diy solar

diy solar

64 CALB 230ah Cells - Best Configuration

Eclipse

Just looking for some advice. From researching, it does not appear there is a right or wrong way, whether I do parallel or series first. I have ordered and am waiting on 64 of the CALB 230ah cell. The batteries will be powering 2 MPP 6548 all in ones (13kw total). I can wire the cell in one of the below configurations:

1. 2x 2P16S
2x 2P16S.png
OR

2. 16S4P
16S4P.png

Is the only downside to 16S4P the fact that I need to additional BMS units? The obvious advantage to 16S4P seems like would be if I needed to take a battery bank offline, having 3 battery banks still up would still be able to handle the load fine.

Thoughts on which configuration you would do? Also trying to figure out how to size bus bars properly. I will be ordering a copper bar online to make my own.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

The biggest difference is the output- if each bms can handle 100a, then the first method you have 200a available- in the second 400a available.

What size of inverter do you have?

Assuming either will power the inverter just fine - I would go with the simplest for operations- which is the top one 2p16s2p

That’s my opinion

Good Luck

I bought two JK-B2A24S20P BMS units. Each is rated for 200a. Was debating if I should get two more.

I have two of the MPP LV6548 inverters that will be run in parallel for a total of 13kw.

I bought two JK-B2A24S20P BMS units. Each is rated for 200a. Was debating if I should get two more.

I have two of the MPP LV6548 inverters that will be run in parallel for a total of 13kw.
You are correct in terms of there seemingly being no right or wrong way how to configure those batteries given the context you outlined. You may wish to consider this- Are you offgrid or still will be ongrid? If you're totally offgrid, and you needed to take one of the batteries offline for whatever reason, can the remaining battery/batteries comfortably power your loads? You need to answer that question for each configuration you listed above to help guide your decision.

You are correct in terms of there seemingly being no right or wrong way how to configure those batteries given the context you outlined. You may wish to consider this- Are you offgrid or still will be ongrid? If you're totally offgrid, and you needed to take one of the batteries offline for whatever reason, can the remaining battery/batteries comfortably power your loads? You need to answer that question for each configuration you listed above to help guide your decision.

Good thoughts to consider. I am not totally offgrid. And I would be able to power 80% of the loads with one battery. I am thinking that 2p 16s2p is the way to go.

Thoughts on which configuration you would do?
It looks like you have already seen the resource document that covers various cell configurations so I won't go over all the info in there.
However, one aspect of Parallel first vs Serial first that I have not yet put in the pros & cons chart in the document is the balancing capability of the BMSs.

With Parallel first, the BMS is trying to balance large 'mega cells' with the same balance current. With Serial First there are more BMSs and therefore more balancing current. If you are starting with decent cells, balance them properly, and set up the balance settings in the BMS properly, this is not a big deal (Particularly with the powerful active balance capability of the JK BMS). However, it is one more aspect to consider when doing your planning.

For other folks: Here is the document I am talking about.

Also trying to figure out how to size bus bars properly. I will be ordering a copper bar online to make my own.
The busbar size is driven by the load you expect to put on the battery. You mentioned two 6548s. That is 13000W when at full capacity.
Assuming a 95% efficiency, the current for that will be:
(13000/.95)/48 = 285A.

In 'normal' operations, each battery will be providing ~ 143A. However, you indicated you would like to be able to run the system off of a single 2P16S battery so ideally, each battery would be able to handle the full 285A. However, your BMS will limit you to 200A so that will be the peak continuous current and the bus bars need to be able to handle at least 200A. (I would pick the busbar for 250A or more just to be on the safe side.)

This resource from @kromc5 provides a nice table for busbar ampacity:

You will probably be picking either 3/4" wide or 1" wide stock. I like to go thicker rather than wider because there is less conducting surface exposed. However, if you have welded studs on the cells, you must consider whether the thick Busbar, Lug, washer, lock washer, and nut will all fit on the stud. (I did not pay attention to this once and ended up having to counter-sink the nuts into the top of the busbar. The countersink had to be quite large in order to get a socket wrench around the nut. It was a real PITA that I would not do again.)

The table gives busbar ampacity at various temperatures. The chart does not say, but the ratings are probably for bare copper with no coverings. Consequently, I would lean toward using the 30deg-rise column because I like to heat-shrink the bar to help reduce the possibility of a short.

The other thing to consider is that copper and the aluminum on the cell pad will interact so at an absolute minimum you should use something like NO-LOX to seal up the connection. Using tinned busbars would be a far superior solution. I would recommend using tinned copper and No-Lox.... but I will admit I am convinced that the infamous Murphy is out to get me. (Note: you can buy a tinned copper bar or you can tin the copper yourself)

I don't know where you live, but here in the States, I have had good luck buying copper bar stock from OnlineMetals.com. (I have no affiliation with them). Also, once you sign up to their system they will text a 15% discount code almost every month.

It looks like you have already seen the resource document that covers various cell configurations so I won't go over all the info in there.
However, one aspect of Parallel first vs Serial first that I have not yet put in the pros & cons chart in the document is the balancing capability of the BMSs.

With Parallel first, the BMS is trying to balance large 'mega cells' with the same balance current. With Serial First there are more BMSs and therefore more balancing current. If you are starting with decent cells, balance them properly, and set up the balance settings in the BMS properly, this is not a big deal (Particularly with the powerful active balance capability of the JK BMS). However, it is one more aspect to consider when doing your planning.

For other folks: Here is the document I am talking about.

The busbar size is driven by the load you expect to put on the battery. You mentioned two 6548s. That is 13000W when at full capacity.
Assuming a 95% efficiency, the current for that will be:
(13000/.95)/48 = 285A.

In 'normal' operations, each battery will be providing ~ 143A. However, you indicated you would like to be able to run the system off of a single 2P16S battery so ideally, each battery would be able to handle the full 285A. However, your BMS will limit you to 200A so that will be the peak continuous current and the bus bars need to be able to handle at least 200A. (I would pick the busbar for 250A or more just to be on the safe side.)

This resource from @kromc5 provides a nice table for busbar ampacity:

You will probably be picking either 3/4" wide or 1" wide stock. I like to go thicker rather than wider because there is less conducting surface exposed. However, if you have welded studs on the cells, you must consider whether the thick Busbar, Lug, washer, lock washer, and nut will all fit on the stud. (I did not pay attention to this once and ended up having to counter-sink the nuts into the top of the busbar. The countersink had to be quite large in order to get a socket wrench around the nut. It was a real PITA that I would not do again.)

The table gives busbar ampacity at various temperatures. The chart does not say, but the ratings are probably for bare copper with no coverings. Consequently, I would lean toward using the 30deg-rise column because I like to heat-shrink the bar to help reduce the possibility of a short.

The other thing to consider is that copper and the aluminum on the cell pad will interact so at an absolute minimum you should use something like NO-LOX to seal up the connection. Using tinned busbars would be a far superior solution. I would recommend using tinned copper and No-Lox.... but I will admit I am convinced that the infamous Murphy is out to get me. (Note: you can buy a tinned copper bar or you can tin the copper yourself)

I don't know where you live, but here in the States, I have had good luck buying copper bar stock from OnlineMetals.com. (I have no affiliation with them). Also, once you sign up to their system they will text a 15% discount code almost every month.

Thank you for the great info. I have new CALB 230ah cells from Docan coming. Even with the active balancing of the JK BMS, I am still planning on top balancing the cells first. Or at a minimum getting them close.

I have actually ordered aluminum from onlinemetals.com in the past for solar panel racking on my trailer. I was looking at their tinned copper stock. With your calculations, I have a good idea now on what size to get.

With multiple BMS units though, do most people also use a single smart shunt before the inverter/SCC to monitor the overall capacity of the batteries packs? Seems like it would make viewing overall data easier/quicker.

I really appreciate our input! Thank you.

With multiple BMS units though, do most people also use a single smart shunt before the inverter/SCC to monitor the overall capacity of the batteries packs? Seems like it would make viewing overall data easier/quicker.
Yes. A single shunt on the combined negatives coming from the two BMSs

Yes. A single shunt on the combined negatives coming from the two BMSs

Any other recommendations for copper besides onlinemetals.com by chance? The thinnest tinned copper they have is .25". My CALB 230ah cells have welded studs, so .25" is too thick (and waay thicker than I need).

Any other recommendations for copper besides onlinemetals.com by chance? The thinnest tinned copper they have is .25". My CALB 230ah cells have welded studs, so .25" is too thick (and waay thicker than I need).
Sorry... I don't

Back