diy solar

diy solar

Mimic Solar charging for testing?

Jmhai3

Hello,
I would like to test my EG4-3000 full functionality for solar, AC-in, and battery changeover but do not have enough solar input to turn on the AIO unit.
It needs at least 120 volts top out 500v.

I would like to check the function of SOL and SBU for solar first.

How can I mimic solar input above 120 volts, so it thinks it is charging from solar? This is a mobile test (cart) unit for now and using a solar booster straight to the battery for a small solar input but that is not the final installation use and already replaced one AIO unit when it just shut down for no reason and stopped working.

I thought I seen some people mention doing this, but I think it was for smaller voltages.

Last edited:
Never tried it but perhaps a 150vDC power supply? I see a few available with a web search.

That was my thoughts too, even though do not want to spend too much for something I may have a limited use for after this.

What other uses does an adjustable vDC power supply have? I know radio/Ham operators use them a lot to test equipment since the precise power requirement is critical for them and varied.

I was reading another thread talking about this and they were getting into the "sweep" of the MPPT, and the constant DC voltage from a PS was not the best way to test a MPPT but maybe in my case that would not be an issue since the main reason for my test is more the functionality of the whole system to switch between the sources.

1708012683302.png

Could I technically connect this to the wall outlet (or even a generator) to the solar input of the AIO set to say 130 DC to turn on the MPPT input?
Not necessarily this exact unit but similar.

This maybe a use of this setup for when the AIO is hard wired to a box for a couple important circuits, AC power out, need to charge by generator, and don't want to risk going thru the inverter side of the AIO?

Example:
Damaged solar array or lacking good weather and need to charge batteries but AC-in is hard wired to box.
Have switch to choose between either input solar or generator since I have a small inverter generator, and everyone (here and elsewhere) is saying not to use the smaller (2500watt) inverter generator to charge thru the AC-in of the AIO.
Bonus would be the AIO would be working with the battery and maintain SOC.

Maybe over thinking this whole thing.

Bluetti makes an AC charge adapter that might do that trick - T500 AC Adapter. Couple with the DC7909 To MC4 Cable (optional) and it just may work.
I see what you have there and that looks like an option too.

It would lack the adjustability and also maybe too close to the max input of my AIO, but that form factor has promise if a unit with maybe 300-400 max as the save limit.

Thanks, will look more into it.

If you put 120v AC through a bridge rectifier you'll get about 170v DC with heavy ripple.

Spicy project though, be careful.

Hmmm.
Will read more on this. Thanks.

Can you describe what you mean by "Heavy Ripple"? you referring to the sine wave or voltage ripple as in not consistent and modulates up and down some or will it ripple my skin if mishandled... LOL

I see what you have there and that looks like an option too.

It would lack the adjustability and also maybe too close to the max input of my AIO, but that form factor has promise if a unit with maybe 300-400 max as the save limit.

Thanks, will look more into it.
I just mistakenly confused the 500 of watts with volts so came to a wrong conclusion but will look more into it.

I wonder what DC wave from (PV) solar looks like since it seems to always be changing because of sun, clouds, and shadow?
Very smooth, no wave. A cloud edge can be a fast transition, but still more like a 1 second change. They're a pure DC power source.

Back