diy solar

diy solar

Growatt and EG4 troubleshooting - great with solar, cuts out on battery

Panhandler

Hi all, my system cuts in and out at night and I'd like to solve it. Any help is appreciated. Here are the details:

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM ES connected to a EG4 Lifepower4 48v 100ah via 4awg wire and ethernet cable (inverter set to LI and protocol L01 so it talks to the battery). ~3,500 watts of panels. Battery is wired to a class T fuse to a battery switch to the inverter. Panels go to a combiner box (4 strings) then to a PV disconnect then to the inverter. Inverter feeds a main AC panel (completely off grid).

During the day the inverter is super solid and provides a consistent 119v-121v as long as there's sun. If I shut the panels off at the disconnect or the combiner box the inverter starts fluctuating in voltage output from 113v to 125v. With solar the inverter will run anything I want. Without it will trip when starting a corded circular saw. At night with a load of 40 to 200 watts the inverter will cease AC power production for 5 seconds, back on for 20, off for 5, and so on. After a full night the battery is at about 60%; it's not like we're running down the battery.

The inverter normally does not display an error message. The only times it has was "Low Bus Voltage", but the battery has never gone below 48v, much less to the low voltage cutoff of 46v.

I have updated the Growatt firmware from F2809_SK051.04_20210701 to F2809_SK051.05_20220104. I'm still getting the same problems. I do not have a battery communication cable (should be here next week). I do not have the Growatt monitoring software (anyone got a link?).

My failures: the system is not grounded, meaning no ground rod and we're off grid so no utility ground. On my list for today is to ground the AC panel ground to the metal well casing. Second, the EG4 alarm light is on. I believe it's from before the inverter and battery were linked for communication so the inverter pushed a little too much voltage. Battery appears to be working perfectly but I won't know the details until the battery com cables come in.

I'm at a loss. Anyone seen symptoms like this before? I'd love some suggestions to try before the battery com cable arrives in 10 days (shipping is slow here). Thanks for the help!

Just a quick thing to check is if you have any connection issues coming from the battery or inside your AIO. A recent post for a different AIO showed similar symptoms and it turned out to be a bad internal battery bus connection inside the unit. Seems the quality control was lacking from the factory.

Back