diy solar

diy solar

6000XP's

dmkjr

Solar Enthusiast
I have two 6000xp's on the way. I will be eliminating a defective 6500ex and replacing one more. From the literature, I do not see where it is clear on how to parallel the legs together from the two inverters. Meaning, each leg is 3,000w per inverter. So L1 from both inverters in parallel should be 6,000w at the same voltage. Do I need to combine on a bus bar before running to L1 of breaker box? Follow suit for L2? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you,
DK

Last edited:
I have two 6000xp's on the way. I will be eliminating a defective 6500ex and replacing one more. From the literature, I do not see where it is clear on how to parallel the legs together from the two inverters. Meaning, each leg is 3,000w per inverter. So L1 from both inverters in parallel should be 6,000w at the same voltage. Do I need to combine on a bus bar before running to L1 of breaker box? Follow suit for L2? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you,
DK
Morris Products Black Insulated Multi-Cable Connector – 3 Wire Ports, Small Wire Range, 2-Pack, (97513) https://a.co/d/7VinhHG

This Would work, since both inverters have built in OCP.

You could also run both inverters to a "combiner" breaker panel. Just don't cross the L1 and L2 when you land your breakers.

Morris Products Black Insulated Multi-Cable Connector – 3 Wire Ports, Small Wire Range, 2-Pack, (97513) https://a.co/d/7VinhHG

You could also run both inverters to a "combiner" breaker panel. Just don't cross the L1 and L2 when you land your breakers.
I’ve used these before. Didn’t even think about this method. Would you just secure them in a junction box? I used for a different grounding application.

Probably Yes. Most breaker mechanical lugs are not rated for 2 wires. They should be combined on a bus bar or via a distribution block like this one.

Or it may be possible to get a 4 pole breaker or 2 x 2 pole breakers and an extended handle tie. Depends on how much extra space is available.
This looks like a good method. Will try to find something that is available now so I don’t have to wait until next year.

Would you just secure them in a junction box?
Yes, a 4x6 should be large enough to fit 3 of these....nothing wrong with going bigger if you want more wire space.

Edit to say. 2 plus 2 small bus bars or 4 total.

If you use those connectors vs each having a breaker per inverter in a load center, I assume both inverters will always have power on the AC out lines meaning it would be difficult to work on one while keeping the other running.

If you use those connectors vs each having a breaker per inverter in a load center, I assume both inverters will always have power on the AC out lines meaning it would be difficult to work on one while keeping the other running.
That’s also a good point. I could have another breaker panel combining the two inverters. That would be a “safer” method in case I needed to work on something. Or, I could just put a breaker per load from each inverter at the combiner. Will allow me to kill power to one inverter at a time.

Both inverters have breakers. Yes the line between the two disconnects would be energized unless you turn off both inverter breakers.

Personally I plan on landing both inverters to a small 100 amp panel with 2-2 pole breakers

Both inverters have breakers. Yes the line between the two disconnects would be energized unless you turn off both inverter breakers.

Personally I plan on landing both inverters to a small 100 amp panel with 2-2 pole breakers
You’re getting another 6000xp? If so….awesome!!!! Think you’ve been using them the longest on the forum. Any concerns at this point. Your CONS list wasn’t too bad.

You’re getting another 6000xp? If so….awesome!!!! Think you’ve been using them the longest on the forum. Any concerns at this point. Your CONS list wasn’t too bad.
Order placed.

Making room on my wall to fit a second.

20231111_140910.jpg20231111_125622.jpg

This is the rough plan at the moment.

Pretty awesome that you will be able switch between 18kPV and the XPs. Looking forward to seeing this project!
I'd love to figure out a way to use peak shaving on the 18Kpv and use the 2-6000XPs as grid for the 18Kpv input.

Realistically the 6000XPs will be used for EV charging, Hot Water dump and redundancy.

Sometime in the not near future...my cabin in the woods.

Updated photo, not sure if I like the location of the battery cables. (Just a temporary setup...who am I kidding. It will look like this for 2 years ??).

20231111_233440.jpg

I have purchased 4 of the 6000xp's. Waiting for delivery. I had 4 of the Eg4 6500ex models, but all four shorted out. Signature Solar has warrantied all four including paying to ship them back. The manufacturer is not making them anymore either which leads me to believe they were having a lot of returns. This is for a whole house off-grid home.

I have purchased 4 of the 6000xp's. Waiting for delivery. I had 4 of the Eg4 6500ex models, but all four shorted out. Signature Solar has warrantied all four including paying to ship them back. The manufacturer is not making them anymore either which leads me to believe they were having a lot of returns. This is for a whole house off-grid home.
Sort of in the same boat. Had an issue with one unit. However, SS agreed to take back my other unit since the two would not communicate. Once first XP gets here, I plan to install and ship back other unit for a second one.

Sort of in the same boat. Had an issue with one unit. However, SS agreed to take back my other unit since the two would not communicate. Once first XP gets here, I plan to install and ship back other unit for a second one.
Took a couple weeks between waiting + tests they requested I do. Finally they emailed UPS shipping labels, sent them back that day. Had to wait for them to receive them, inspect them, then they issued a credit. Almost 3 weeks now, but the new ones are on back order. So probably early December. Hopefully these new fancy shmanzy models work better... Probably will use a small breaker panel and separate breakers for each 6000xp L1 and L2 lines to combine together so I can get 24kw of power. I have a 14kw solar array setup already divided into 4 strings, and 2 of he 6-pack towers of Signature Solar Life power battery banks.

Took a couple weeks between waiting + tests they requested I do. Finally they emailed UPS shipping labels, sent them back that day. Had to wait for them to receive them, inspect them, then they issued a credit. Almost 3 weeks now, but the new ones are on back order. So probably early December. Hopefully these new fancy shmanzy models work better... Probably will use a small breaker panel and separate breakers for each 6000xp L1 and L2 lines to combine together so I can get 24kw of power. I have a 14kw solar array setup already divided into 4 strings, and 2 of he 6-pack towers of Signature Solar Life power battery banks.
That’s interesting they are on back order. No one has mentioned that to me in the entire process. Actually they said it would ship early this week.

Also, my process on approval for RMA return was about 6 hours. I can say the initial tech was great and then we had some help from an EG4 person on this forum as well.

That’s interesting they are on back order. No one has mentioned that to me in the entire process. Actually they said it would ship early this week.

Also, my process on approval for RMA return was about 6 hours. I can say the initial tech was great and then we had some help from an EG4 person on this forum as well.
Ok now you're just rubbing it in and making me jealous. I had a long and frustrating experience with them. I was calling every day. AND I was always very patient and polite.

Ok now you're just rubbing it in and making me jealous. I had a long and frustrating experience with them. I was calling every day. AND I was always very patient and polite.
I don’t want to give away all of the tricks, but someone with the name that rhymes with Carrot…that is in management at SS is a lot of help. Hopefully you can figure it out without telling our secrets.

Please double and triple check where your L1s and L2s land with a multimeter...before turning on the breakers at your combiner panel.

Back