diy solar

diy solar

8 year old forklift batteries?

Jetgo

Found a 48v 680ah forklift battery pack for $830. It's 8 years old, all cells measure close to 2v, wasn't able to test with hygrometer, but fluid levels are all good. Would you guys take a gamble on them for an off grid solar setup? It weighs 2765lbs and would be a bit of a pain to move, but I can do it. I could always scrap it for $415 so it's not a huge gamble, but still I might be better off going Lifepo4, although I couldn't afford nearly as much capacity. How much capacity do you all think they'd have left? I could only do 50% DOD right?
Thanks for any input.

You could use them however you like down to 80% dod. They will last longer if you use 20% to 50%.

A load test and hydrometer test should be done. There is no telling the use or abuse they endured, but if the plates look good amd they test out for sg and will absorb evenly to full or acceptable full per sg. reading, they will serve even if at 80% of their original capacity.

650Ah even if done with golf car batteries, 3 strings of 220Ah cells, would be upwards of 3500$ to assemble, shelve and cable up.

You may need lugs and a couple cables to connect the fork lift battery, they are reusable so, id say 450$ and some sweat equity is well worth it to squeeze them for what you can get.
especially if your home only needs 15Ah to 20Ah over night or 50 or so Ah/day from the battery.

I doubt the steel case is available new for 450$! Bonus....

Used fork lift batteries are usually rode hard and put up wet but some brands do better than others.

Used fork lift batteries are usually rode hard and put up wet but some brands do better than others.
Some batteries will have been in float for a week or more at a time and used for an hour then hung back up.

Most trucks will get new batteries when they wont do it anymore.... but some will be ok because they could only do what was being asked of them at 80-90% of original capacity. This kicks them to the curb and the battery at 65 or 70% of rating might easily power a home at a much lower power and cycle demand than a worked machine.

I would look for the cleanest tops and most pristine teminals. Neutralizer residue, corroded or abraided terminals with melt marks, and tops wet or crusty with evaporated off electrolyte salts are tell tale of abuse. Hydrometer and load testing along with an inspection for heavy sediment, sulfation, foriegn material or other contamination like that neutralizer or terminal protectants, etc. If they check out, weigh the value of several years worth of storage at that cost versus 4-6k$ to do new and with not likely as heavy duty a battery.

I would add: internal losses (self discharge) are going to be quite a bit higher which reduces recharge efficiency and capacity.

I
Some batteries will have been in float for a week or more at a time and used for an hour then hung back up.

Most trucks will get new batteries when they wont do it anymore.... but some will be ok because they could only do what was being asked of them at 80-90% of original capacity. This kicks them to the curb and the battery at 65 or 70% of rating might easily power a home at a much lower power and cycle demand than a worked machine.

I would look for the cleanest tops and most pristine teminals. Neutralizer residue, corroded or abraided terminals with melt marks, and tops wet or crusty with evaporated off electrolyte salts are tell tale of abuse. Hydrometer and load testing along with an inspection for heavy sediment, sulfation, foriegn material or other contamination like that neutralizer or terminal protectants, etc. If they check out, weigh the value of several years worth of storage at that cost versus 4-6k$ to do new and with not likely as heavy duty a battery.

I have had great used batteries but mostly have suffered under limpy ones so i use new unless there was a killer value in something like what you are considering, especially if it was floated for two or three years and changed out on a maintenance cycle.

Some of the most long lived and abused batteries i have were used, sat for a year uncharged before i got them, one had melty terminals! Under charged, then i got them amd pumped and dumped them regularly loaned them out full amd got them back dead, all that, one is a backup and auxilliary for my home now, at 9 years in service to me. Alpha gell cell..... it wont run at full capacity but keeps all except the well and washing machine operable in the event of main inverter failure or an inverter disconnection for addition or other maintenance without having a generator onsite. It was the radio station and entertainment system power storage, but will not run a movie weekend under low sun anymore, so lights amd comms backup iswhere its at now.

Before that it was one of the main house batteries, 3 years ago.... and before that it was for special projects off grid. They were well worth their free price tag!

Back