diy solar

diy solar

9k BTU Heat Pump Advice

Smaller btu mini-splits operating on 120vac often have high peak current crest factor with poor power factor which is not good for running from a battery powered inverter.
Could you expand on this? I'm fully off-grid and depend on my inverter (Schneider SW4024), obviously. This summer I installed a 12K Pioneer 120 AC inverter model. What possible harm can I do to my inverter? What can I do to mitigate any harm?

Could you expand on this? I'm fully off-grid and depend on my inverter (Schneider SW4024), obviously. This summer I installed a 12K Pioneer 120 AC inverter model. What possible harm can I do to my inverter? What can I do to mitigate any harm?
Is that because the unit is "under powered" and pushing it past its' efficiency factors?

Is that because the unit is "under powered" and pushing it past its' efficiency factors?
I don't believe I'm pushing the mini-split at all. It only heats/cools the main room in our house and has only remained at full power briefly on start-up. It's actually been a great substitution for the 12K window shaker it replaced. I've tracked its wattage over the previous summer and this winter and it does what it was advertised to do. The window a/c went gangbusters from the moment it started til it was shut down.

A 120vac unit of at least 12k btu likely has power supply filter inductor between rectifier and filter capacitor, giving it a reduced (but still high) peak current and a power factor of about 0.8.

Without the inductor a 12kbtu 120vac unit will likely trip a 15 amp circuit breaker. In U.S. this is the reason they are included, not because it improves power factor which is a don't care for most states residential service.

Some mini-splits, like Misubishi, have the electronic power factor correction circuitry with >0.95 PF and low peak current crest factor. This is required for mini-splits sold into EU which has residential power factor regulations.

Full Wave rectified Power Factor diagram.png
Power supply filter choke
Mini Split AC PF choke.jpg

Back