diy solar

diy solar

30kw system in Ontario

GettinOutaDoge

Good evening power harvesting friends I have a question. I'm looking at purchasing a 30ish kw system for off-grid use. I purchased a property where I have obtained a building permit already and construction is underway. I know that if I were doing grid power I have to get hydro out to do a site plan, take out a permit with the ESA and everything needs to be inspected. In regards to solar, what is the process?

Might get a better response with a more direct or limited question.
It's a pretty helpful bunch here.

Good evening power harvesting friends I have a question. I'm looking at purchasing a 30ish kw system for off-grid use. I purchased a property where I have obtained a building permit already and construction is underway. I know that if I were doing grid power I have to get hydro out to do a site plan, take out a permit with the ESA and everything needs to be inspected. In regards to solar, what is the process?

ESA also does solar permits now. Give them a shout they will explain the process and then you can talk to an inspector about details.

For offgrid process and components, you might give folks at Microgreen (Markham ON) a call. They recently did a 30kW offgrid system (using 6 Growatt SPF5000-US) and helped educate the ESA inspector. If you a going grid-tie hybrid >10kW system, the process in Ontario means dealing with the local utility and paying a monstrous connection impact assessment, a much more painful process.

I assume customer is looking for 30kW AC system load capacity which, based on Growatt SPF5000-US specs, could handle up to 36kW DC of panels.

I'm in Ontario (Algonquin Park Area) with 30.4kWh Battery Bank (DIY packs, 2x174AH & 3x280AH). The system is offgrid because Hydro One wanted just under 75 Grand (2017 price) to get it here ... which was everything from the transformer, wire, poles, bolts etc... AND they wanted to cut a line through my forest - charging to pay a logging co to do it... BTW: I was up & running with solar for <25K but all DIY, no contractors.

I've had the system checked (own peace of mind) and will have to recheck it after the last updates are done. No Grid Connection so no Solar Permit crud BUT also no rebates, incentives or credits applied. ! Note that was over 5 years ago and things have changed a lot and not just costs either.

Consider the cost of a Hydro Line and all the requirements that go with it and tally it up. Then consider what it would take to just go Off Grid Solar. To keep self out of the "muck", building a separate small Powerhouse to contain the solar gear & battery bank with the solar panels either attached or on a ground mount, and running VAC to the house underground. Something of note, they get really weird about Batteries within a Habitable Structure (Left over from Lead Acid nightmares).

I built a Pumphouse (14'x8') over the wellhead which also contains the 50Gal pressure tank with half of it being the Powerhouse as well. It's heated in winter to 15C/59F, using a Direct Vent LPG Furnace which came out of a new but wrecked RV (2 years old and a tree fell on it so I got the heating system for $350). Note that the building is hyper-insulated with thermally broken walls and is on a Frost Protected Slab Foundation which also has PEX embedded for Radiant Heat, so it's cheap & easy to heat.

AN IMPORTANT FYI !
Most Insurance Co's will NOT insure a home with less than a 240V/100A Main Service Panel ! IE: 24,000W
I do not have 100A Service and only 120V. I did however add extra wiring from Powerhouse to house to accommodate it if/when I need to switch up to 100A+.

Also note that Emporer Ford has been making noises over off grid systems and more rules/regs & fees in the future and NONE of it is good for anyone, especially anyone looking for freedom & independence for power.

Hope it helps, good luck on the ponderance.

Ditto most of Steve's points,
I am in the NW portion of the Province, put all my solar, batteries inverters the whole shot is in my shop building (sep adjacent property and building next door to my home) so none of the equipement, batteries or PV are in my home at all. Keeps the "wolves" off my back. In my case the house is grid supplied, only a Critical Loads Panel in the house is supplied from the Solar in the shop next door.
At the shop I have 7kW PV array, 12kW (twin MPP6048) and recently upgraded the 48Volt LiFePO4 battery rack to 38.9kW of storage.
Good luck with your process.

Back