diy solar

diy solar

48V Alligator Clip Charger - to 6 battery busbar or a single battery? Connection ordering?

girfold

Hey all, I've got a 120V to 48V ~15A (~800W) charger for my LifePower4 batteries that are in one of those 6 battery server racks. This charger has alligator clips, is it ok for me to plug this into the bottom battery, or better to plug into the busbar? Would like to be able to charge while batteries are running - I usually turn off the whole system to do any work on my system, but would like to have a good means of hooking up this charger while everything is live. Guessing just like a car battery hookup where I'd do 1st red then 2nd black. And disconnect by pulling black off then red for no spark? Or just wait until after hooking it up to plug in the charger? Thanks!

Thanks @hwy17 ! I think one issue is that the cables that came with the charger are fairly short. Getting to the terminal leads on one of the LifePower4 batteries is possible, but might be a bit of a stretch to go much further - I'll see if they reach all the way to both busbars, but definitely won't reach diagonally for the bus bars without some modification of the wire.

I'm tempted to look for some adaptor I could splice into the cable that would let me swap from terminal lugs to the alligator clips. I think I've seen something like that with plastic hard pieces in the middle to help keep it together. The gator clips are useful for adhoc 48V stuff, but most times I'll probably just going to have it wired to the battery array.

Oh yeah, I just stick mine on the inverter terminals. If those have a grab point that works well because your inverter cables probably already go to a balanced wiring plan. I put it so it's mainly grabbing the sides of the wire lug not the bolt.

But yes, crimping ring terminals on instead is better for a permanent install. Those can also get stacked on your inverter lugs if you want.

Back