diy solar

diy solar

6500EX-48 Generator Input/Usage

RoySalisbury

I'm getting ready to hookup my current generator to the 6500EX-48 and have a few questions.

1. Am I correct in assuming that there is not AGS functionality that allows for starting/stopping the generator (including warmup/cooldown cycles)?
2. Am I also correct in assuming that the AC input that would come from the generator will NOT power the loads directly (pass thru) but rather its just a battery charger (AC to DC). And that the loads are then powered via DC to AC just like normal. It would make sense considering I could have 2 inverters in a split phase (240) install but only a single 120v generator connection.

I'm used to my Outback inverter taking care of all my AGS functions so did not initially realize that the 6500EX was completely different.

And suggestions on hookup?

Roy

1. Don't know.

2. An inverter/charger can either be an inverter or a charger; not both at the same time. In parallel 120/240VAC systems that can accept only 120VAC input on one leg, THAT inverter is pass-through/charger, and it sets the phase/frequency for the other leg operating as an inverter.

I wouldn't take for granted that #2 can happen. With my Victron, I know it's possible, but it takes a special low-level setting not available through the typical user config tools.

Last edited:
I know that with my Outback inverter, when the generator is active, it act as a pass-thru for the AC loads, but also uses 20 amp AC for battery charging. The downside of the "pass-thru" is that its no longer "clean" power.

Roy

I can't tell, do you have one or two inverters? I am also trying to find information on how to connect my generator which is 50a 240V. A wiring diagram would be nice.

Reading in the manual, there is a normally open and normally closed dry contact (relay) on the 6500EX that could presumably be used to trigger AGS 'device' on warning voltage condition...

1659019623596.png

Ref:

If there is a program setting to make the inverter go into bypass on warning voltage, then seems like this dry contact could allow to start the generator which would then power the house loads, and start the battery bank charging.

I can't tell, do you have one or two inverters? I am also trying to find information on how to connect my generator which is 50a 240V. A wiring diagram would be nice.
Two of the 6500EX .. Right now I just have a single one hooked up until I get time to install the second solar array. I currently don't need the 240v, but will in the future.

Roy

BTW, why are you looking at downgrading your system? Have you considered the higher idle consumption?
It may look like a downgrade at the moment, but my existing system is setup for 24v and I reached the limit on it (its only 3500 watt inverter). As soon as I get all the parts up and running for this new system, it will be MUCH larger then the prior system (4-5x larger).

Roy

Reading in the manual, there is a normally open and normally closed dry contact (relay) on the 6500EX that could presumably be used to trigger AGS 'device' on warning voltage condition...

Ref:

If there is a program setting to make the inverter go into bypass on warning voltage, then seems like this dry contact could allow to start the generator which would then power the house loads, and start the battery bank charging.

I saw this, but was not sure it was meant to trigger the generator start since it had no prevision for warmup before throwing a large AC load at it. Or even a cool down when just "disconnecting" the AC load.

I might be better off not having the AGS and just deal with the generator manually when needed (which is another reason for my much larger battery bank). But I have found the AGS functionality on my Outback to be a VERY nice feature.

I saw this, but was not sure it was meant to trigger the generator start since it had no prevision for warmup before throwing a large AC load at it. Or even a cool down when just "disconnecting" the AC load.

I might be better off not having the AGS and just deal with the generator manually when needed (which is another reason for my much larger battery bank). But I have found the AGS functionality on my Outback to be a VERY nice feature.

It seems to me like the dry contact is to be triggered with the warning voltage alarm (not sure if is adjustable parameter). Maybe if one set the inverter's low voltage shutoff voltage slightly lower, then it would trigger the dry contact on warning voltage, start the generator, then when the inverter hits low voltage shutdown (goes into bypass, and places the load on the generator).

Maybe you could toy with it and if you figure it out you could report back the recipe? Or just bail and do manual generator startup...

Back