diy solar

diy solar

DC rated switches

Andrewr05

[Replicant 42069]
So, lots of people have off grid cabins and presumably some of you have all DC lighting.
What are you using for switches?

Until recently and I knew better I had just been using normal interior 120Vac wall switches. But it had only ever been switching 12Vdc at presumably low amperage and literally the same light switch has been in the same spot controlling a set of exterior 12v car lights for nearly 20 years.
and another one used for another switch used for another 12v car light used as an interior light.

Also mind you this was all run over like 14ga romex wiring as well 💁🏻‍♀️🤣
So all in all just done all around wrong and "dangerous".

Maybe I've just gotten lucky?

Now we've got plans to add more modern lighting and lots more of them.
We recently added an addition to the cabin as well.
So we need more wire runs and more light and more switch panels.

Any interior switches that I have seen that look like a standard 120v interior wall switch but that are actually rated for DC only say 24Vdc 3 Amps.

So, what are y'all using for switches?

For a 12v DC system you're not doing anything dangerous with a standard 120v AC switch. Perhaps unconventional but not in danger of breaking anything.

It gets harder at higher DC voltages because you start having arcing concerns.

For a 12v DC system you're not doing anything dangerous with a standard 120v AC switch. Perhaps unconventional but not in danger of breaking anything.

It gets harder at higher DC voltages because you start having arcing concerns.
That's kind of what I figured, it may not be "in-spec" but it's not overloading anything.

Although I do plan on having a few high amp outdoor flood style lights, but for the most part it will all be switches for strong lighting.

Can I have some group consensus on this?

Look what I found. 24 volt DC.

Back