diy solar

diy solar

About to pull the trigger on a EG4 3kW Off-Grid Inverter...any good/bad experiences you care to share since they hit the market?

BattleAxe

Off grid container build,

EG4 3kW Off-Grid Inverter + EG4-LifePower4 Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH | Server Rack Battery and an array of about 3,500 watts of panels I've yet to decide on.

Won't ever need more than about 2,000 watts at any given time and I have a back up generator for higher demands, and extra battery charging capacity

Anybody see any issues here...Might should have posted in beginners corner but anyway... I know those have EG4 AIO's have been out for a little while, just wondering if they're holding up, I watched the video that Will made and it seems like it should suit me just fine plus the price is right too.

Last edited:
According to Will's test, that unit had a very high self-consumption rate. IIRC, it was 66W. 66W * 24h = 1584Wh

1584/5120 = 31% of your battery capacity (single battery).

The first 300-400W of your array will go to feeding the inverter itself.

Even if the 66W is high, other models like this one run 40-50W. 45W * 24h = 1080Wh = 21% of your battery capacity and 200-300W of solar will be dedicated to feeding the unit.

Make sure you account for the 45-66W 24/7 load in your energy audit.

According to Will's test, that unit had a very high self-consumption rate. IIRC, it was 66W. 66W * 24h = 1584Wh

1584/5120 = 31% of your battery capacity (single battery).

The first 300-400W of your array will go to feeding the inverter itself.

Even if the 66W is high, other models like this one run 40-50W. 45W * 24h = 1080Wh = 21% of your battery capacity and 200-300W of solar will be dedicated to feeding the unit.

Make sure you account for the 45-66W 24/7 load in your energy audit.
Thanks Man!! I really appreciate your input...if you see my other thread in the beginners corner, maybe with what I'm considering I can tolerate that draw. Can you recommend a better AOI or set up for a similar price or for a newbie to deal with?? I've been trying to figure this out for a while and am getting closer all the time to ACTUALLY making a purchase. (HAHHA)

No. All AiO are high self-consumption. When you factor in the near $500 of battery and $100-200 of panels that are unsuable, they aren't as attractive as their price suggest, but you still come out ahead compared to the higher price of Tier-1 hardware.

No. All AiO are high self-consumption. When you factor in the near $500 of battery and $100-200 of panels that are unsuable, they aren't as attractive as their price suggest, but you still come out ahead compared to the higher price of Tier-1 hardware.
Sooooo...maybe a decent approach, not the dumbest thing ever??? OR maybe I should keep working at it? Would you say, a fair investment of $4K?

Sooooo...maybe a decent approach, not the dumbest thing ever??? OR maybe I should keep working at it? Would you say, a fair investment of $4K?

If you've done an energy audit, designed a system accordingly to satisfy your needs, and you're okay with spending $4K, then yes, but it's up to you.

Many folks don't take into consideration the continuous idle load, and then wonder why their system shut down prematurely after a couple of days of poor sunshine.

Back