diy solar

diy solar

36v output mppt?

Sparky

Hello, and thanks in advance for suggestions.

I bought a small herd of these:

And I need an mppt charger and an inverter to use them. Do you fine people know of chargers & inverters that will work with 32 volt batteries?

My panels are about 30v and i have many spares, so I can probably send 300 - 1200 watts easily.

I'm willing to series connect the batteries for 64, 96, or 128 volts, but my question remains essentially the same, and I won't trust my 120v appliances (microwave, tv) to 120v DC.

Thanks!

Sorry, I did pre coffe math there so I deleted it. Do you really plan to connect and use 70 batteries??

32.85 x 2.89 = 94.94wh × 70 =6,646 watt hours, which is a LOT, but you will spend a fortune in wires. Do you know what these batteries were used for?

Yes. I have harnesses on the way from hobby king.

I may split them into multiple banks (groups of 6p, naturally) for safety's sake, but I don't know that that's necessary. I'm still working on a combiner box(es) and need to consider my options.

Last edited:
And a BMS that can handle this?? I'm not ignoring your question, but I think you might need to reconsider this.

Just to be clear, you cant just match the voltage-you cannot send 120v DC to a 120v AC appliance.

Right. I should have made it more clear.

"I won't trust my 120v appliances (microwave, tv) to 120v DC."

Youtube "geniuses" have tried running drill motors, etc on 120 VDC but it looks outrageously unsafe.

It's definitely not something I'd try.

Yikes. I'd be leary of running those things at high amps so the higher you make the battery voltage the better off you'll be. I'd run them in series for 96v nominal and feed an inverter like this:

The CC will depend on your panels and how you want to wire them. That will determine if you need a boost or buck CC.

This is all a bad idea, but since you already have the batteries...go for it...

Select Victron SCCs will operate 36v batteries but since it's a midway voltage they won't autosense it and need to be manually configured. There is a Victron seller on the forum, or contact Victron directly if you need more advice on using them with 36v batteries.

Thank you. I have a Victron and i've tested it & found it capable of the 32v I need. Next, I need an inverter.

Hi Sparky, how all this went? I have a few and wanted to know. Hope it worked. Thanks in advance.

Honestly I never hooked it up. Project got back-burnered.

Sorry to disappoint.

Thank you for the reply. I wander if I should try something with the ~20 I have.

Back