diy solar

diy solar

AC/DC Asymetric Inverter Hotspot energy

Seumas

During my search for some type of AC unit that could run completely on solar I found many but most were overseas and nothing being sold here in the states until I came across Hotspot Energy and their hybrid mini split. This of course was before Signature Solar started selling the EG4 solar mini splits. But Hotspot Energy wanted over 2k for a 12k btu unit and I said aww hell no. Then Signature Solar started selling them and at 1299.00 I got 4 lol but Hotspot Energy did have this cool device which I can only assume is similar to the inverter system that is in the EG4 solar mini splits. It basically takes solar and lets you power any 120 or 240 A/C appliance with solar and grid as backup. But again they wanted like 1800.00 for just the 120 volt one, way too much, has anyone seen something similar for sale? I've been looking and searching online with no luck. I wish EG4 (Deye) would make this product lol

So it's a zero export micro inverter.
That can sometimes work without the grid. (If the load is small enough)
This could be handy sometimes.

I think this needs more attention. Isn’t this the answer for all of us who have struggled with the Enphase silliness?

No price on website.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a shed with no power that could use a small amount of dehumidifying, cooling, heating.
I think that you would be better off with a battery and a SCC. The power would be much more consistent.

Oddly enough, I'm in the middle of installing my HotSpot unit, right now. lol

I think that you would be better off with a battery and a SCC. The power would be much more consistent.
I'm lazy and don't want to run power to the shed just to have an occasional light and maybe some humidity control. That's why after 10m years it stil has no power. The shed was originally built as a small office/beauty shop and has good insulation. I would be OK if the thing only ran when the sun shines. I have researched the Hotspot a little, but it might be more than I want to spend for a shed.

I'm lazy and don't want to run power to the shed just to have an occasional light and maybe some humidity control. That's why after 10m years it stil has no power. The shed was originally built as a small office/beauty shop and has good insulation. I would be OK if the thing only ran when the sun shines. I have researched the Hotspot a little, but it might be more than I want to spend for a shed.
HotSpot offers a complete kit with solar panels and battery. Although, it is very expensive.
Usually, lights are needed at night. That won't happen without some kind of battery.
But, if you think that the unit above will fill your needs. Then, you are the customer they designed it for.

I think this needs more attention. Isn’t this the answer for all of us who have struggled with the Enphase silliness?

No price on website.
I had called them and spoke with Matt at Hotspot Energy, very nice ppl but their products are way over priced for example for a 18k btu solar hybrid mini split delivered I got quoted $2329.35 exactly, and then later EG4 came out with their 12k btu mini split for $1299.00, so I bought 4 of those bad boys. It came to about a $600 or so dollar difference but for the $5196.00 I got 48k btu's from the EG4's and just 2 of the hotspots would have been $4600.00 or so and 36k btu's. While on the phone I inquired about the AC/DC inverter and they told me around $1800.00 for the 120 volt model. Bit pricey for just the inverter imho.

Wouldn’t this micro allow one to run panels on the roof to supplement an traditional battery/inverter system, but without any of the danger of high voltage DC?

Wouldn’t this micro allow one to run panels on the roof to supplement an traditional battery/inverter system, but without any of the danger of high voltage DC?
I could see their 240 volt unit being useful to supplement a central A/C. My place has a 5 ton energy eating monster unit which I now have shut off and I'm using the 4 12k btu solar minisplits to cool my home, but even if I had my house powered with solar and batteries (which I do just haven't finished the installation) something like this I would use to supplement it during the day when it would be used the most. My 5 ton system uses 5k watts when running, that's a serious draw for one appliance for a 13k watt inverter. Better to supplement with a few extra panels so your system can use more of your solar for charging batteries during the day when the A/C will be drawing the most power and when you need to charge your batteries. Or supplement your 240v well pump, water heater, etc etc. This inverter is made to power just one appliance thus making any appliance able to be powered by solar. It basically works like the inverter in a solar mini split, wire it to panels and to an AC source and when the panels are not getting enough sunlight like when a cloud passes over it will automatically draw what it needs from the AC source until the panels can provide again. Something like this could be so useful if it wasn't so expensive.

i am just replacing my 3rd of 3 Hotspot Energy hybrid split units. I purchased them new and installed them in 2017. 2 of them failed in 2022 and the last one failed last week. I diid do some repairs along the way but that probably cost more than a new unit. The only thing salvagable was the solar panels and I managed to sell 9 of them to someone building their own system. I would not recommend Hotspot to anyone. The specs look good but the quality is just not there. And now that I have a full 12kw system powering everything including all my AC, I am wondering if the units ever really saved anything anyway. My electicity bill is now almost nothing but with the Hotspot units it was about $1000/month in the summer time.

Sorry to hear this.

What specifically failed?
we had refigerant leaks, one had a faulty switch, two of the units had (we think) a bearing fail in the fan motor because they started making such a loud noise that they would keep people awake at night (and thar portion was in thwle attic). The external units corroded badly (could poke fingers through the bottom of the external unit on one of them. Hotspot was pretty useless with technical support. There did not seem to be any parts available either. When the last unit failed, I did not bother to do any troubleshooting. It was faster and easier just to replace it.

Back