diy solar

diy solar

80A Solenoid on 24V System?

LivingTheDream

Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to figure out how to wire an 80A 12VDC solenoid for a Lippert RV leveling system. I'm switching to 24V and have the step down converter for everything else. However, that is only a 40A converter and I don't see how it can run an 80A with 2 Gauge wire. The fuse says 80A and 30VDC, but the solenoid says 12VDC. TYIA.
Brian

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.19.03 AM.pngWiring Diagram.png

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to figure out how to wire an 80A 12VDC solenoid for a Lippert RV leveling system. I'm switching to 24V and have the step down converter for everything else. However, that is only a 40A converter and I don't see how it can run an 80A with 2 Gauge wire. The fuse says 80A and 30VDC, but the solenoid says 12VDC. TYIA.
Brian

View attachment 50686View attachment 50690

@Lt.Dan is working on a similar challenge.

Right now you have a 12V hydraulic system in a coach that will be 24V.

So you either need a bigger 24V to 12V convertor or you need to convert the hydraulics to 24V.

If you just hookup the system to 24V it will pump real good for a very short period of time ;)

@Lt.Dan is working on a similar challenge.

Right now you have a 12V hydraulic system in a coach that will be 24V.

So you either need a bigger 24V to 12V convertor or you need to convert the hydraulics to 24V.

If you just hookup the system to 24V it will pump real good for a very short period of time ;)
And I just checked with my clamp meter. 58 amps with the slides going in, 38 amps going out. But when the slides fully extend and pressure spikes, I saw 125 amps. Couldve been more if the refresh rate was faster on the screen.

Can we see the spec sheet of this Contactor?
The contactor coil is rated at 12VDC and the contacts can handle 80A, right?

Similar to this the one?

Yes, that is the one.

And I just checked with my clamp meter. 58 amps with the slides going in, 38 amps going out. But when the slides fully extend and pressure spikes, I saw 125 amps. Couldve been more if the refresh rate was faster on the screen.
How does that work if the manual breaker is an 80A? My smaller slides are cable driven and the main slide is gear driven, so I guessed this was to power the leveling system, but I’m not exactly sure. I’ll start searching for a larger converter. Ugh.

Back