diy solar

diy solar

Movable Solar panel cart

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
Last weekend I was lugging around a solar panel, trying to see what locations would provide good solar input. After lifting it for the xxx th time, I decided to make a cart, or dolly to move it around. It is not finished but I thought I would share progress as I go.

1680567676991.png

The panel is slightly counterbalanced making the bottom half slightly heavier. This enables a minimal amount of effort to swivel it up or down.

Currently I am feeding the input through a Morningstar charge controller I had laying around. It measures amps providing the AGM battery I am getting if it is not nearly charged:

1680567929907.png

I have eye hooks on the back and on the sides. The sides will enable to stake this down should I encounter any wind. The ones in the back allow a taunt line such as used with tents. I can adjust the tension and hold the panel at a multitude of tilt angles.

1680568113057.png

I went out and found an inexpensive line of sight monitor which enables me to set the orientation to south and tilt to best match the sun. Granted I could just use a pop can but this was more fun.

1680568298383.png

After trudging around the yard with this, I decided I need a better way of steering this. The 4 Harbor Freight wheels keep it stable, but lifting up the one end to steer it takes away the fun of moving it. I am exploring putting a trailer hitch jack with a pivot wheel. This will enable me to lift the front slightly and steer it more easily. When I get it to the desired spot, I will crank it down, back onto 4 wheels. I saw Harbor Freight carries these as well so may need to make another drive soon.

I currently have a fuse before the battery. I have purchased a small outdoor breaker box and will be putting my solar panel input through that and on to the battery.

As with many projects, the to-do list never ends. There are a few things I would like to address:

1. Provide it with a good coat of solid stain.
2. Clean up the taunt lines.
3. Dress up the solar lines to the breaker box and on the the battery. They are a jumble and take away from the neatness I would like to see.
4. Improve steering ability. So far the hitch idea is leading the way in the list of prospects.

And other tasks as I get through the list. Naturally this list will probably grow as I go along.

Last edited:
Just installed this handy device. Picked it up for a song from Harbor Freight. When in the down position, I can now steer the cart without picking it up. Admittedly it handles dry and firm ground the best.

1680952249403.png

Last edited:
Installed an in line breaker and cleaned up some wiring.

1680995565160.png

Last edited:
As an added bonus it fits in my shed. That was a happy coincidence.

1680995506722.png

Last edited:
Nicely done ! Next step is to motorize it ?.

Do you have a link to that line of sight thingy ?

Thnx. I just bought a new grill and want to use it where there's no power and was just starting to search around for ideas.

Well this spring looking to update this build to interface with another project:

1711443076650.jpeg

Back