diy solar

diy solar

3 EG4 Power Pro batteries in parallel with Two Sol-Ark 15ks BMS errors

muaddib721

I have 2 Sol-Ark 15ks in parallel connected to 3 Power Pro batteries and I finally got the AC side done yesterday. My system was running fine on battery only from 10PM last night until around 11:30 AM to day… then the BMS from the batteries started sending incorrect voltage and SOC information and that caused the inverters to charge the batteries from the grid when I had it set to never charge the batteries from the grid. I am posting pictures of the data from the batteries BMS as seen on PV Pro.

Link to short video of PV Pro screen showing issues.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NEKg6ZBHMSEAULSnpWq6fH73e756lh2P/view?usp=sharing

Full video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lKX_ZFjsrZlCoubuskXiPiDaRU7puJdL/view?usp=sharing

I have also included pics of the BMS info showing the graph of BMS voltage, charge voltage, and SOC separately

Also pics of the current state of charge. One battery is charged up to 60.55V. The inverter started pulling massive amounts of energy from the grid. Not what it was programed to do. I have also included a image of Grid power BMS SOC BMS Voltage and BMS Charge voltage graphed together from PV Pro.

Attachments

• PP Battery BMS voltage.PNG
    PP Battery BMS voltage.PNG
    337.9 KB · Views: 26
  • PP Battery BMS charge voltage.PNG
    PP Battery BMS charge voltage.PNG
    96.3 KB · Views: 16
  • PP Battery BMS SOC.PNG
    PP Battery BMS SOC.PNG
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PP master.png
    PP master.png
    949.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PP number 2.png
    PP number 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • PP number 3.png
    PP number 3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Grid power BMS SOC BMS Voltage and BMS Charge voltage graphed together.png
    Grid power BMS SOC BMS Voltage and BMS Charge voltage graphed together.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 29
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 28
Here's a pic from Solar Assistant from todays activity. You can see the spikes in energy from the grid right after the BMS reported a drop in voltage. I have also posted the battery setting used in the inverter.

Attachments

• Battery setting for Sol-Ark 15k and EG4 Power Pro.png
    Battery setting for Sol-Ark 15k and EG4 Power Pro.png
    449.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 7.53.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 7.53.39 PM.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 16
First thing I can grantee you is the battery can not request AC Charge from an inverter or change that setting.

The bms will report to the inverter SOC or voltage. Temp, amp hour, capacity.

The bms can stop the charging or slow it down.

The bms can fault. But never request a charge. Especially AC to Charge it.

So this is not a battery problem it’s an inverter problem or something else that’s tied in with both inverter and battery like SA.

Do you have the comms between battery and inverter split to tie in with SA?

Does this mean external bms is selected or what’s the X for. I thought if this was selected it would be a Check Mark not a X.

Attachments

• 7e022d8fe65426f8861f88e4647f9f0e.jpeg
    7e022d8fe65426f8861f88e4647f9f0e.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 13
First thing I can grantee you is the battery can not request AC Charge from an inverter or change that setting.

So this is not a battery problem it’s an inverter problem or something else that’s tied in with both inverter and battery like SA.

Yes I used a splitter. I have seen others do this successfully with LL batteries.

Also in your video it shows to be set in lead acid mo

Does this mean external bms is selected or what’s the X for. I thought if this was selected it would be a Check Mark not a X.
It was checked before I contacted Sol-ark. Trevor set it to lead acid to stop from any further errors and had me disconnect the com until I could talk to you guys

Last edited:

He said when the BMS sends an error it can over write the commands in the inverter. That’s what I was told

I would get rid of solar assistant and try that. The Power Pros only have 1 port combined for with RS485 or CAN. Other batteries Lime the LL server racks have them separate so you can tie SA into one of the ports your not using.

Having a splitter between the battery and inverter trying to send or receive data with a 3rd device will not work one of the 3 devices will cancel data out from the other.

BMS's (in general) can override inverter settings and initiate charge using the "request force charge" function built into the communications protocol. Should only be triggered when the battery array is at gravely low SOC and is supposed to charge from any available power source. Search for that complete term (jn quotes) and you'll find more info. Sol-Ark's will comply when sent this request.

Last edited:
BMS's (in general) can override inverter settings and initiate charge using the "request force charge" function built into the communications protocol. Should only be triggered when the battery array is at gravely low SOC and is supposed to charge from any available power source. Search for that complete term (jn quotes) and you'll find more info. Sol-Ark's will comply when sent this request.
Well our batteries dont I know that for a fact.

I see the Deye inverter has this feature you mentioned but seems like a feature I wouldn't even want

Attachments

• iScreen Shoter - Google Chrome - 231215083808.jpg
    iScreen Shoter - Google Chrome - 231215083808.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 10
  • iScreen Shoter - Google Chrome - 231215084002.jpg
    iScreen Shoter - Google Chrome - 231215084002.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 10
I play around with RS-485 and modbus not infrequently. I found that if I tried to poll the LP'4 independently from the inverter on the same bus the inverter would sometimes get erroneous readings then show 0%. YMMV, but I now take all my battery readings only from the inverter, not directly from the batteries. Dunno if that is relevant to your situation.

I would get rid of solar assistant and try that. The Power Pros only have 1 port combined for with RS485 or CAN. Other batteries Lime the LL server racks have them separate so you can tie SA into one of the ports your not using.

Having a splitter between the battery and inverter trying to send or receive data with a 3rd device will not work one of the 3 devices will cancel data out from the other.
That makes sense… only one of the batteries started acting up the other two were fine

I have 2 Sol-Ark 15ks in parallel connected to 3 Power Pro batteries and I finally got the AC side done yesterday. My system was running fine on battery only from 10PM last night until around 11:30 AM to day… then the BMS from the batteries started sending incorrect voltage and SOC information and that caused the inverters to charge the batteries from the grid when I had it set to never charge the batteries from the grid. I am posting pictures of the data from the batteries BMS as seen on PV Pro.

Link to short video of PV Pro screen showing issues.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NEKg6ZBHMSEAULSnpWq6fH73e756lh2P/view?usp=sharing

Full video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lKX_ZFjsrZlCoubuskXiPiDaRU7puJdL/view?usp=sharing

I have also included pics of the BMS info showing the graph of BMS voltage, charge voltage, and SOC separately

Also pics of the current state of charge. One battery is charged up to 60.55V. The inverter started pulling massive amounts of energy from the grid. Not what it was programed to do. I have also included an image of Grid power BMS SOC BMS Voltage and BMS Charge voltage graphed together from PV Pro.
UPDATE — UPDATE. — UPDATE

Quick update: thanks to Markus_EG4 I think we’ve solved the issue and I have a plan of action.

Two issues came into play

1. With Sol-Ark inverters connected to EG4 Power Pro batteries you can’t split the signal on the com’s to connect SA (Solar Assistant via a Pi). This caused the incorrect BMS signals

2. The manual for the PP batteries says to only change the battery com protocol on the master… with Sol-Ark you need to set all batteries to the correct protocol.

I will be testing these theories to confirm there validity. I have faith it makes sense after messaging with Markus.

Currently running in open loop to cycle the batteries several deep cycles to loosen the old girl up.

Fun stuff…

Attachments

• IMG_9929.jpeg
    IMG_9929.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9925.jpeg
    IMG_9925.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9924.jpeg
    IMG_9924.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 5
Back