diy solar

diy solar

MPP HV LV2424 (green) confusion

mmm33732

Hi there. New here. I searched and could not find anything on this. So basically, I just got the hybrid LV2424. It will only have about 680w of PV panels connected to it. The plan was to have it grid tied to supplement the current home grid usage (generally between .6-4kw). I'm confused as the the AC wiring where it has both and AC input and an AC output. In a grid tied scenario, wouldn't both be going to the same source (home breaker box/grid)? I realized the input is for it to pull from the grid for battery charging, etc and output would be for the load, but if you are doing a grid tie to supplement grid usage, the load would be everything on the home breaker panel. Can both AC input and AC output be connected the the same source? If not, how do you wire this for supplemental grid tied use for a home pulling more than the inverter can make? Thanks for any help.

It is not a traditional grid tie. You can not back feed the AC in during operation. So it will not power your Main panel. It can supplement grid with inverter to load from AC out.

For instance you have it connected to a independent load panel powering house loads on AC out. It can run from grid in bypass, run from PV and grid or off the battery.

It is not a traditional grid tie. You can not back feed the AC in during operation. So it will not power your Main panel. It can supplement grid with inverter to load from AC out.

For instance you have it connected to a independent load panel powering house loads on AC out. It can run from grid in bypass, run from PV and grid or off the battery.
Not exactly: AFAIK what you are referring to is the WHITE LV2424. The GREEN one can actually do grid-tie with excess solar not being used to charge the battery or power the loads (similar to my MUST AIO inverter).

Look at this video from Ian:
At the end of the video, he gives this summary, which states the the green can do grid-feedback.
Screenshot_20230714-175651_YouTube.jpg

@mmm33732 The grid-tie feature works on the AC IN. Certainly do NOT connect AC IN and AC OUT to the same panel!

When excess solar is available and you have enabled grid feedback via the settings, it will push power to the AC IN, which is synchronized to the grid.
The AC OUT is only for powering loads.

Last edited:
Not exactly: AFAIK what you are referring to is the WHITE LV2424. The GREEN one can actually do grid-tie with excess solar not being used to charge the battery or power the loads (similar to my MUST AIO inverter).

Look at this video from Ian:

@mmm33732 The grid-tie feature works on the AC IN. Certainly do NOT connect AC IN and AC OUT to the same panel!

When excess solar is available and you have enabled grid feedback via the settings, it will push power to the AC IN, which is synchronized to the grid.
The manual I pulled from Watts247 based on the model number must have been different that this green one than. Do you have a link to the correct manual? If it back feeds on AC in it must have CT's that need installing ahead of main panel to control how much is fed to grid.

BTW, watching long videos to extract information is not the easiest thing to do. I prefer reading manuals.

Last edited:

So in the scenario I have (wanting to grid tie) to simply supplement (i.e. lower electric bill a little), I would only use the AC in. Is that correct?

So in the scenario I have (wanting to grid tie) to simply supplement (i.e. lower electric bill a little), I would only use the AC in. Is that correct?
Before you do be aware that you need an agreement to interconnect (net meter) from your utility company.

Yes. But you could also power some loads from the AC OUT. This will also give those loads backup power in case the grid goes down.

The manual I pulled from Watts247 based on the model number must have been different that this green one than. Do you have a link to the correct manual? If it back feeds on AC in it must have CT's that need installing ahead of main panel to control how much is fed to grid.

BTW, watching long videos to extract information is not the easiest thing to do. I prefer reading manuals.
Yeah, I remembered that he mentioned it somewhere in the video, but after seeing it again, I found the summary in the end.
This model doesn't have any CT inputs. It will push power to the grid according to another setting. But under that maximum, it doesn't control how much power the household uses, so it will push as much as it can.

The MPP user manual for the LV2424 is pretty generic and covers various models. I found it strange that it doesn't mention this feature or the settings for it.

The manual for my MUST 3K 24V (model PH-18 Plus) does mention these settings. MUST used to be Voltronic clones/rebrand and therefore are pretty similar. But the newer models have diverged a bit from the original Voltronic HW and FW. Still there are many similarities. I find the LV2424 Green the most similar to my MUST inverter.

Great, thanks.

Now say in the future the grid is down for a while and I need to convert this over to off-grid... Rather than rewiring the loads to the AC output, I could essentially disconnect the main (so there is now island protection) and move the break box connection over from AC in to AC out, right? (assuming the total load is under this inverter's rated 2.4kw)

Does anything need changed in the settings/software to switch between grid tie and off-grid?

Last question (I think). I have a whole house standby generator. As long as the solar ties in before the transfer switch (ie grid side) (so solar power does not meet generator power in the event the generator comes on) all is fine, correct? I was told this was necessary as if the generator is running at the same time as solar inverters on the same connection, things go bad?

Back