diy solar

diy solar

A thread on battery carts.

AmpD

So I’ve seen a few “cart”, “hand truck”, garden wagon builds out there.

I thought I would try creating a thread to discuss the various models of conveyance they are built upon.

Heavy gauge plastic, metal, wood?
Custom lawnmower tires and rims?
Bargain price or gold plated?
Bling or functional additions that improved its repurposing.

Maybe post a link or a pic of yours and share it all in one spot? I did a search for cart and a lot of golfcart results came up.

I really liked the diy model with the counterbalance panel, sun tracker, and pretty wood trim.

Perhaps some discourse on convenient ways to hook it up to the panels or rest of the system.

Last edited:
There's a range of containers depending on the size of system you have in mind:
  • Small - tool/ammunition box
  • Medium - wheeled suitcase or tool pack out
  • Large - utility/cargo trailer with hitch and built-in panels
Take your pick.

Also, you can DIY from scratch, or buy a power box and add your own solar panels.

I was thinking this model for myself. It had ample room and weight allowance for 4x200 ah 24v batts ((20”x10” footprint each)

Mostly curious on what everyone is doing and see what ideas pop out.

Last edited:
That seems expensive to me. $300 gets you fat tires for sand and 4 fishing rod holders for ??
I just made a small hobby system in a tool box (see link in my sig). I know ammunition boxes are popular, very rugged and good for Small systems.
Edit: A hand truck or furniture dolly would also work. But, for medium size systems, I like the look of the tool packouts - some have wheels, handles, and even multiple layered boxes!

Last edited:
That seems expensive to me. $300 gets you fat tires for sand and 4 fishing rod holders for ??
I just made a small hobby system in a tool box (see link in my sig). I know ammunition boxes are popular, very rugged and good for Small systems.
Edit: A hand truck or furniture dolly would also work. But, for medium size systems, I like the look of the tool packouts - some have wheels, handles, and even multiple layered boxes!
Packout wheeled toolbox fits three 12V "mini" 100Ahs
20240204_144801.jpg

I need one that can handle 16 280Ah cells and can be easily moved up and down stairs. :)

Do you run a 36v inverter on that?
No it was an experiment to see if I could use it as an extended battery via the mppt ports on my Delta 2 max. But the d2m doesn't like it, stops charging shortly after plugging in. So I may have to just go to 48V, and use a 48/1200 and then feed the d2m via AC which will also give me pass through.

Yeah I need to keep looking for sure. I realized after I posted that the inside dimensions are too small. I need something 21x42 minimal footprint. It also seems a bit misleading on review. It states 500lb weight limit but elsewhere documents 265. I want something that can handle at least 350lbs.

What attracted me to it originally was it seemed weather resistant. Also big balloon tires might go thru poor terrain a bit easier than say a food service cart. I also checked out a wen model that seemed pretty sweet for the price. Again the inside was just a tad too small for what I need.

Great to see the discussion progressing.

@Brucey Thanks for sharing the picture of your milwaukee box! Exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking to see in the thread!

@JJJJ Yours was the one I had remembered above. Nice concept design!

Last edited:
Can also do three minis in a packout crate, the cell terminals are a little too high to stack the crates. Maybe 3d print a little spacer? Though the crates don't interlock together anyway.20231003_134851.jpg20231003_134945.jpg

I think the Redodo's can run on their side, but im not sure which side.
Great point. Battery footprint is exactly what i was planning for. The redodo is wider and shorter and the litime is narrower and taller but measuring the case it takes up the same cubic volume.

Depending on how mobile you need it to be (meaning if you need it to be "off-road" mobile too or just indoor mobile like these are), you can also use A/V carts.

I have yet to see anyone else use one, but I use a similar one for my setup.

Attachments

• shopping (3).jpeg
    shopping (3).jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 8
Depending on how mobile you need it to be (meaning if you need it to be "off-road" mobile too or just indoor mobile like these are), you can also use A/V carts.

I have yet to see anyone else use one, but I use a similar one for my setup.
Nice how it has a security feature as well.

Back