diy solar

diy solar

6V DC battery system - options

JHovel

I'd like to find a DC to DC converter option to output 12V from a 6V battery - and charge it from a 12V charge controller too. The battery is 625AH and I can't find another similar battery to make it a 12V system. I'd like to draw out and charge with 12V ~10A. Anyone here know of any DC-DC converters that will work with 5V and give that sort of current? I can't seem to find any....

I'd like to find a DC to DC converter option to output 12V from a 6V battery - and charge it from a 12V charge controller too. The battery is 625AH and I can't find another similar battery to make it a 12V system. I'd like to draw out and charge with 12V ~10A. Anyone here know of any DC-DC converters that will work with 5V and give that sort of current? I can't seem to find any....

Out should be easy with a DC-DC step up, in might be more difficult as the 6v battery needs an appropriate charge profile

Thanks. I've had trouble finding appropriately sized DC-DC boot converters. Hence the question.
Found one today with 12V 15A output from 5-11V in. I'll report the outcome when I get it.
Next question: can I use two DC-DC boost converters in parallel to get 30A 12V output?
Charging the 6V batteries is going to be an interesting exercise too, as you mentioned. I might have to experiment a bit with an MPPT and some kind of voltage divider (set the charge controller for 12V and halve the output).
The battery is 5 massive vented wet Ni-Cd cells.That's 4kWhr. Fully charged (as they are now), they should allow me to keep my shed lights going continuously for 2 and a half months.... :)

Back