diy solar

diy solar

AC coupling my Outback Skybox to a Solaredge inverter

I assume this is a feature of both Schneider and Outback?
I would call it a feature of any bidirectional inverter. My definition of bidirectional assumes pass through functionality. I have DC coupled solar as well as AC coupled solar connected to the hybrid.
I did have a question based on an earlier statement you made about throttling your EVSE. How are you doing that?

Last edited:
I would call it a feature of any bidirectional inverter. My definition of bidirectional assumes pass through functionality. I have DC coupled solar as well as AC coupled solar connected to the hybrid.
I did have a question based on an earlier statement you made about throttling your EVSE. How are you doing that?
I am not doing it yet. Have an old charging station I bought in 2017 which I will replace soon with one of these below.

Option 1: Emporia EV charger paired with the Emporia Vue (a power consumption monitor - there is a more expensive version that has 18 CT's o plug in directly to your loads/MSP panel). I didn't go deep enough on this one but basically you have either some exposed API's to regulate how much power the EVSE consumes and you can tap into those with your own logic (lots of repositories in github) or configure in the Emporia App how much to charge (e.g. limit charge to the net consumption)

Option 2: OpenEV Store - All Products (openevse.com) and this github repository. You can use MQTT to talk to it. You will need to be more hands on and build/host the logic for managing this one. You can run everything from a Raspberry Pi though. The Github has everything you need to know to build a custom charging station.

Both are capable of charging up to 48A. If you have enough solar, that's a nice option.
Basically, you just plug in your EV and the EVSE will release power according to the solar production / net consumption (solar production - load amount).

If you have enough solar panels, I guess you don't have to worry too much about this feature, but I have 6kw and my EVSE consumes 9kW, so 3 is always taken out from the grid.

That Emporia Vue and Emporia EVSE combo does most of what I do with raspberry pi and some open source software from GitHub. I'm sure that option is much more polished. It sure does look nice.

That Emporia Vue and Emporia EVSE combo does most of what I do with raspberry pi and some open source software from GitHub. I'm sure that option is much more polished. It sure does look nice.
Hey, do you have a S
I am still not sold on the Sol-Ark. Their feature set looks great, and the software looks pretty good, but it just seems a bit finicky. I was truly annoyed at my Schneider when I realized it can't function AC coupled on it's own, but now that I did get the PLC working to run it, I can't be happier. Thanks to Hurricane Kay, we have had spotty to heavy clouds for a few days, even got some rain up here. Solar production was all over the place. My PLC watches the solar input and the house loads and adjusts the battery charge current every 5 seconds. So it ends up looking like this.
View attachment 111631
The green trace is the charge current, following the extra solar as it changes from the clouds going by, and the loads being used in the house. Since we had really poor solar production last night, I did have it charging at just 11.5 amps all night until 6 am. Then it started to run the house, drawing 11.8 amps before the sun came up. As the sun rose, the battery current dropped until the solar was enough to start charging at 8:40 am. Then it was grabbing all the energy it could. Since it is on the cheap power time, if the solar dropped way low, or the loads get too high, it drops to just 7 amps of charge current, the minimum I can command, but I leave it charge and let the loads use some grid power. It is a little cooler, so the A/C did not run as much today. Looks like it started up before 1 pm and ran almost 2 hours. I see that because of the charge current staying at minimum most of that time, but the solar didn't do great either, could have been clouds too. After 4 pm, I use battery power to eliminate using any grid power. The A/C cam on again at about 3:45. but at 4 pm, I stop charging, and the batteries supplied all the power the solar could not to keep my A/.C running. In the 5 to 6 pm hour, you can see the battery current ramping up as the solar production is falling off. It got to almost 57 amps at the battery before the A/C cycled off again. Solar was still making enough to run the house (with the A/C off) until after 6 pm where you once again see the battery current ramping up to run all my loads.

It looks like I managed to store up enough today to make it well past the 9 pm end of the peak rate time. One of the great features of the XW-Pro is that it powers the output loads, AND will also push additional current back to the main panel, while it is fully grid code compliant. All of my solar is currently AC coupled Enphase installed in the output backup loads panel. The XW-Pro does frequency shifting to reduce solar production while off grid, not just when the batteries are full, but to also limit charge current if needed.

The Schneider software still has limitations and some odd issues, so it is not perfect. It really should not need a PLC to make it do this. But my little PLC only cost about $300, but it did take me a while to figure out the programming, and I still want to add a few features. Until I see something that can do the power time shifting as good as I can now with the PLC, I think this is about as good as it gets. The sad part is you need to be a programmer to do it.

SunPower is now selling their SunVault battery storage system, and they are also using a Schneider XW-Pro, with their own controller to make it act properly with AC coupling. A Pwerwall2 comes close, but no dealer near me would install one with my existing Enphase Solar. And they would not just sell me a unit either. The Panasonic and Generac system look pretty good, but they are pricey.

I have yet to find a decent video testing the Outback Mojave system. I am hoping it can do good energy time shifting.
This is great and very useful info. I am slowly leaning towards the Schneider XW Pro. Very cost effective and the ecosystem is great: PDP (oh, I would get one of this), Battery Monitor, Gateway...

I tried reading through documentation I found on Schneider XW Pro and AC coupling and couldn't find ways to have the setup I have in mind. AC coupling seems to be supported but limited. E.g. I couldn't find a configuration for Self-Supply in this manual.

Can I ask you how a few more questions on the Schneider?
- How does the unit expose data to be consumed? ie, in a Home Automation, Grafana, etc. With the Schneider Gateway?
- If you know there is a planned power cut, how do you configure the system to grid only, saving battery?
- Would you recommend using the Conext Battery Monitor to interface with LiFePo4 DIY battery?
- If you didn't have the PLC, how would the system have behaved?
- How do you like the configuration interface?

Hey, do you have a S

This is great and very useful info. I am slowly leaning towards the Schneider XW Pro. Very cost effective and the ecosystem is great: PDP (oh, I would get one of this), Battery Monitor, Gateway...

I tried reading through documentation I found on Schneider XW Pro and AC coupling and couldn't find ways to have the setup I have in mind. AC coupling seems to be supported but limited. E.g. I couldn't find a configuration for Self-Supply in this manual.

Can I ask you how a few more questions on the Schneider?
- How does the unit expose data to be consumed? ie, in a Home Automation, Grafana, etc. With the Schneider Gateway?
- If you know there is a planned power cut, how do you configure the system to grid only, saving battery?
- Would you recommend using the Conext Battery Monitor to interface with LiFePo4 DIY battery?
- If you didn't have the PLC, how would the system have behaved?
- How do you like the configuration interface?
The "Self Consumption" and "Time of Use shifting" are the issues we had to work around with an external controller. Without the PLC, I had to manually command the Bulk Charge every morning. That may be a deal breaker for some. You will need to be a bit computer savvy to make it work with just AC coupling. We have been trying to get Schneider to add "Smart Charge" to the XW-Pro, but no luck yet. If you want to go with the PLC I am using, I would give you my code. It is not perfect yet, and I am still thinking about adding some features and a work around for bad weather, low solar production. You will need to adjust network settings. One feature I have not set up yet is the grid fail detect. I am waiting until I get the firmware updated as Schneider did fix a few things on their side. But I have a relay that will close a contact to the PLC when the grid voltage drops. When that happens, I will change the charging settings to pack more into the battery while the sun is up, and also let it run down lower while still saving enough for a manual restart. Maybe setup the PLC to even send the restart command once the sun is up again. Having the PLC opens tons of options, but we have to code it in Basic. 40bird is running his in Python on a Raspberry Pi.

Most of the power use data is al readable in registers from Modbus. I am only using the Schneider local gateway though. 40bird is using his Pi o pas data to Grafana.

Right now I don't have a built in feature to store more to battery, but a few times, I have just unplugged my PLC, and set a fixed charge current to top it up from grid + solar power. I do have another input pin left on the PLC, I could use that, or just click on the PLC UI and set a store power mode in case of a grid outage. In the Schneider configuration, you could just turn of the grid support etc. and it will charge up and wait.

I am currently running Li NMC batteries from a Chevy Bolt. NMC cells have a nearly linear voltage to state of charge curve, it just has a little knee near 50% charge. But even on the slower slope side, it is plenty to work well with just the voltage control in the XW-Pro. Li LFP is a different story. If (when) I go to LFP cells, I will either have a compatible BMS or a Schneider Battery Monitor. This is because the voltage stays so flat across the charge curve. It is nearly impossible to tell the difference between 30% and 55% state of charge. In my setup, I try to always keep close to 50% available incase there is a grid power failure at night. That would be very tough without a good battery SOC counter that the XW can read.

Before I got the PLC working, I was pretty upset at the AC coupling limitations. If you are going AC only, you need a controller of some kind to get around that.

The Schneider user interface has a few minor quirks, but it is better than many others I have tried to use. I might update this when I get it up to the newer firmware.

Back