diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000xp

dmkjr

Solar Enthusiast
Most of us have probably seen Will’s review of the new EG4 6000xp by LuxPower.

However, I have a few questions that weren’t quite clear to me.

While the unit has surge capacity to 12kw, he said something about no surge capability on one leg only.

While in use two 6500ex units now, one unit has the ability to surge well above 6500w. I run each unit AC output into a subpanel and then run loads from that. Even if I have two 6000xp’s, one leg will never be able to surge above the 6000w (one leg in parallel between the two units)?

Second question, how is the fan noise from those that may have been able to test the unit?

While the unit has surge capacity to 12kw, he said something about no surge capability on one leg only.
That was a bit confusing in Wills video.

We need to differentiate between single leg Surge and Imbalance between legs.

The 6000XP *can* handle significant surge on a single leg. THe video that @Markus_EG4 posted above shows an 120v 5HP motor starting up. That created a significant surge.

However, for sustained current, the 6000XP can only handle 3KW on each leg.

That was a bit confusing in Wills video.

We need to differentiate between single leg Surge and Imbalance between legs.

The 6000XP *can* handle significant surge on a single leg. THe video that @Markus_EG4 posted above shows an 120v 5HP motor starting up. That created a significant surge.

However, for sustained current, the 6000XP can only handle 3KW on each leg.
How does that work when you put two or more in parallel? I'm assuming they automatically balance between inverters on each leg but it's not real clear. At least not that I can find anywhere.

Second question, how is the fan noise from those that may have been able to test the unit?
The spec is <58DB. (The 18Kpv is rated at <68DB and Will has commented several times about how quiet the 18Kpv is)

The fans are variable speed that wont ramp up till it is needed. Consequently, the unit will be a lot quieter than 68DB most of the time.

How would parallel 6000XPs compare with parallel 6500EX units for wiring, surge capacities, and functionality? I know its a big question but I am looking at replacing a pair of 6500ex's with the 6000XPs.

How does that work when you put two or more in parallel? I'm assuming they automatically balance between inverters on each leg but it's not real clear. At least not that I can find anywhere.
Lets answer that two ways:

When disconnected from the grid and running from batteries, the load will be balanced between the two inverters. The capability for surge handling will be double a single inverter and the continuous current capability of either 240 or 120 will also be doubled.

When in pass-through mode it will be as balanced as the wiring. With two inverters in parallel, there *will* be slight differences in the resistance of the path going through one inverter vs the other inverter. This is due to variations in the wiring to the inverter, minor differences in the path through the inverters and its relays and variations from the output to the point the outputs come together. The end result is that you will almost certainly see more current going through one inverter than the other. This not an issue, but it can be a surprise to people.

How would parallel 6000XPs compare with parallel 6500EX units for wiring, surge capacities, and functionality? I know its a big question but I am looking at replacing a pair of 6500ex's with the 6000XPs.
Why fix what isn't broken? You have 13kW, and 2 of these would be 12kW.

And the infamous F80 fault I'm getting that shuts all power down til you cycle everything back up.
So I have learned something new about the F80 error. Supposedly, adding the g/n bonding screw back into the inverter may resolve this issue. You would just want to make sure you have the latest firmware and proper option set for option 42.

So I have learned something new about the F80 error. Supposedly, adding the g/n bonding screw back into the inverter may resolve this issue. You would just want to make sure you have the latest firmware and proper option set for option 42.
Hi @Adam De Lay , I was going back and forth you on one of your great YouTube videos. I'm finally going to swap out the replacement 6500s SS sent me and hopefully my issues of charging at 60A or above throwing a P80 goes away. And all other issues ....

Where did you hear about putting a crew back in? I guess I will leave mine in on the new one and set 42 to enable to not have g/n bonded.

I still have two more 6500s that were bought a year ago for my other system upgrade and never opened, thinking about selling (here or eBay better?) And getting 1 or 2 6000XPs.

Also thinking about using current collected instead of SS if they won't give me "trade in" credit since service is so slow and have had bad advice at that.

Hi @Adam De Lay , I was going back and forth you on one of your great YouTube videos. I'm finally going to swap out the replacement 6500s SS sent me and hopefully my issues of charging at 60A or above throwing a P80 goes away. And all other issues ....
Fingers crossed!

Where did you hear about putting a crew back in? I guess I will leave mine in on the new one and set 42 to enable to not have g/n bonded.
@Markus_EG4 mentioned it on a Facebook EG4 group. You would have to check and see if the new ones have the screw. After a certain point, they stopped shipping with the screws at all. Not sure if they've added them back in.

I still have two more 6500s that were bought a year ago for my other system upgrade and never opened, thinking about selling (here or eBay better?) And getting 1 or 2 6000XPs.
Hard to say where would be better to sell.
Also thinking about using current collected instead of SS if they won't give me "trade in" credit since service is so slow and have had bad advice at that.
(y)

Fingers crossed!

@Markus_EG4 mentioned it on a Facebook EG4 group. You would have to check and see if the new ones have the screw. After a certain point, they stopped shipping with the screws at all. Not sure if they've added them back in.

Hard to say where would be better to sell.

(y)
Thanks for the replies. I just asked to join that group. The worrying things is that both my old inverters and these replacements both have a 9/2022 date on them....just got them off and new ones on, will wire up and smoke test shortly.

Thanks for the replies. I just asked to join that group. The worrying things is that both my old inverters and these replacements both have a 9/2022 date on them....just got them off and new ones on, will wire up and smoke test shortly.
Good luck. Those ones "should" have the screws already in them.

Back