diy solar

diy solar

Grounding question? Is this correct or incorrect?

glandpuck

Solar Enthusiast
I am having an inverter error when I connect my grid source. Going through other posts on the forum, I may have a connection error. So here is how my grounding is connected:

The PV ground (DC source) wire is connected to the ground bus bar on the inverter.
The lithium battery bank ground (DC source) is connected to the ground bus bar of the inverter.
The grid circuit (grid tie to inverter) ground (source is main panel) is connected to a common bus bar with the load subpanel and generator output (AC) and then they go to the inverter bus ground bar.

So it appears I have grounding from 2 DC sources and grounding from an AC source and out to the AC subpanel.

Is this okay or not okay?

Your batteries should not interface electrically with the line. The case should be bonded, but not the battery terminals.

Best to start with Make an Model of your inverter - there are a lot of things specific to each inverter.
Typically (as Sennen has noted) the Battery Neg doesn't connect to ground, the battery case does.

Good morning. I have made these observations:

Conditions:
1. PV switch OFF to inverter and batteries connected with SOC 98% and no load or AC connection and no connections to the neutral bus or ground bus, the voltage between neutral and ground bus bar is 6VDC.

2. If I switch ON the PV at side switch of the inverter, the voltage between neutral and ground bus bars is now 215VDC. PV voltage is 340.7 and 407.3. 0 watts of PV power to batteries because BMS 98% SOC.

3. If I land only the AC ground on the ground bus of the inverter and nothing connected to the neutral bus bar of inverter and no grid or load input, load breakers off, battery breakers on, PV ON, the neutral bus bar to ground measures 215VDC.

Good morning. I have made these observations:

Conditions:
1. PV switch OFF to inverter and batteries connected with SOC 98% and no load or AC connection and no connections to the neutral bus or ground bus, the voltage between neutral and ground bus bar is 6VDC.

2. If I switch ON the PV at side switch of the inverter, the voltage between neutral and ground bus bars is now 215VDC. PV voltage is 340.7 and 407.3. 0 watts of PV power to batteries because BMS 98% SOC.

3. If I land only the AC ground on the ground bus of the inverter and nothing connected to the neutral bus bar of inverter and no grid or load input, load breakers off, battery breakers on, PV ON, the neutral bus bar to ground measures 215VDC.
To paraphrase OffGridForGood...
Best to start with Make an Model of your inverter - there are a lot of things specific to each inverter.

You shouldn't have any voltage from Neutral to Ground. Something has gone horridly wrong.

*edited in
Also, MSPaint up a diagram of your wiring... or include pictures

My inverter is a Lux 12k.
The system produces error E019 bus voltage high. This error repeats over and over when the following conditions are met:
When the system errors, the grid tie provides power to the load sub panel and the batteries are not used and the PV output drops to zero. If I shut off grid tie at a branch breaker, the error goes away. If I leave grid tie ON and turn off PV at switch on inverter, the error goes away.
All of the PV voltages reported are will within the specs of the system.
The bats are Pytes Ebox 41000R, 8 in parallel and using canbus connection.
Two Lux inverters have met this same fate so far. Lux support has no ideas at this point.
There is a lot of data recorded, apparent times of grid and battery instability in the inverter, the error occurs even in darkenss if PV and grid both on at same time.
All wiring correct. Wired as diagram in manual for Lux on Page 12.
Past testing has included removing 2 of 3 PV arrays and moving the inputs to different connectors, ie PV1 or PV2 or PV3. This makes no difference.

Back