diy solar

diy solar

8 Pylontech batteries, double stacking 2 banks of 4, or single stacking 4 banks of 2?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
I've got 8 x US5000, 4 long positive cables, and 4 long negative cables (same lengths in either scenario). The question is where to put those cables in the battery bank. The network cables will talk to the system and treat it as one big battery bank of 8 regardless, from what I understand, but I have some questions on differences in electricity flow between the two options.

The 2 banks of 4 is an option I've seen some do, also referred to as "double stacking." The questions I have on this option, what about the two batteries in the middle of each stack, will they get unbalanced since the current goes to the top and bottom batteries first? Also, does this drive a bigger circuit breaker/fuse for the cables because there are 4 batteries that can deliver short circuit current rather than the other option which would be limited to only 2 batteries providing current per set of cables? The manual says each battery has a short current/duration time of <2000A/1ms.

2 of 4.png4 of 2.png

Last edited:
As far as the battery balancing, I would think the batteries in the middle of the 2 banks of 4 would tend to be slightly undercharged? According to the Wiring Unlimited Guide that Victron puts out on how to wire up batteries in parallel:

parallel_issues.jpeg
And so they recommend doing it one of these ways:

parallel_wiring.jpeg

Back