diy solar

diy solar

40A MPP LV2424 Input vs. 50A RV Grid Rating

LivingTheDream

Hello Everyone,

Let me start out by saying I'm a noob, so be gentle.

I have my 16 LIFEPo4 all top balanced and ready to finally get my system installed.

Here are the particulars:
  • Solar Panels will be 2s2p @ 1640W / 84V / 19.3A
  • Battery will be 8s2p @ 24V / 560Ah
  • Overkill 8s 100A BMS x 2
  • MPP Hybrid LV2424
  • DC/DC Converter (24v > 12v) @ 100A
Where I'm hung up is this:
The instructions to the MPP suggest putting a breaker between the inverter and the grid power coming in. My RV takes 50A service when I go to the RV park (which is rare). The input rating on this inverter is 40A. Do I have a problem?

I've attached a drawing that I'm still working on and is missing an item or two, such as the line from the 12VDC 80A breaker to the leveling system. So you may see something that doesn't look right, feel free to let me know.

TYIA,
Brian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.10.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.10.25 PM.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 18
Hello Everyone,

Let me start out by saying I'm a noob, so be gentle.

I have my 16 LIFEPo4 all top balanced and ready to finally get my system installed.

You will likely want to top them off immediately before deploying them.

Here are the particulars:
  • Solar Panels will be 2s2p @ 1640W / 84V / 19.3A
  • Battery will be 8s2p @ 24V / 560Ah
  • Overkill 8s 100A BMS x 2
  • MPP Hybrid LV2424
  • DC/DC Converter (24v > 12v) @ 100A
Where I'm hung up is this:
The instructions to the MPP suggest putting a breaker between the inverter and the grid power coming in. My RV takes 50A service when I go to the RV park (which is rare). The input rating on this inverter is 40A. Do I have a problem?

Yes. That unit can only accept 40A input at 120V. 50A shore power is 120/240VAC split phase.

Your RV AC panel is wired like split phase. When you plug into 30A power, the 30-50A adapter bridges L1 to L2 so that you get 120VAC on both halves of the panel, but they are the same phase, so 0V to each other.

You need to make provisions for being plugged into 50A or 30A and how you're going to power the RV with the inverter.

There are a handful of solutions on this site.

The easy button is the Victron multiplus-II.

It basically handles it all internally.

It provides a little more power and has a true surge capability. If you have any desire to run A/C via your MPP, it might not be able to start the compressor without a soft starter installed. Victron costs a lot more than the MPP Solar unit, and you'll need an MPPT too.

There are a handful of solutions on this site.

The easy button is the Victron multiplus-II.

It basically handles it all internally.

It provides a little more power and has a true surge capability. If you have any desire to run A/C via your MPP, it might not be able to start the compressor without a soft starter installed. Victron costs a lot more than the MPP Solar unit, and you'll need an MPPT too.
I already own the MPP, so I'd prefer to find a solution using what I have. I'm not attempting to run the A/C with the solar. I've understood that I need to be on shore or run the generator if I want A/C. With that being the case, do you think I can accomplish this without the Victron unit?

Manual transfer switch selecting between shore power and inverter power. If plugged into 30A, you pass single phase through to the inverter while providing single phase to both legs.

If plugged into 50A, you bypass the inverter completely, but you might be able to wire it such that you have L1/N of the 50A short power input into the inverter to top off your batteries.

If you use wiring rated for the 50a, you should be fine. The inverter has either a fuse or push button breaker, to protect itself. It may be undesirable to have to deal with though.

Manual transfer switch selecting between shore power and inverter power. If plugged into 30A, you pass single phase through to the inverter while providing single phase to both legs.

If plugged into 50A, you bypass the inverter completely, but you might be able to wire it such that you have L1/N of the 50A short power input into the inverter to top off your batteries.
There is an automatic transfer switch currently to switch between the 50A shore and the generator. Where would the manual switch be placed?

Back