diy solar

diy solar

[EG4 + Schneider Conext] Help troubleshooting Alarm & Warnings Events

My 2 Cents.

Start Here (assuming you are having Cell OV issues) *BTW I have no idea how your equipment functions

If you still have Cell OV lower down to 54.5 for a few weeks.

1697500681435.png

1697500934810.png

I do not see any faults UNLESS I try to change battery type from Custom to Li-Ion. If I do it, then I get a "Battery Discharge Over Current" Fault, turning off the inverter.
Ok is a weird one. How many amps are you pulling from your batteries when you get that discharge over current fault?

Ok is a weird one. How many amps are you pulling from your batteries when you get that discharge over current fault?
The odd thing to me is, in previous screenshots, he shows the "device" for the battery BMS, and it showed online.. so, he's obviously got it hooked up, and detected them on the bus.

However, when he clicks on "Setup", the menu item on the left for "BMS Setup" isn't there in his screenshots. So it's almost like the insight is "confused" on if there is a BMS or not.

@Old_Skewler I hate to make this suggestion, but I've seen it resolve various other issues. So, I'd entertain documenting all of your custom settings in the insight device, and then doing a full factory reset. Before you do anyhing else: connect it to your network, and then go into the "detect devices" screen, and have it re-detect your BMS. I noticed in your last insight screenshot, you were on v1.17 firmware, but I think you'll want 1.18b41 because thats the one that understands the "Lifepower4" batteries.

Anyway, once you've re-detected your BMS, when you click "Setup" in the green banner bar, you should see "BMS Setup" appear under the "Smart energy manager" menu button. It may take a second or 3 to show up on that page afer you click "Setup"

If that shows up, then I'd proceed to reset all your other settings. If it doesn't, I think we'll want to troubleshoot that next.

Is there no advanced tab to click on when you go to your device. Like the inverter?

@Markus_EG4 I do have "Basic" and "Advanced" tabs under my InsightHome and all of the screenshots that I shared are from the Advanced tab.

You guys sells both SW & XW inverters, could you not double check on your end whether the SW 4048 should also have the same BMS Settings options when connected to a EG4 LP battery?

Last edited:

It doesn't matter if it is zero amps or 50W AC, which is our Starlink baseload. Regardless of the load, as soon as I set battery type to Li-Ion the inverter goes out on "Battery Discharge Over Current" Fault.

I then am forced to change it back to "Custom" battery type and reset the fault, so that inverter goes back on.

The odd thing to me is, in previous screenshots, he shows the "device" for the battery BMS, and it showed online.. so, he's obviously got it hooked up, and detected them on the bus.
Correct, the EG4 BMS is connected and shows under Device List, but nothing beyond.

@Old_Skewler I hate to make this suggestion, but I've seen it resolve various other issues. So, I'd entertain documenting all of your custom settings in the insight device, and then doing a full factory reset. Before you do anyhing else: connect it to your network, and then go into the "detect devices" screen, and have it re-detect your BMS. I noticed in your last insight screenshot, you were on v1.17 firmware, but I think you'll want 1.18b41 because thats the one that understands the "Lifepower4" batteries.
Well, you were right before about EG4 firmware fixing the balancing issues, so yes, I'll take the leap and try resetting the InsightHome device.

Anyway, once you've re-detected your BMS, when you click "Setup" in the green banner bar, you should see "BMS Setup" appear under the "Smart energy manager" menu button. It may take a second or 3 to show up on that page afer you click "Setup"

If that shows up, then I'd proceed to reset all your other settings. If it doesn't, I think we'll want to troubleshoot that next.
If you re-read this entire thread you'll see that I've been trying to get someone at SignatureSolar/EG4 to clarify whether these BMS settings should be applicable to my SW4048 + EG4 LP combo. I have not been able to get a straight answer on this. So I suspect this is what is missing here, a confirmation that this should also work with my package. I am afraid I am chasing my tail here.

Correct, the EG4 BMS is connected and shows under Device List, but nothing beyond.

Well, you were right before about EG4 firmware fixing the balancing issues, so yes, I'll take the leap and try resetting the InsightHome device.

If you re-read this entire thread you'll see that I've been trying to get someone at SignatureSolar/EG4 to clarify whether these BMS settings should be applicable to my SW4048 + EG4 LP combo. I have not been able to get a straight answer on this. So I suspect this is what is missing here, a confirmation that this should also work with my package. I am afraid I am chasing my tail here.

I can't speak on behalf of eg4 or signature solar.. and also, I don't have the SW (I'm an XW Pro based environment here) so grain of salt here:

I don't think the menu options would be different.. as the BMS settings are more for configuring solar charge controllers and things of that nature.. so I'd suspect they'd show up regardless of what inverter you were using.

It's not exactly the *inverter* that is integrating to the BMS.. it's the insight home that is commanding the inverter to "do stuff" in response to the state of the BMS communications. so the integration is BMS to insight. from there, it's just the insight acting as the brains/logic gate to other devices.

The fact that "BMS Setup" doesn't show up under your setup screen seems pretty suspect to me. But as I said, I've got zero experience with the SW hardware, and I may be making some bad assumptions. But just based on my understanding of the Schneider ecosystem, I have a relatively decent confidence level on this.

@Old_Skewler
Just curious if resetting the insight to factory defaults resolved the issue where the BMS setup screen isn't showing up?

@Old_Skewler
Just curious if resetting the insight to factory defaults resolved the issue where the BMS setup screen isn't showing up?

Nope, restarting the gateway didn't change anything other than the order of the devices in the screen. Still no BMS Setup screen showing up.

@Markus_EG4 were you able to clarify internally whether the SW 4048 should also have the same BMS Settings options when connected to a EG4 LP battery? Any updates from your end?

TIA

Nope, restarting the gateway didn't change anything other than the order of the devices in the screen. Still no BMS Setup screen showing up.

@Markus_EG4 were you able to clarify internally whether the SW 4048 should also have the same BMS Settings options when connected to a EG4 LP battery? Any updates from your end?

TIA
@Old_Skewler Just wanting to make sure we're on the same page.

I mentioned resetting the insight to factory default settings. You mentioned restarting it, which is different.

How did you restart it, can you clarify what steps you took?

@Old_Skewler Just wanting to make sure we're on the same page.

I mentioned resetting the insight to factory default settings. You mentioned restarting it, which is different.

How did you restart it, can you clarify what steps you took?

Just language. I did a hard reset and had to reconfigure my entire system, field by field.

Back