diy solar

diy solar

A device that records max voltage?

What is the float voltage? That would be even lower around 26.8? Seems odd to get to 30+ in just a couple seconds while floating.
Have you contacted epever?

Quick google search indicates this is a general problem with this controller.

Cloud edge effect or large change in load will effect the charging voltage and the MPPT is too slow to adjust. Seems like poor voltage regulation in general to me. I would reduce the float voltage for testing. With a charge limit of 28.8 the controller should never go above that voltage.

I recommend Morningstar controllers if you are spending money.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=40172&page=2

I have seen over voltage issues from a inverter on a system with a epever charge controller. It took a while to figure it out but on a day with partial clouds the cloud effect was causing the voltage to get above 15 volts. The charge controller just doesn't sample the voltages fast enough to respond to the cloud effect and can take seconds to recognize that the battery voltage has changed. The delay can be seen both in cloud effect and when a heavy load is applied. The inverters remote panel showed the difference in voltage a few seconds before the charge controller did.

Due to this I no longer suggest epever as a low cost alternative in my designs. Especially those with Lithium batteries that are not going to appreciate high voltage.

Yep, everything that Jimindenver said. I had two different Epever controllers and both did the same thing, allowing a voltage spike over the 15.6 volt input limit on my inverter and triggering its high voltage protection and alarm. The second controller was that BN4215. Happened with the cloud effect and also while driving when trees would momentarily shade the panels, also pulling out from under gas station canopies. Constantly having to stop to restart the inverter. The worst was taking off on a long hike or bike ride and returning hours later to hear that alarm and find the inverter shut down so the refrigerator lost power. I switched to Victron mppt 2 1/2 years ago, never had another problem. I had other issues with those Tracer/Epever controllers but that's another topic.

Last edited:
27.6v, One would think it shouldn't go above 28.8v. No I haven't contacted Epever.

Thanks for the recommendation and the link, I see post #13 is describing the extact same issue I'm having.

Getting a few answers which are directed towards lifepo4. I have a 24v AGM bank and my controllers are paneled to (at most) 50% of their capacity well within voltage specs.

The spiking ONLY occurs during FLOAT the instant after a cloud is blown aside and the panels get a cop full load of sunshine which makes me think the controllers are not keeping up with sudden increase in available PV power.

I like the idea of separating the controllers from the common buss bars and giving them their own cabling route to the batteries to see if it absorbs any spiking.

My inverter has a 30v shut off. The battery meter I have recovers at about 29.5v and quickly ticks back down to the float voltage of 27.6v and the inverter restarts. This could be because the inverter is wired 30cm from the controllers via the buss bars which would be similar to a single box unit I guess.
Thats why i was wondering if you had a battery that was hitting an overcharge situation before the others did. I also have a 24 volt system. When one or 2 batteries out of six would take off and go crazy in volts, i am wondering if that is where it is cutting off. I have monitors on each battery when i top balanced. It was weird, all the sudden one or two would jump from 14 to like 16 plus volts until either the solar cut off or the bms on the battery shut it down. Once i finally got them balanced everything was fine.

So a cheap SCC with poor transient performance? Maybe a higher quality SCC will be the easiest solution.

I don’t think moving distance of the inverter to the bus bars/SCC battery will help you much.

Can you check all batteries for proper connections/redo the connections with dielectric grease.

Do you have any shunts in the system? The added impedance of a shunt may help out as well.

So a cheap SCC with poor transient performance? Maybe a higher quality SCC will be the easiest solution.

Do you have any shunts in the system? The added impedance of a shunt may help out as well.

At the time of buying (2yrs ago), an Epever Tracer 4210AN was regarded as good quality and it wasn't cheap ($200aud). I'm thinking Victron from now on, plus I like their adaptive tail current feature.

No shunts yet, might add one to the list :)

Th
I don't know about the Epever, but my Morningstar has the ability to do some internal data logging. Is that a possibility?
The epever AN40 at least has pretty decent logging and displays as a graph

Getting the software functional is a known issue that sometimes comes up. I’m not finding it right now but I have a thread where a helpful person detailed the steps and parameters required to get the software functioning for logging. Maybe your search terms will be different and you can locate that info.

I found a good video on youtube for setting up the software

Just an update, so far I've put the MPPT's on their own rail direct to the battery and have been playing music flat out everyday (to monitor the situation) and have had no inverter restarts so far. I have left my PWM on the inverter rail for experimentation for now.

I did not see where any of the following concerns were addressed. Could an oversight on one if these issues have been the culprit?

The manual has a CAUTION on page 18 about Lithium battery types.
The manual has a warning on page 19 about BMS limitations. Is it possible there was a conflict between the BMS and the controller?
The manual states "①When a lithium battery is used, the system voltage can’t be identified automatically", on page 26.

EDIT: Thanks Bud, my mistake

Last edited:
I did not see where any of the following concerns were addressed. Could an oversight on one if these issues have been the culprit?

The manual has a warning on page 19 about BMS limitations. Is it possible there was a conflict between the BMS and the controller?
The manual states "①When a lithium battery is used, the system voltage can’t be identified automatically", on page 26.

Manual from your link:

'The manual has a warning on page 19 about BMS limitations.'
I do not see that on page 19. There is no communication between SCC and the battery BMS so I cannot see why there will be any conflict.

Page #26

①When a lead-acid battery is used, the controller hasn‟t the low temperature protection.
Notes#1: is related to System nominal voltage.
②At minimum operating environment temperature
③At 25℃ environment temperature
④When a lithium-ion battery is used, the system voltage can‟t be identified automatically.
Notes #4 is for Temperature compensate coefficient④

Last edited:
Manual from your link:

The manual has a warning on page 19 about BMS limitations.
I do not see that on page 19. There is no communication between SCC and the battery BMS so I cannot see why that will be any conflict.

Page #26

①When a lead-acid battery is used, the controller hasn‟t the low temperature protection.
Notes#1: is related to System nominal voltage.
②At minimum operating environment temperature
③At 25℃ environment temperature
④When a lithium-ion battery is used, the system voltage can‟t be identified automatically.
Notes #4 is for Temperature compensate coefficient④
Good call Bud. (y)

How lost am I?
"system voltage can't be identified automatically"
In my mind (a very confusing place) that means when connecting the batteries to the controller, the controller does not know if it is connected to 12volts or 24 volts.

Good call Bud. (y)

How lost am I?
"system voltage can't be identified automatically"
In my mind (a very confusing place) that means when connecting the batteries to the controller, the controller does not know if it is connected to 12volts or 24 volts.
Based on page 17, I believe if the EPVER in Auto Voltage detect mode, it it sees the feeding Voltage <17V it will set the system as 12V system, if it sees > 18V it will set up as 24V system.

EDIT: Thanks Bud, my mistake
Reads mine just fine.

Reads mine just fine.
Yep, that's what I've heard, the same good news from others as well.
I'm the one who keeps pointing out this issue, that doesn't exist. I will turn on my new unit and be the only one on the planet with an Epever that doesn't know what voltage it's dealing with. ?

With lithium- just verify correct voltage and manually set it.

Low temp lithium?
Menus-08A8BBAC-6679-4767-B39E-AD9498FF30AE.jpeg

I recently retired my Epever Tracers and converted to Victron also using a battery sense module to synchronize the controllers and was pleasantly surprised to see that the VictronConnect app records the daily min/max battery voltages for 30 days.

Back