diy solar

diy solar

Looking for 48v dc light switch

update, i think i found solution. since my plan all along was to string together 12v led strips for a total of 48v, i could wire the switch in the middle so that it will be at 24v. that would allow me to use common off the shelf [aka amazon] switches since many are rated at 24v usually at 5 amp.
Neither of those assumptions are true.

Unless the startup and operating currents are identical, the voltage across the strips will be different. Depending on the mismatch and voltage response, you could have interesting failure modes. Test this and measure voltages!

When the switch is off, there will be 48V across it, no matter where you put it in the series circuit. You might as well say you can switch the ground lead because the voltage is zero.

Neither of those assumptions are true.

Unless the startup and operating currents are identical, the voltage across the strips will be different. Depending on the mismatch and voltage response, you could have interesting failure modes. Test this and measure voltages!

When the switch is off, there will be 48V across it, no matter where you put it in the series circuit. You might as well say you can switch the ground lead because the voltage is zero.
possibly there might be 48v at start up but at the half way point it will 24v, which is fine.

You are over thing and under thinking this. The differential voltage will be the same no matter where you put the switch. If those string lights are just the resistor and LED type in series, the differential voltage will be less than 20V.

Back