited to their needs.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has to balance their own design priorities and constraints, and that leads us down different paths.

Last edited:
It very much depends on (1) use-case (2) priorities (3) availability of cells that meet your specs, from sellers your willing to buy from, at prices your willing to pay, in a region that makes sense for you.

Certainly.

If you have a use-case where ruggedness, robustness of components, and physical durability, are more important than maximizing size/weight, the plastic cells stand out. (marine, off-road/overland, or other harsh environments come to mind).

Living in both marine and overland environments, ruggedness is important. But volume and mass are also very important. And price is important.

I'm not at all convinced that plastic-shell cells are more rugged than the modern alternative. Do you have evidence of this? If anything, the body of anecdotal evidence suggests that, historically, very large format plastic shell cells have struggled in mobile environments. You can read back and find people building batteries six or eight years ago advising to stay away from the larger cells (400Ah and larger, generally).

Are those issues rectified in today's designs? I don't know. But I don't think we have much data one way or another, and I'm inclined to believe that aluminum-shell cells are pretty rugged, too.

For matched and verified A-grade cells, you are paying $$$$ for either Aluminum or Plastic cased cells.

We've had this debate before, so I'll just re-summarize: I'm not convinced anyone knows what "A-grade" means, nor am I convinced that there is any "matching" going on when paying marked-up importer prices, nor am I convinced that "unmatched" cells are actually that far apart in practical terms. Finally, even if and when cells do vary a bit, I'm not convinced that a degree of "mismatch" matters, with care and proper provisioning. Outside of infant mortality, it simply is not an issue in a real ESS pack, which is what I think most of us are building in this forum.

Comparing a sampling of: warrantied, grade A, matched, US stock, sold through official channels:
Capacity​
MaterialMaker
Price​
Price per Wh​
Mass Density​
Volume Density​
280 AhBlue AluminumETC$3200.35 $/Wh160 Wh/kg257 Wh/L
180 AhGrey PlasticCALB$2300.39 $/Wh101 Wh/kg161 Wh/L
100 AhBlue AluminumFortune$1250.39 $/Wh107 Wh/kg191 Wh/L
(src 1, src 2)

Of the 4 brands I could find for sale through official channels on alibaba price per watt-hour was (Frey 100's (aluminum) 0.22, GBS 400's (plastic) 0.28, ETC & EVE 280's (aluminum) 0.28)

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here.

First, I can assure you that ECPC (your "src 1") is not matching, grading, or importing Frey cells that are any different than the ones I imported at half the price myself by spending the time to deal with a broker in Shenzhen. On the other hand, you seem to be using alibaba prices ("src 2") for some of the other rows, which of course avoids the USA importer markup. That's apples and oranges. On top of that, alibaba prices are often higher than the real price, achieved by reaching out to a sales broker, as many of us well know.

Second, your volumetric density calculations can't be right. Your mass densities look close enough for our purposes (though I still get 172Wh/kg for EVE 280Ah, not 160Wh/kg). How did you calculate volume?

But as a generalization, for unverified, unmatched/basic match, grey market cells, blue aluminum's will be the cheapest cost per kWh by a decent margin. And with the 280Ah EVE cells as cheap as they are right now, the case for aluminum cells has become much stronger.

Definitely. As witnessed by the fact that almost everyone on this forum is using them, instead of plastic shell cell designs from ten years ago. :)

Aluminum cased cells achieve higher volumetric (Wh per liter) and mass (Wh per kg) density than plastic cased cells.

I'd apply a caveat: the plastic-shell cells we have access to were designed and implemented a long time ago, in lithium battery terms. All of them (CALB CA series, Winston, etc.) have been on the market, in those form factors and capacities, for many years now. It's possible that improved manufacturing process could yield a much denser plastic cell today. We don't know.

But I think it is super telling that we aren't seeing any new plastic shell cells, with better densities and perhaps in different form factors, coming onto the market.

Plastic case cells are more durable and robust, both in casing and terminals than aluminum case cells (with the possible exception of some small premium cells like Frey/Fortune, or CALB's aluminum cell)

Again, as I said above, I don't think you've shown this. I don't expect you to personally, I just don't think the data is really out there in public. I see no reason a metal-cased cell can't be as strong, or stronger than, a plastic one. I can also easily imagine that both designs are more than robust enough for all of the applications that we could envision as end users on this forum. (Or not! But... prove it?)

A further consideration is an external case, any volumetric advantage can potentially be partially or fully negated if you will case the aluminum cells but would have only secured the plastic cells (as is common). This is case specific.

Also, interconnect can affect volume. It can be a substantial hit in some cases.

Like so many things in life, I think the type of cell that ultimately makes sense for someone very much depends on their situation. Personally, based on the info I have (which is always evolving), if price were equal, I would go with CALB or Sinopoly or Winston cells for my particular situation, but I can very much understand why someone else would find EVE or Fortune cells better suited to their needs.

I think what we're finding, right now in real life, is that the existing metal shell cells are Good Enough in the mechanical stability department, and a lot cheaper and better in most of the other dimensions people care about. Most importantly, they are a lot less expensive, and cost usually wins in the end. So I would respectfully submit that you are an outlier -- but, do relish that! :D

20A is not much; that's weird. I'd check your wiring at those two cells first.
That was helpful advice. I did that and the problem is resolved. I can not say it is solved because in trying to fix it I created another issue that I am working on. The result was that a quarter turn on a couple of nuts and the voltage came back. previously I had thought that cell was high and I kept draining it with my 1/2 Ohm power resistor. Now after I tightened the bussbars the measured voltage is slightly below the others and I probably need to pump it up with my power supply.
There is some physics or an aspect of my BMS that I did not understand completely.

On my BMS I get three measurements on a cell basis. Live cell voltage, open cell voltage and Internal resistance. The IR is calculated on the fly and when I looked at it this cell was much higher than the others. Once I tightened it the IR began falling because the calculation was adjusting it. The Live cell voltage is the one I mostly look at and it did seem to correspond to my multimeter. However that was taken from the buss bars and may have had the same resistance error that my BMS was reporting. The clue was the open cell voltage that was lower than the live cell voltage and that would explain why I was seeing the sag in voltage under a small load. I have been using this BMS for at least five years and never had an issue like this before that I know of. Because this was a new pack I made the assumption that there was a problem with a cell.

The point of this is that with everything one must check one's assumptions and carefully observe the data that is available. I am continually learning from this big science project.

Living in both marine and overland environments, ruggedness is important. But volume and mass are also very important. And price is important.

Agreed (I think we agree on most things actually)

I'm not at all convinced that plastic-shell cells are more rugged than the modern alternative. Do you have evidence of this?

Not personally, but I formed my opinion based on the evidence given by others who I have at least moderate trust in (Will, Dacian, folks in the Marine World) and just what I have observed (plastic cased cells are the default in the marine world, Victron uses Winston cells).

Some factors are pretty self-evident and don't need evidence: terminal size/depth, terminal screw diameter, busbar quality.

Then there are the pros/cons of a thicker Nylon shell vs an aluminum shell (which I have only a partial understanding of).

Then there are factors that I don't personally have evidence of (and would need to cut open a cell to verify) but I have heard from people I have moderate trust it (Will, Dacian), such as the terminals on many of the aluminum cells being spot welded as opposed to integrated into the shell of the nylon cased cells. And the nylon cased cells being more resilient to (1) puncture, (2) drops/denting/deformation (not a big issue once the pack is secured)..

If anything, the body of anecdotal evidence suggests that, historically, very large format plastic shell cells have struggled in mobile environments. You can read back and find people building batteries six or eight years ago advising to stay away from the larger cells (400Ah and larger, generally).

Are those issues rectified in today's designs? I don't know. But I don't think we have much data one way or another, and I'm inclined to believe that aluminum-shell cells are pretty rugged, too.

I would heed this advice and have no idea whether they are rectified in today's designs, I suspect not, I think it is just a design limitation of large form factor cells. But this has nothing to do with cell casing type, as you correctly noted it has to do with large form factor cells and internal volume/surface area ratio. I suspect (just speculation) that there is a reason we are just beginning to see aluminum cells push above 300Ah, and I suspect that has to do with casing strength, or maybe fatigue over time.

I understand the best practice in the marine world to still be (1) cell size of less than roughly ~200Ah, ~100Ah being better (2) robust cells and terminals (3) lightly compressed and well secured in a manner and location that minimizes shocks and vibration.:rolleyes:

We've had this debate before, so I'll just re-summarize: I'm not convinced anyone knows what "A-grade" means, nor am I convinced that there is any "matching" going on when paying marked-up importer prices, nor am I convinced that "unmatched" cells are actually that far apart in practical terms. Finally, even if and when cells do vary a bit, I'm not convinced that a degree of "mismatch" matters, with care and proper provisioning. Outside of infant mortality, it simply is not an issue in a real ESS pack, which is what I think most of us are building in this forum.

You are entitled to this opinion. I don't agree with most of it, but I do agree somewhat with the last sentence or two. I would also point out that we are straying off course with this line of thought. My comparison compared new, grade-a, from official sales channels, because that is the only way to reliably compare apples-to-apples-ish, choosing resellers at random on Alibaba/Aliexpress just has too many unknowns to reliably compare.

One point I would make re: 'marked up importer prices' and matching. In the case of CALB (USA), Winston (EU), they are not 'importers' they are official distributors, and as far as I understand cells are binned, matched, warrantied, from the factory. For most of us the cost of this may not justify the benefit, for some of us it will. But that's a side issue, new-from-factory prices were chosen because its the most reliable way to compare like costs.

First, I can assure you that ECPC (your "src 1") is not matching, grading, or importing Frey cells that are any different than the ones I imported at half the price myself by spending the time to deal with a broker in Shenzhen.

You are probably correct, but they have a reputation for buying quality cells through official channels (they are one of about a half dozen authorized CALB distributors in the US), as I understand it, the testing, binning, matching should happen at the factory, and is one of the reasons cells sold through official channels cost what they cost (they are also warrantied and supported).

On the other hand, you seem to be using alibaba prices ("src 2") for some of the other rows, which of course avoids the USA importer markup. That's apples and oranges.

If this were the case it would only strengthen the case of the plastic cells (since the alibaba links were for the aluminum cells) which based on your reasoning should make them appear cheaper than the US sourced plastic cells.

However, to nip this in the bud. US prices were only compared against US prices, and Alibaba prices were only compared with other alibaba prices (and only from the manufacturer's official Alibaba page, not resellers or brokers where prices, quality, and honesty can differ substantially). The reason the alibaba listing was listed as a source was because I pulled density data for the 280 Al cell from there.

Second, your volumetric density calculations can't be right. Your mass densities look close enough for our purposes (though I still get 172Wh/kg for EVE 280Ah, not 160Wh/kg). How did you calculate volume?

Mass Density: [amp-hours x 3.2] / kg
Volume Density: [amp-hours x 3.2] / liters -- (calculated from L x W x H in mm)

Does this sound like the right math to you? Its not something I've calculated before, or thought much about.

As to your calculation of 172 Wh/kg for EVE that may be spot on, I don't know,

Definitely. As witnessed by the fact that almost everyone on this forum is using them, instead of plastic shell cell designs from ten years ago. :)

You keep saying this "from ten years ago" thing, most of these companies (aluminum and plastic cased) are roughly 10-15 years old, a few 20+ (EVE, Winston, Lishen). And all of the companies still in business are churning out 2020 cells, and at least one (CALB currently makes both plastic and aluminum cells for different use-cases). I believe the few people that have been able to verify date of manufacture for their EVE cells had cells from 2018, but I may well be wrong on this.

I'd apply a caveat: the plastic-shell cells we have access to were designed and implemented a long time ago, in lithium battery terms. All of them (CALB CA series, Winston, etc.) have been on the market, in those form factors and capacities, for many years now. It's possible that improved manufacturing process could yield a much denser plastic cell today. We don't know.

But I think it is super telling that we aren't seeing any new plastic shell cells, with better densities and perhaps in different form factors, coming onto the market.

Possibly, or possibly its just a different market segment. I believe that the plastic cells can't (and weren't designed to) compete in terms of energy density (from the tiny bit I know, LFP in general isn't really designed to either). But energy density isn't the end all and be all for every application. What the plastic cells have is robustness/durability, and the ability (apparently) to so far far exceed the aluminum cells in cell capacity (which as noted above may not be well suited for harsh environments).

If energy density was the only consideration, something like cylindrical NMC (or even cylyndrical LFP) cells would be the obvious choice right? But because we have a range of priorities, a range of products are available to meet different use-cases.

But I agree, it seems all of the plastic cased cells have been around in the current form factor for years. On the other hand, based on the minuscule amount I know about iterations in aluminum cells, it seems they haven't really iterated in form factor much either, the main change is pushing towards larger capacities (300Ah+), capacities which the plastic cells have exceeded for years (at the expense of energy density). If either cell casing type can deliver high capacity, equal strength, and less volume, that's a win, regardless of cell type. I think it would be great if Frey could produce a ~200Ah cell as robust as their 100Ah cell.

Last edited:
Again, as I said above, I don't think you've shown this.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am not offended if we don't see eye to eye. There is very limited data easily available in this space, so there are a lot of grey areas, unknowns, and semi-unknowns, where differences of opinion based on limited information is reasonable and expected. Based on what I've seen current medium capacity (150-300Ah) nylon cased cells are substantially more robust than current medium to high capacity aluminum cells, this opinion may change as technology changes or as new information comes to light. We all must make up our minds based on the limited information we have.

I see no reason a metal-cased cell can't be as strong, or stronger than, a plastic one.

I think aluminum cells can be made strong too, I just think that most of the commodity cells available to us (ETC, EVE, CATL, HIGEE) are not (at least not relative to their nylon cased competition).

Frey/Fortune is an example of what an aluminum cell could be if it was designed more robustly (which will cost more). Frey seems like a good compromise between (1) density (2) strength (3) capacity (4) price. They are not cheap compared with other aluminum cells, but they seem well built, and I suspect they would do well in most harsh use-cases. They are a compromise. Trading capacity, some density, and some $ in exchange for greater strength/robustness.

Most importantly, they are a lot less expensive, and cost usually wins in the end. So I would respectfully submit that you are an outlier -- but, do relish that! :D

I take no issue with this (and I will admit that I just realized we are not in the 'vehicle based systems' subforum where this discussion would be more relevant), cost as a factor cannot be overstated, most people on this forum cost is far and away the biggest consideration (its a pretty high priority for me too, and I'm not yet sure whether I will opt for cheaper Al cells or go with nylon cased cells).

I may be an outlier, I am simply trying to articulate the value of both cell types, I am not trying to sell you on nylon cells or dissuade you from Al cells, just articulate their advantages and use-case. For the majority of use-cases on this forum, cheap aluminum cased cells probably make sense.

Also I would agree that marine, overland/offroad, and to a lesser degree vehicle based systems in general are somewhat of niche use-cases.

If you were a nylon cell evangelist, I believe I could and would make a strong case for aluminum cells too. My issue is not with the advantages you see in aluminum (I see them too) its with what seems like a narrow focus on density and overzealous statement that they are the only good solution to all situations. What I said in my first post was and is my only point, people have different priorities, goals, constraints, and use-cases. There is no best cell, there is only a best cell for the application. That is my argument, full stop.

----

With that said (and after writing what feels like a full novel and a half), I think this debate is off topic in this thread, and getting more and more long winded :rolleyes:. I don't think we should continue it here. I would be willing to continue via private message or in this thread where it would be a more relevant conversation, or maybe we have said what we need to say to convey our perspectives adequately even if we don't see totally eye to eye, I value your perspective.

Last edited:
Not personally, but I formed my opinion based on the evidence given by others who I have at least moderate trust in (Will, Dacian, folks in the Marine World) and just what I have observed (plastic cased cells are the default in the marine world, Victron uses Winston cells).

Victron outsources most (possibly all, but they have a few new lines now) of their packs. Most of their packs are made by MG Energy.

For a few asides, (1) Victron also sells an NMC line of packs, which are a questionable-at-best choice for a marine installation; and (2) Victron just released a firmware fix for one of their 4-cell BMSes that was guilty of draining one cell to imbalance due to a software flaw. I'm a big Victron fan, but I would encourage no one to give a manufacturer's choice too much weight or heft in this space. There aren't many "experts" out there.

You are entitled to this opinion. I don't agree with most of it, but I do agree somewhat with the last sentence or two. I would also point out that we are straying off course with this line of thought. My comparison compared new, grade-a, from official sales channels, because that is the only way to reliably compare apples-to-apples-ish, choosing resellers at random on Alibaba/Aliexpress just has too many unknowns to reliably compare.

From your links, I thought you were comparing alibaba prices (pre-imported cells) with marked-up USA importer prices. Was I mistaken?

One point I would make re: 'marked up importer prices' and matching. In the case of CALB (USA), Winston (EU), they are not 'importers' they are official distributors, and as far as I understand cells are binned, matched, warrantied, from the factory. For most of us the cost of this may not justify the benefit, for some of us it will. But that's a side issue, new-from-factory prices were chosen because its the most reliable way to compare like costs.

You are probably correct, but they have a reputation for buying quality cells through official channels (they are one of about a half dozen authorized CALB distributors in the US), as I understand it, the testing, binning, matching should happen at the factory, and is one of the reasons cells sold through official channels cost what they cost (they are also warrantied and supported).

I'll say it one last time: ECPC is buying cells through the exact same mechanism and channel that we who are importing directly are using. They are not receiving any special treatment, binning, or preference with regard to the cells. There are times when my stock on hand of cells has been larger than ECPC's for a specific cell type. They are a very small mom-and-pop importer operation. I have been to their "warehouse;" imagine something closer to a nice bike shed than a building.

Not to say that one shouldn't buy from them, if stateside speed is of value. But it is a steep price to pay.

If this were the case it would only strengthen the case of the plastic cells (since the alibaba links were for the aluminum cells) which based on your reasoning should make them appear cheaper than the US sourced plastic cells.

I'm not really sure what has happened here, but your prices in your table were a mismash of "list prices" (which no one pays) and various direct importers and Chinese exporters.

Regardless, the point is, the al-shell cells are a factor of 2-3 cheaper when purchased at scale.

Mass Density: [amp-hours x 3.2] / kg
Volume Density: [amp-hours x 3.2] / liters -- (calculated from L x W x H in mm)

Does this sound like the right math to you? Its not something I've calculated before, or thought much about.

Yep, that sounds right. And you didn't apply it correctly in your table for the cell in question. (!)

You keep saying this "from ten years ago" thing, most of these companies (aluminum and plastic cased) are roughly 10-15 years old, a few 20+ (EVE, Winston, Lishen).

Precisely my point. The manufacturing process used to make these plastic cells is, clearly, old. The thickness of the plastic alone cannot account for the density differences we can now observe. Modern aluminum-shell prismatics are now achieving volumetric energy densities meeting or exceeding the Tesla Model S packs, and they are within striking distance on mass density. It's incredible.

Possibly, or possibly its just a different market segment. I believe that the plastic cells can't (and weren't designed to) compete in terms of energy density (from the tiny bit I know, LFP in general isn't really designed to either).

I really think you're putting this/thinking about this backwards. Manufacturers of LFP cells would love for LFP to have higher density and be more competitive. They have no incentive not to. They aren't "designing" them to be suckier. They're engineering them to be the best they can be.

People have figured out how to make them substantially better in the last five years. The same benefits have not redounded to the plastic shell manufacturing lines, at least not yet, for reasons I don't understand.

But energy density isn't the end all and be all for every application. What the plastic cells have is robustness/durability, and the ability (apparently) to so far far exceed the aluminum cells in cell capacity (which as noted above may not be well suited for harsh environments).

If you have science to demonstrate superior robustness, I'd love to see it. Otherwise, if you want robustness and are convinced that a hard plastic is where it will come from, I believe one would be better off literally putting aluminum-shell off the shelf cells into a plastic enclosure and re-encapsulating the terminals. Napkin math suggests the densities would still be better.

If energy density was the only consideration, something like cylindrical NMC (or even cylyndrical LFP) cells would be the obvious choice right? But because we have a range of priorities, a range of products are available to meet different use-cases.

Cylindrical will never be the densest, because they suffer a (1 - pi/4) packing inefficiency up front. What cylindrical offer in trade is mechanical strength. (They might also be easier to manufacture; I don't know.)

But I agree, it seems all of the plastic cased cells have been around in the current form factor for years. On the other hand, based on the minuscule amount I know about iterations in aluminum cells, it seems they haven't really iterated in form factor much either, the main change is pushing towards larger capacities (300Ah+)

Where they have iterated is in performance per unit mass and volume.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am not offended if we don't see eye to eye.

No worries.

There is very limited data easily available in this space, so there are a lot of grey areas, unknowns, and semi-unknowns, where differences of opinion based on limited information is reasonable and expected. Based on what I've seen current medium capacity (150-300Ah) nylon cased cells are substantially more robust than current medium to high capacity aluminum cells, this opinion may change as technology changes or as new information comes to light. We all must make up our minds based on the limited information we have.

I think you're saying you have formed an opinion, based on instinct, that plastic-shell are more durable. I'm suggesting that the difference in deployed durability may be smaller than you fear -- negligible, perhaps. Neither of us have any science to contribute in this space as far as I can tell, so we'll have to check back in ten years and see what the empirical results show.

I think aluminum cells can be made strong too, I just think that most of the commodity cells available to us (ETC, EVE, CATL, HIGEE) are not (at least not relative to their nylon cased competition).

I mentioned in the previous post, sheath them in something if you think "strength" is an issue. They'll still have weigh more energy, take up less space and mass, and cost less.

Apple doesn't glue a rubber box around their glass iPhones. I'm kind of glad it's that way. It gives me the functionality in the slimmest reasonable form factor, and I get to choose the rest based on preference.

Frey/Fortune is an example of what an aluminum cell could be if it was designed more robustly (which will cost more). Frey seems like a good compromise between (1) density (2) strength (3) capacity (4) price. They are not cheap compared with other aluminum cells, but they seem well built, and I suspect they would do well in most harsh use-cases. They are a compromise. Trading capacity, some density, and some $ in exchange for greater strength/robustness.

It's funny, because Frey cells were readily available years before these newer, even-denser ~300Ah metal shells we have access to now. They weren't a compromise at the time: they were simply substantially denser than what was available previously. In the same light, the newer cells clearly herald another round of process improvement.

I agree that Frey now sit in a nice middle ground. But your chart belies the pricing advantage they have. I can source Frey at $0.18/kWh in quantity today, and I suspect the price will come down or they will go out of business, because the latest cells are yet again cheaper and denser.

I may be an outlier, I am simply trying to articulate the value of both cell types, I am not trying to sell you on nylon cells or dissuade you from Al cells, just articulate their advantages and use-case. For the majority of use-cases on this forum, cheap aluminum cased cells probably make sense.

Yeah, when I made my original short post that you picked up on, I was trying to point out -- somewhat flippantly -- that the writing is on the wall. Plastic shell cells, if they cannot improve densities and pricing, will become an afterthought in the coming years.

thread where it would be a more relevant conversation, or maybe we have said what we need to say to convey our perspectives adequately even if we don't see totally eye to eye, I value your perspective.

I dunno, it's the internet, let's just have fun and not worry too much about it. If you can get the mods to move the discussion to another thread, or just want to start one, that's fine, too.

Thanks all for some spirited and informative discussions around the various brands/packaging/size/price/reliability ..

I find it worrying that the price/Wh from various sources varies so much (by factors of 3-6 times). The discussion of "matched" and "Grade A" in particular are interesting. I've just ordered my first set of 52 x Lishen 272AH cells at US$71 each (from Shenzen Basen). I worry how durable and reliable I may find these .. (I'm doing 2 sets for 2 boats, and have 4 spare cells). Am I buying trouble is the rhetorical question I ask myself ?

As an example I compared Winston 400Ah 3.2V cells to the Lishen 272AH.
AHkgWH/kgLitresWH/l$WH/$
Winston
400​
9.7​
132​
8.9​
144.4​
428​
3.0​
Lishen
272​
5.3​
164​
2.6​
336.8​
71​
12.3​

Of course these Winstons include Yitrium so have better low temp charging capability, and continuous charge/discharge of 3C vrs Lishen so there are considerable technical differences, which perhaps justifies their approx 4 times price/wh.

Am I buying trouble is the rhetorical question I ask myself ?
I think you are wise to have spare cells. I orders 4 spares of the LF280 and now they are in a pack that I used to keep my sisters refrigerator running during a recent power outage. I don't have experience with Lishen but they will be my next purchase because of the lack of availability of LF280. Certainly the value is there with either of these choices. The cost of the extra cells is a small price to pay for the comfort of having a couple of spares.

Back