diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV2424 stops taking PV input

MarkLeid

MPP LV2424 stops accepting PV input.
For some reason once the battery is fully charged PV1 (4 - 200W panels series) shows 89V but only 2W and does not supply power to the load (10%).

Using AC in. Utility powers the load and continues to charge battery if needed. System works fine in the morning with PV providing some power (shows 250W) and utility providing the balance. At night system goes into battery mode correctly.

Switch off the PV breaker for a minute and turned it back on. It starts working fine. PV in shows 70V and 200W. This happens every day.

I'm in Greenville, SC so we are getting good sun. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-155405_SolarPower.jpg
    Screenshot_20230221-155405_SolarPower.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Switch off the PV breaker for a minute and turned it back on. It starts working fine. PV in shows 70V and 200W. This happens every day.
The battery bms is shutting down ?

I think this is a settings issue.
4 - 200W panels series) shows 89V but only 2W and does not supply power to the load (10%).
i don’t know your AIO but does it have a menu option for SBU?

LV2424-MSD (https://watts247.com/product/pip-lv2424-msd/) only one PV input. Can you verify the full model number?
Also "System works fine in the morning with PV providing some power (shows 250W) and utility providing the balance. At night system goes into battery mode correctly."
As far as I know, LV2424-MSD, the AC output is either from inverter only or from utility (bypass mode) only, not both at the same time.

LV2424-MSD (https://watts247.com/product/pip-lv2424-msd/) only one PV input. Can you verify the full model number?
Also "System works fine in the morning with PV providing some power (shows 250W) and utility providing the balance. At night system goes into battery mode correctly."
As far as I know, LV2424-MSD, the AC output is either from inverter only or from utility (bypass mode) only, not both at the same time.
Thanks for the response. Doesn't explain why solar input stops though. If I turn the solar breaker off and back on it starts to show solar output again.

MPP LV2424 stops accepting PV input.
For some reason once the battery is fully charged PV1 (4 - 200W panels series) shows 89V but only 2W and does not supply power to the load (10%).

Using AC in. Utility powers the load and continues to charge battery if needed. System works fine in the morning with PV providing some power (shows 250W) and utility providing the balance. At night system goes into battery mode correctly.

I'm in Greenville, SC so we are getting good sun. Any ideas?
Update. System worked fine all morning, even with battery fully charged. Around 12:30pm PV input changed to show 90V and 2W. Found I have to turn off breaker and wait for LV2424 to go into battery mode. Turn PV breaker back on and everything works fine. PV is generating 86V and 286W. If breaker is turned back on before battery mode there is no change.

Thanks for the response. Doesn't explain why solar input stops though. If I turn the solar breaker off and back on it starts to show solar output again.
The reason I ask about the exact model is so i can download the user manual and see if the setting may be issue.
What is the setting on prog #20?
Did it have this issue before?

Update. System worked fine all morning…

Found I have to turn off breaker and wait for LV2424 to go into battery mode. Turn PV breaker back on and everything works fine. PV is generating 86V and 286W. If breaker is turned back on before battery mode there is no change.
That sounds remarkably similar to a charging issue that I’ve been having with very different equipment.

I haven’t had a full-sun day since I did some things so I’m not proved out yet. However, my conclusions are that either the BMS’s are shutting down or the SCCs are shutting down charging due to high voltage. The most likely scenario to my mind in my circumstances is that the SCC is locking out due to high voltage either by design or a software bug with reconnect. With the overcast, partial sun, or short-duration full sun it has not cut out since lowering charging limit and boost/bulk voltage substantially with float voltage lower as well.

I said all that to give context to this: it is possible (but without knowing your settings it’s a wildhat guess) that you need to reduce the solar charging and floating voltage enough that spikes/surges in solar input once you are near or approaching full charge do not cut off charging and thereby continue at whatever amps of charge the batteries can take.

That’s my suggestion anyway.

Perhaps posting your settings along with:
exact model is so i can download the user manual and see if the setting may be issue.
What is the setting on prog #20?
Did it have this issue before?

Back