diy solar

diy solar

30kWh Envision Import & DIY

I think the 'New Rules' are just the food and plant rules they keep putting off, so shouldn't make any difference to NKON
Probably some numpty at Customs sees "Eve Prismatic" arriving from Holland and think that's a new strain of Tulip :rolleyes:

Seriously though, guess it may depend if you're importing personally or as a business with VAT registration and EORI? May look into that when the time comes to extend my system. In the meantime, Fogstar's LF280K's were £99 back in November briefly, so fingers crossed they may come down again soon - sounds like they should when looking at NKON's prices.

Probably some numpty at Customs sees "Eve Prismatic" arriving from Holland and think that's a new strain of Tulip :rolleyes:

Seriously though, guess it may depend if you're importing personally or as a business with VAT registration and EORI? May look into that when the time comes to extend my system. In the meantime, Fogstar's LF280K's were £99 back in November briefly, so fingers crossed they may come down again soon - sounds like they should when looking at NKON's prices.
Its for a business with VAT and EORI registration. Theyre saying theyve has problems with them being “dangerous goods”. I can only guess that DHL have tightened up their rules. Or Nkon are using it as an excuse because they cant be bothered with the extra paperwork to the UK

Yeah i want the Envision 305Ah but the fogstar price has gone up.

I don't really see that it was much bother for them in terms of paperwork. As far as I saw, It amounted to them forwarding the customs paperwork for me to complete and return. The rest I handled directly with the customs agent appointed by DHL. They used the EORI to produce a VAT free invoice. I suppose there may have been some other work done between them and DHL but the delivery paperwork I received was not extensive.

It may also be related to the hassle of dealing with any issues with the cells. I'm still waiting for a resolution of my one cell with the post that fell off. They could have mitigated this specific issue by better checking the physical condition before letting them leave, but that won't help in all cases. For them to ship a single replacement will be quite high cost They are trying to get one supplied locally by fogstar instead, and asking me to provide the faulty cell back to fogstar in exchange. The problem is, all couriers list naked batteries as prohibited items. Perhaps that is the reference to dangerous goods? I expect the prohibition is there for consumers who may not label or package them safely, but business don't have that issue. It makes no sense otherwise, we can import cells directly from china without issues of being dangerous goods.

As it happens I decided to try drilling and tapping the terminal, because 32 cells have been sitting there unused for a month! 6mm did not work on torquing (pulled out) but 8mm is holding fine. I drilled a shallow 5mm hole and it appeared it went from aluminium to just touching copper. I don't know if that is a problem or not... but nothing leaked or exploded!

As far as the cells themselves go, they have been performing very well indeed. Staying very well balanced (~3mv) even without the active balancer. No issues with voltage drops. I can only recommend them so far, with the exception of the terminal falling off!! They have been a bargain for sure. I do continue to have issues with the BMS and my inverter using the SOC to control stop/start charging, which is just not accurate enough. I'm using voltage/lead acid mode instead which is working great.

Not that I can see me needing more, but If they will no longer export to the UK, even with EORI, I would definitely consider the drive to collect them, as long as they would still sell VAT free. I don't understand why fogstar are so expensive for these.

Last edited:
I don't really see that it was much bother for them in terms of paperwork. As far as I saw, It amounted to them forwarding the customs paperwork for me to complete and return. The rest I handled directly with the customs agent appointed by DHL. They used the EORI to produce a VAT free invoice. I suppose there may have been some other work done between them and DHL but the delivery paperwork I received was not extensive.

It may also be related to the hassle of dealing with any issues with the cells. I'm still waiting for a resolution of my one cell with the post that fell off. They could have mitigated this specific issue by better checking the physical condition before letting them leave, but that won't help in all cases. For them to ship a single replacement will be quite high cost They are trying to get one supplied locally by fogstar instead, and asking me to provide the faulty cell back to fogstar in exchange. The problem is, all couriers list naked batteries as prohibited items. Perhaps that is the reference to dangerous goods? I expect the prohibition is there for consumers who may not label or package them safely, but business don't have that issue. It makes no sense otherwise, we can import cells directly from china without issues of being dangerous goods.

As it happens I decided to try drilling and tapping the terminal, because 32 cells have been sitting there unused for a month! 6mm did not work on torquing (pulled out) but 8mm is holding fine. I drilled a shallow 5mm hole and it appeared it went from aluminium to just touching copper. I don't know if that is a problem or not... but nothing leaked or exploded!

As far as the cells themselves go, they have been performing very well indeed. Staying very well balanced (~3mv) even without the active balancer. No issues with voltage drops. I can only recommend them so far, with the exception of the terminal falling off!! They have been a bargain for sure. I do continue to have issues with the BMS and my inverter using the SOC to control stop/start charging, which is just not accurate enough. I'm using voltage/lead acid mode instead which is working great.

Not that I can see me needing more, but If they will no longer export to the UK, even with EORI, I would definitely consider the drive to collect them, as long as they would still sell VAT free. I don't understand why fogstar are so expensive for these.
I wouldn’t fancy going through customs with all those batteries trying to argue they are personal effects. Also the boat or tunnel wont want dangerous goods like that. They tend to draw a distinction between batteries that are in things and batteries that are unattached.

Ive had clarification that from Jeffrey that they can no longer send pallets with DHL. They are looking for a new courier but likely to be very expensive.

I’m trying to work out if I can buy the same cells direct from China

I wouldn’t fancy going through customs with all those batteries trying to argue they are personal effects. Also the boat or tunnel wont want dangerous goods like that. They tend to draw a distinction between batteries that are in things and batteries that are unattached.

Ive had clarification that from Jeffrey that they can no longer send pallets with DHL. They are looking for a new courier but likely to be very expensive.

I’m trying to work out if I can buy the same cells direct from China
It would have to be very expensive delivery to not make it worthwhile!

Regarding bringing them over yourself in a car, this is actually considerably easier. There is a gov page you can pre-pay the VAT/duty using your passport as a reference. You can then go through "nothing to declare" when crossing. If you are stopped by chance you can prove you paid. As far as being allowed, it doesn't look like ferries or tunnel have an issue, they are more concerned with gas canisters, fireworks and firearms it seems.

Did they confirm to you they're happy to sell VAT-free? I'm seriously considering driving across and back with 32 cells, just want to have my facts straight before contacting NKON to try and arrange. I'd pay the UK duty and VAT in advance so would have that to show them

Did they confirm to you they're happy to sell VAT-free? I'm seriously considering driving across and back with 32 cells, just want to have my facts straight before contacting NKON to try and arrange. I'd pay the UK duty and VAT in advance so would have that to show them
What area are you in? Fancy getting some for me?

What area are you in? Fancy getting some for me?
Kent/Sussex border, certainly open to it.

Right now, just running numbers for full DIY vs. VAT-free supply (via friendly sparky) of Fogstar DIY kits or Fogstar complete batteries so not 100% set on this route

I haven't had that confirmation since, but yes they did sell VAT free to me, with the EORI. It's free to get an EORI as an individual or sole trader on the uk gov website.

Just following up if you did drive over to NKON in the end, it would be interesting to find out if that worked out OK?

Just caught up with this tread, looking at the prices in NL and todays prices on Fogstar, does it still make sense to bring this cells over?

Hi. I'll certainly be interested if anyone travels over there to collect. I'm in London. Otherwise, would contacting a Netherand to UK trucking company also help?

Back