diy solar

diy solar

2nd AIO vs. Chargeverter

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hey all,

I'm thinking of powering a critical loads panel from a 6000XP AIO. However, due to logistics and wiring, I don't want to use the AC in. I'd rather charge the batteries separately from AC. Originally, I was thinking of using the chargeverter and rigging up a relay to turn it on and off based on battery SoC. However, since I also need a SCC that accepts a small 900W array (this is too small for the 6000XP), I thought why not get another AIO that can do charging from both AC and solar? The AIO can be configured to automatically start/stop AC charging built-in (or with Solar Assistant).

The 2nd AIO I'm looking at is the MPP 3048LV-MK from Watt247. At $475, it is barely more than the chargeverter. The only drawback I see is that the 3048 can only charge at 60A, while the chargeverter can charge at 100A. For me, I don't think that will be an issue... Plus, this gives me some redundancy if necessary.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

J

I'd go with the AIO with that smaller array and AC input myself, it gives you 2 charging sources to the chargeverter's one. As to the 60a vs 100a, well if you put 1000wh into the battery you still pay for 1000wh, regardless of whether it took 30 minutes or an hour to get it in there.

Generator under 6000w you won't care. Over 6000w generator size you may have lower fuel efficiency if you cant load more than 50% of nameplate. Also 100A is 66% faster charge than 60A

more sources is nice on a little AIO if you need them though

Reactions: JAS
Back