diy solar

diy solar

2S SanTan 250 watt panels for 48V? Separate systems vs centralized

Hi everyone,

I have some used SanTan 250 watt panels. They have a max VOC of 37V, and max power at 30V.

I want to get the panels up sooner than later as they are taking up space in the crate. I think I want to try mounting them vertically on existing walls because it'll be so much easier than doing a mount. However, there are some challenges beyond merely mounting them.

My shop's south facing wall can hold 6 panels. My shop's southwest facing wall can hold 2. My office's SE facing wall can hold 2, and the SW facing wall can hold 2. The house can hold 8, facing south. These 3 spaces are all separated by what would be 75-150 feet of cable, approximately. I have 12 panels at the moment, so not enough to fill all of those spaces.

So there's many questions here. The first one is that I have the issue of having clusters of 2 panels in distinct zones. I'm not going to want to wire my SE and SW panels in series, of course. So that gives me pairs, worst case. But is a pair of panels in 2S sufficient for 48V? I know on paper it is, at max voltage, but in practice is 3S the lowest I can go for a 48V battery bank? As this appears to eliminate a lot of my panel mounting options. 2S may not even work for me cable size wise, but I want to know if it's practical for 48V if that is not an issue. it almost seems like solar charge controllers with separate inputs would be ideal here, but I think they may be spendy.

Also, do you have any recommendations about how much this should be centralized? I wanted to put inverter and batteries all in one spot, but with so many separate possible panel mounts I wonder if it's worth considering a few smaller systems, powering separate buildings. But it'd be nice to be able to put excess power to use somewhere else, so I don't know what the best option is.

I don't have a high budget, nor a fixed budget, but I want to start making use of these panels. Planning to move towards off grid or maybe grid assisting the batteries at some point. Though not really sure either how I start migrating loads, if I switch them off at the circuit breaker and power them from the inverter as I gain capacity, go for one big inverter (although that tends to have a really high idle) that can run everything, or what. I just have one 48V 100AH SOK battery at the moment.

Thank you!

How you wire the panels is determined by the SCC you choose. Higher array voltage means more efficiency. And smaller wire over long distances.
I believe that one centralized system is best. This way all extra power generated is put into a single battery bank. Multiple systems are more complicated. And extra power is usually generated where it's needed less.

Back