diy solar

diy solar

4000 kWh usage per month

I had a 3000 Square Foot Capecod design house, built Late 80's with proper insulation etc (for that time frame). It did not have any special features (passive or otherwise) and was of the A-Typical construction of the day with fiberglass batt insulation etc. That monstrosity used a MAX of 10kWh per day (when electric heat was on) but so low because we usually had a fire going in winter which used up about 8 Cord of hardwood.

Dumped that shack and built my current home, smaller but highly efficient and I use between 3.5-4.2 kWh per day "year round". I rarely put the woodstove on as it overheats the house far to easily.

Efficient Appliances & Devices are Essential.
Good Insulation + Fresh Air Exchange (w/ heat recovery) also goes a long way for winter comforts. Also Good Insulation helps keep the exterior heat OUT in summer as well (for some reason many miss THAT important point, never occurs to some).

4000kWh hours ! = 4,000,000 Wh !
For a residence that is LUDICROUS !
Get back to the Calculator, Go look at your power bills (heaviest months) and verify the actual kWh used !
Sit down with spouse & ask what can we upgrade/update to cut our energy usage !!!
That Fridge you inherited from Grandma that keeps your beer cold HAS TO GO !
Appreciate also that there are MANY things that qualify for Rebates/Incentives & Cash Back so look into it.

RULE 1 OF SOLAR !!!
Conservation is FAR CHEAPER than Generation & Storage !

Yea, 5000 kWh! Hours... My electric bill is crazy! Even my basement is using 20 kWh/day. The biggest part of that is me cooling the server/solar room. That is 100% of the DC load. The AC load is the server, network equipment, and my office which has 3 computers. My gaming PC can chew up about 800 watts by itself (if I'm playing Cities Skylines II. Seems like no other game pushes my PC nearly as hard).

diy solar

diy solar
Back