diy solar

diy solar

need advice on signature solar

gisean04

I installed 2 Eg4 6500ex inverters from Signature Solar back in October of 2023 Everything was fine till I hooked up the batteries and solar to my inverter number 2. Then both units were fried. turned out there was a manufacturing defect. I got both units replaced under warranty with Signature Solar with no problem. That was right when they stopped selling the Eg4 6500ex units. One of the replacement units was damaged in shipping and ended up being sent back. I got a refurbished unit in about 2 weeks ago. it's been running with no problem until yesterday. I saw that it was not putting out any watts, it was set in utility first to charge the batteries up. inverter number 1 was sending power just fine. I have lithium-ion batteries so 62 volts is as most and these inverters can charge them too. inverter number 2 was showing 62V on the battery, this explained the 0 watts. but inverter number 1 was showing 59V. I checked the batteries with a multi-meater and they were at 59v. so I called Signature Solar tech support, while on hold I flipped the invert number 2 battery breaker off the inverter did not show the batter disconnected. I flipped it on and saw what I thought was a spark out of the breaker. then I got to talking with the girl from tech support, while I was talking to her I saw a spark out of the bottom of inverter number 2. I shut all the power off, battery/solar/gird. To her credit, the tech support girl also said to do this at the same time.

so now I'm a bit leery of the 6500ex model, does anyone know if Signature Solar will be willing to take both units back and let me pay the difference to upgrade to the eg4 6000xp units?

They might do something on a case-by-case basis, but I haven't heard of any upgrade program for the 6000xp.

I installed 2 Eg4 6500ex inverters from Signature Solar back in October of 2023 Everything was fine till I hooked up the batteries and solar to my inverter number 2. Then both units were fried. turned out there was a manufacturing defect. I got both units replaced under warranty with Signature Solar with no problem. That was right when they stopped selling the Eg4 6500ex units. One of the replacement units was damaged in shipping and ended up being sent back. I got a refurbished unit in about 2 weeks ago. it's been running with no problem until yesterday. I saw that it was not putting out any watts, it was set in utility first to charge the batteries up. inverter number 1 was sending power just fine. I have lithium-ion batteries so 62 volts is as most and these inverters can charge them too. inverter number 2 was showing 62V on the battery, this explained the 0 watts. but inverter number 1 was showing 59V. I checked the batteries with a multi-meater and they were at 59v. so I called Signature Solar tech support, while on hold I flipped the invert number 2 battery breaker off the inverter did not show the batter disconnected. I flipped it on and saw what I thought was a spark out of the breaker. then I got to talking with the girl from tech support, while I was talking to her I saw a spark out of the bottom of inverter number 2. I shut all the power off, battery/solar/gird. To her credit, the tech support girl also said to do this at the same time.

so now I'm a bit leery of the 6500ex model, does anyone know if Signature Solar will be willing to take both units back and let me pay the difference to upgrade to the eg4 6000xp units?
If you'd like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com, we can have a look into your units and see if there is anything we can do to help!

I can tell you my experience.

They did take my 6500ex’s back and exchange at full value for the 6000xp’s. One of my 6500ex units had a malfunction. I did not want to accept a refurbished unit so they provided store credit for the 6000xp. Once the 6000xp arrived, I installed and shipped back the perfectly working 6500ex and about two months later I received my second 6000xp.

6000xp is not even comparable to the 6500ex. Completely different ballgame. Signature Solar was challenging at times, but there were a few people that were extremely helpful and I was satisfied. Just don’t ever listen to Customer Service when they said they would call you back with information. 5-8 times I was told that, never happened. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you so much for the update, @dmkjr ! I will definitely relay this feedback to improve this process!
I'm so glad we could get you taken care of, and please don't hesitate to reach back out with any questions or concerns! ☀️

I was thinking of going with signature solar but just found out the the tesla power wall 3s, which have an inverter built in are selling for about $5700 each so two of them are just a little more than the EG4 PowerPro ESS 14.3Wh and EG4-18KPV & EG4-PowerPro Wall mount battery.
Now I have to investigate this a bit further but I sure would like to see a comparison on line between these two systems but as I am finding out, not a lot of solar installers, even here in San Antonio, know about Signature Solar. I have started ending the call of solar installers if they have not heard or know of Signature Solar!

Back